What Can Molasses Do For Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PaulMitchle, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I think if it made any real difference there wouldn't be so much controversy. If it harms or helps it can't do it by any significant amount.

My plants have visible growth every day. I could do a magic grow dance one evening and I would see an improvement the following day.

I'm certainly not saying it doesn't help, but I have seen no actual evidence of it helping. I experimented with it many years ago, probably about 15 years ago and I found all my results to be inconclusive. 

Every day someone tries molasses and it has been done for decades. Past experiences with ideas suggest that if there was something in it, it would have proven itself by now.

Personally I don't think it does any harm so I wouldn't advise anyone to not use it, but I'm far from convinced of it actually doing anything.

I'm sure there's going to be a queue of people saying they have seen the effects, but as I said, I could dance for my plants today and see a result tomorrow

2. ^^^^^^

What Gold Grower said. 

j

3. This would only be beneficial for soil mediums as mentioned before.
    If you use any type of AACT the molasses would be ideal and could replace your whole nute line up simply by feeding the microbes and providing a direct source of them.
    You don't want to start off at tablespoons; first feed starts at 1 teaspoon (5ml) per gallon.
    I started using biobizz liquid fertilizers and have found it to be more favorable using molasses instead of Grow and vegetative fertilizers .

4. #44 smokythunder, May 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
    This

5. "Not sure why people say to use unsulfured molasses."

Unsulphured Molasses = Sulphur = Good
    Sulphured Molasses = Sulphur Dioxode = Not good.

6. Got ya thanks.
    Does anyone know if earthjuice brand is unsulfered? It doesn't say.

7. As a side note. I was using molasses for a couple years at least once a week. I recently stopped because I read it can possibly make the plant lazy and can decrease the plants ability to produce its own singers during photosynthesis.
    You need a brix meter to properly do this experiment. Simply take a brix reading. Water with molasses for a week or two and take another brix reading. If the second brix reading is a lot higher your molasses is working and your plant isn't producing the sugars it should. Your brix reading should be around 15.
    Anyway my readings were the same with and without it so I cut the molasses out of my feed and no change in the brix or plant heath/yield. I only use it after transplants nowadays to wake up the microbes with a tasty treat.
    Anyone try foliar feeding molasses? Thats where the plant produces the sugar. It kinda makes sense. They then exude it out the roots back to the soil to feed the microbe. It may be ass backwards but thats how the plant does it. Im just done with my experiential days.
    If anyone tries this please post your results. Its a good topic!

8. I'm in the late flowering stage & I decided to use some molasses on my Bagseed that I have that I think is behind, I haven't seen any bud growth for a couple weeks , but 2 days after I Did the molasses water I saw a visible change in bud growth & the leaves started to look happier I say it does make some kind of an difference

All cannabis flowers start fattening up around week 6 or 7 regardless of what you feed them. You're just seeing what happens naturally.

I get a huge kick out of the expensive "bloom boosters" sold at the Hydro Stores that recommend feeding the product around week 6 of flower. Folks give it to their plants, the plants fatten up and the customer says "Hey! This stuff works!"

Lol

j

10. I was only supposed to use it in weeks 2-4 I used it, I only used it because I hadn't seen any improvement on my baby in weeks but after I used it I immediately seen improvement the next two days

11. i've used different forms of molasses for years and not only does it beneficially feed your micro-organisms, but also provides carbs for your plant. i use it in soil and in a foliar spray with microbes and kelp so my microbes have something to eat. if you're sick of dealing with heating up water and still losing molasses in the bottom of your bucket, this denver company key to life has a product called key to flavor which is a dehydrated molasses powder and is completely veganic and unsulfured. just make sure to spread it over the water because it is a sugar and can clump if just thrown in as a spoonful

12. I got clones off of a caregiver and he told me he added sulfur pellets to them. They were the most beautiful well rooted clones I have ever seen the stems were so strong they resembled a stick off a maple tree and they were beautiful dark green and very healthy. I planted them in the ground and they are doing phenomenal so im sure it cant hurt, but I wouldn't know for sure.

13. Such a valid sounding point, all bud blasters ever did for me was burn my leaves. I hate nutrients and additives, they are just so necessarily complicated. Im in year 1 and 2 on my compost piles at my new home. Cant wait for my home brew to be ready!

14. I love molasses! It's excellent in my homemade baked beans.

J

• Like Like x 1
  15. I heard its mostly used when you're using a mycorrhizae soil. Molasses helps replenish the soil with carbohydrates which help the plant suck up nutrients. Because mycorrhizae soil is said to make the nutrient uptake faster you're supposed to add molasses as like a balancing agent. The sweeter buds thing is crap. Imagine smoking sugar its not necesarrily sweeter. This is all just research information I will be doing a test myself as I have a plant in nice fox farms happy tree frog soil with mycorrhizae in it then sadly another in MG soil. Granted it wont be the most controlled test as they are completely different strains on different watering cycles etc etc...

16. I think anyone truly interested in molasses needs to have a good read through the "no till revisited" thread in the organic's section, the answers are in there. You'r time would be better spent doing sst, top dressing with malted barely, which is also inexpensive. Maybe foliar spray once in awhile certainly can't hurt, but that's it, it's not a magic potion.

Peace out

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. The reason you flush with molasses is because you have cut all notes out during flush so the plant is begging for anything she finds the sugar and carbs from it and she sucks it in like the fat girl she is.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Are you growing hydro or using soil with nutrients? because with growing organic the roots exudate sugars and the idea is to have the beneficial bacteria and microbes feeding from them instead of supplying extra food. It's like getting the kids to sit down to eat a healthy meal at McDonalds, it's just not going to happen. But having said that I'm not sure of the benefits to flushing using molasses because we don't need to flush, I thought the molasses molecules were to large for the roots to uptake but that would prove that theory wrong.

Respect:)

19. DO NOT USE FOOD GRADE MOLLASSAS. ALL YOUR SMOKE WILL TASTE THE SAME...IF UR DETERMINED TO USE MOLLASSAS BUY IT AT HYDRO STORE IN POWDER FORM. PERSONALLY IVE TRIED IT TIME AND TIME AND NEVER AGAIN.

20. DO NOT USE FOOD GRADE MOLLASSAS. MAKES ALL UR SMOKE TASE THE SAME...