What can I use as light during dark hours?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by napkin, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Will any light at all stress the plants if you are working in the grow room during lights off hours? Would a flash light be too much light? Should I just not go in there at all during the lights off hours?

2. Jorge Cervantes did an experiment and he found just 1candle (however they are measured) will stunt flowering. Cannabis does not react to the green end of the light spectrum. You can take a light bulb and paint it green. What i did was cut a Mello Yello bottle in half and shine a flash light through the bottom. Makes a green light. So if you HAVE to go in during the dark do it with green light.

3. Just stay out of there during dark. Get your cycle so that light times are convenient for tending to the plants. True that green light is safe, but that is pure, true green only -- any ol' light that looks green to our eyes could still be putting out other spectra/colors.

4. That is true. Im just going on what the ganja guru said. In Jorge's RX in the back of every High Times is where i found it. He said take a light and paint it green. Or buy a green light bulb. It will be fine if you absolutely have to go in there. But dont go in there and play around. Best thing to do is like toasty said and set it up right. But for some reason if a heater or a fan stops working while its dark and you have to go in then use a green light, it will be absolutely ok.

5. i dont think a tiny bit of light can affect flowering. in nature the moon gives off light...?????

6. While it may be bright its not as strong. And yes, a very very small amount of light can stunt and stop flowering all together. I think its something like 1 candle or however its measured.

7. Mother Nature does not care if her buds are long and stringy
    We do...
    She can make it up during the day with Intensity of light that we can't match in the house

Green Light is the only way to go in and have no effect.

One of the houses we had in the 80's had a running bud problem....:confused:
    after setting up a camera in the plants (we thought the "House sitter" was going in the room) we found out that our Neg. Ionizer was causing our UV Bulbs to FLASH every 43 Min's during the dark cycle :eek:

8. i run my lights-off period from 12-4am at the moment, and will be from 12am-12pm when 12/12 comes...i dont know about you, but i always sleep in and have work, so the soonest i get to the plants is like late morning on weekends and 5pm or so on weekdays.

just a recommendation on what you do for light cycles to make working in there convenient.

9. I run my lights from 11pm to 11am because it gets cold at night here and ours are in a shed outside. These way it stays warmer in there at night. But like cupcheck said, make sure you do the 12/12 around your schedule. Dont just do any random 12/12.

10. I'm pretty sure a green LED with a clear lens (or several) would be the way to go, will only emit green light.

11. it's true a very small amount of light will affect the flowering. This isn't due to there being any detectable increase in photosynthesis or anything like that, it's due to the built-in response of the plant to the changing seasons. The plant monitors the length of the dark period, if you break it it'll think it has short nights which means it's summer time so it goes back to vegetative growth.

Photoperiodism is responsive to the red and far-red spectrums so using a green light will allow you to have light without affecting the photoperiodism response.

Absorption spectrum of chlorophyll:
    [​IMG]