Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What can I do with my Cannabutter?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by boosebaster, Dec 23, 2017.

1. #1 boosebaster, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Hello, I would love some advice.

I am new to edibles, or to making them at least. I have 14g (1/2 oz for Americans) of Cannabutter, made with 4g of quite strong weed (An eighth is about 3.5g, and the strain has a THC of 24%). I'm having a nightmare figuring out both what to do and mostly the dosing - how many servings would this ultimately translate to?

I used some calculations I saw, that would suggest that the butter has about 960mg of THC in it. And at the recommended serving size of 10mg (I've seen this bandied about, it might not be right) this would make 96 cookies / servings / whatevers? That sounds like...a lot more than I expected.

My assumption is that I will make brownies from this but happy to hear suggestions. The brownie itself I'm not too bothered about, I don't have a sweet tooth, they are a delivery method more than anything, I don't want to get fat to get high, so my assumption was if I found a recipe that used, say 7g of butter, I could double that, but then cut the brownies into smaller bite-sized pieces to make them more efficient, no idea if that's a newbie baking error though! Basically I'd rather have one small brownie to get high than have to eat several!

It's hard to know my tolerance. I have a decent tolerance for smoking, but haven't had edibles much. I did have a pot brownie in Amsterdam a few years back (just a standard Bulldog Cafe one) and it did nothing for me at all.

2. The problem I find for me with edibles, is I need to be doing nothing to feel the effects. I can eat a brownie or two on an empty stomach, but try to do anything physical like yard work, working on the car etc. I don't feel a thing. But, if going to a movie or watching tv when will be sitting for a while, 45 min. or so later, it's sit sit back and enjoy the ride. That's me. Others have different experiences. Wish I could help you with your dosing questions. I don't make edibles.

3. It's not like that for me. I know this is not how to do it, but I once mixed in a spliff's worth of weed with some cookie dough and just baked one big cookie. Ate it, went to a gig, jumped up and down, never been so high or euphoric in my life!

Tasted like shit though

4. I never felt anything from Dispensary bought edibles (Nevada), But when I made my own..I was blasted in about an hour and it lasted for hours:)..Now I have a Grand Daddy Purple (My grow) cookie before bedtime and I am medicated for at least 4 hrs..I have been smoking for over 40 yrs (with a long break) and the high and tolerance are completely different with edibles..I make butter about 3-4 times a month and usually make cookies or blueberry muffins..I have a friend that is a chef and he cooks regularly with his butter.
    Last Picture is my recently purchased Levo Oil Extraction machine..It makes fabulous butter etc, with hardly any effort from me:) (Pricey though).
    Only thing is I like making cold water hash too, so I need to grow more and more..LOL
    10-15-17 00 Kush Butter.JPG 10-07-17.JPG 10-9-17.JPG levo.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  5. I don't suppose I could request that any further responses are...you know...on topic? :/

Buzzer you seem like someone who knows a thing or two, any tips on the dosing?

6. Thank you, but I have been using a guess method (I grow a few strains and mix them in the butter).
    Then I used a store bought bag of Betty Crocker Cookie dough mix and bake about 2 dozen cookies per 1/4 lb of canna butter(Their recipe calls for 1/3lb, not 1/4lb)..I have no way to test my homegrown weed, but it is quite potent..(a guess would be in the 20's)
    That seems about right for me..careful, I hear you feel TERRIBLE if you do too much..try a little and WAIT for an hr before eating more;)!!

7. If that 24% is correct (a big if), then the original 4 g herb contained about (0.24)*(4000 mg ) = 960 mg.
    Strained butter is only about 50% efficient at extracting THC, so that gets reduced to 480 mg.
    One Colorado dose is 10 mg, but that's too low for most people, so I'd make 40 mg doses and cut them into quarters or halves if necessary.
    That means using a brownie mix/recipe to make 12 brownies.
    Try to use as little baking time/temp as possible, because it will slowly degrade thc.

