What are your views on remaining friends with an ex?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by harley19, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Hey, blades! I've got a question for you. How do you feel towards being friends with an ex? Does it depend on the circumstances? Should it never be done?

What do you guys think? I'm trying to decide whether I want to cut contact, or keep my ex as a friend. Whatch'ya think? :wave:

2. Depends on how the break up was.
    Personally I don't think there's any point in remaining friends, but then again every break up I have had eventually turns ugly.

3. Definitely depends on the circumstances. I have only one ex who I talk to at least weekly, and I have one ex whom i never want to talk to again, ever.

The one that I do talk to, is one of the only relationships that has ended where both us agree that we should not be together. It was also a rather short relationship too, probably 4 months.

We were basically just friends while we were dating anyways, so it wasn't hard to just remain friends at all.

I'd say that if you ever considered yourself in love with an ex, you're only making things harder for yourself and them by remaining in contact with them.

4. Yeah, I agree with you man.

My ex and I broke up about 5 days ago. She said she was in love with me, and she's still not over me. She's been trying to get me back; and I'm still undecided about it.

She asked me if I wanted to hangout today as "just friends", and how we won't talk about anything. Just two friends hanging out.

5. if me and my current girlfriend break up I kinda want to stay friends.. but you gotta give them/eachother 1-3 months.. (or more...) to get over you and understand that it is actually over. Then if you want you can hang out again, but best not to hang out alone...group kinda thing from now on in my opinion. (Alone would lead to maybe wanting to get intimate..there were reasons u broke up but if u thought they were beautiful once, in the right conditions things could heat up, then you would maybe regret it cuz you only wanted a hook up)

6. I agree, depends on circumstances and how much you liked her. If it seemed as though you two were more or less just friends with benefits than had an actual relationship, or if it was a short lived relationship, staying friends is alright so long as she didn't cheat on you during that time, or at least to your knowledge she didn't.

However if it's a girl that you fell in love with, and still do love, it's a bad idea to be her friend. Reason being as friends you'll do things like go out to dinner with a group or whatever. Lets say you go out to dinner with her, some friends, and her new boyfriend is there to. The whole time all that's going to go through your head if your anything like me is, "That guy's dick is going to go into her mouth tonight, and more thoughts ensue." If you still have feelings for her it'll feel like she's going to cheat on you with him even though you two aren't together anymore, and you'll know that you can't do anything about it. That would be frustrating as hell.

Keeping in touch though, maybe through facebook, or texting once in a while from a distance, that's alright. Because you never know if you and her may want to give it another go.

7. I've only had one ex that I remained friendly with, because we had a son together. As soon as he turned 19, that was the end of the friendliness on my part.

Based on my experience and those around me, it just doesn't work. Everybody is different though, I guess.

8. I've never had a "bad" breakup with anyone. I'm still friends with my first ex. We're not bestfriends, but when we see each other we talk and laugh. Most of my other exes live in other states, but no hard feelings from any of em.