In the future, greatly simplify the process, and double the potency, by doing the following:
    (1) Decarb @ 240 F for 40 min using a verifying thermometer (or better yet Ardent Lift/Nova).
    (2) Grind to fine powder.
    (3) Mix into the oil of any recipe, or simply add to nut butter/nutella.
    Using whole herb produces the strongest possible edibles from a given amount of original herb.
    You can quickly and easily prove to yourself that this works by trying the nut butter method with 1/4 to 1/2 gram herb.

8. We always had a junior member of the firm for the Dead Man Switch routine.
    Give him a heavy dose and then if he dies (sleeps) switch to half that amount.
    Rarely had to go through 3 thralls.

9. I can't see 4 gram been enough i use 100 gram at a time to make my butter for cakes n brownies [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

10. Your maths has to be way out 4 gram would make no where near that dose or amount of cookies

11. Well I showed my working, that's quite an established method for working out dosing, it's everywhere around the web, though I can't prove its veracity from experience. It also never mentions halving the THC like bkarnaze said though...

This is made from "Barneys Farm LSD" so the weed used was exceptionally strong at 24% THC, more than twice the usual which I believe is around 10%? So that might factor in to why so many cookies, as well as the 10mg recommended standard dose, which I do think is likely to be very low for most people.

Anyway, I've used half of the butter on 12 brownies. I've eaten half of one, will finish it in an hour or so and see what happens. Maybe I will need to eat 2 or 3 after all!

12. #12 Joker1121, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Your calculations are correct- 960mg THC. As far as dosing, yes 96 10 gram edibles is not a good idea. You'll be better served by just using part of the butter in your recipe, topping off with regular butter. We Americans use cups as a measurement, and teaspoons, tablespoons, maybe mg. LOL. I'd use just half or even 1/4 of the butter and base your next edibles on the effects you got the first time. Since you don't have a sweet tooth you want them strong, but not dangerous. I'd aim for 40-50 mg per brownie big enough to cut into four pieces. Also the strain will make a difference. A sativa may be racy and subtle, while an indica can cause couchlock. Good luck, have fun, enjoy and please let us know what you did. It helps the next person.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Four grams at 24% THC = 4000mg X 24% = 960 mg. At 10 mg per dose you would have a bunch of doses. What I forgot is we don't know how the cannabutter was made. If cannabis was strained from the butter it can decrease potency by 50%. That makes a big difference.

14. But just cos a seed bank says a strains 24 percent that's the max it will be so would take a awesome grower to hit the percentage thc so without having his bud tested we will never know but I back cakes and make butter all the time and 4gram isn't much weed to get that many doses out

• Like Like x 1
  15. The only way I do it is I start with say a small bit of whatever the edible is and by the second or third time, I know my dosage amount moving forward for that specific batch. Trial and error over a period of a couple days and I mostly err on the side of caution when starting on a new batch of whatever. All the number mean zilch to me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Put some of that shit over popcorn too if you still have any left.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Thanks for this. I assumed that actual batch of cannabis had been tested. Now that I think about it that wouldn't make any sense because THC content varies for different parts of the plant. By weight that would make eight doses for me, likely very potent if the cannabis is stirred into the mix.

18. You get about 8 brownies per batch so each one would be 120mg very stoney

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. So in the end I worked out that a good dose for me with this batch would be if I had made 6 brownies from the original amount. I don't think it's anywhere near as strong (much less than half) as originally anticipated, though maybe I also have a higher than expected tolerance. What some of you have said is the only answer when you have an unknown situation like this - if you don't want to be on your ass you probably need to go through a fair amount of what you have (especially with this many unknowns) to find the right dose, which also took several days. I originally made 12 with half the butter. Had half...nothing. Had a full one, nothing, 2, the beginnings of something, 3, nearly there, then 4 was on the money. That is 10 of the original 12! So I have three doses left with the other half of the butter. Ah well, not sure I liked that edibles high anyway...VERY relaxing which is nice, but I was hoping for something euphoric and energetic (which I get when smoking) for clubbing and sex and stuff!