What are you reading!?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Dryice, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Let's see, in the last 2 months ive read Confessions of an economic hit man, outliers, and End the Fed.

I should try some fiction...

2. I'm always reading several books at once - depending on my mood. And if one is really good, I'll usually finish it and then go back to the others.

Currently starting the Sookie Stackhouse novels... on the first one.

"Popism: The Warhol Sixties" by Andy Warhol and Pat Hackett... I have a pretty weird obsession with the "warhol Sixties" as they apparently say. <3 Edie Sedgwick

"Tramps Like Us"... its a book full of stories from NJ... my beloved home..

aaand "I'm Having More Fun Than You" by Aaron Karo basically a book talking about the benefits of staying single...

and waiting on my copy of the Three Sheets book that I should get in the mail tomorrow! Ahhh Amazon Prime..

3. the best part of a book is reading it a second time, in my opinion. Currently re-reading Steppenwolf by my Hermann Hesse

4. Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to read Confessions of an Economic Hitman for a while. How was it, incidentally?

5. haha. That's so weird. I came in here to post I was reading this, and figured that there was no way anyone else would post the same book.

Grok me. Grok me good. :p

I've been REALLY slowly reading it because I've been so busy, but it's time to just sit down and knock it out.

I have a few books I'd like to quickly read after that and before finally committing myself to the long task of reading the Dark Tower series. I promised my boyfriend i would read it if he'd read the Golden Compass. It's not really a fair deal, but whatever.

6. good. the first 3/4 of the book are interesting and cool, the last quarter is john perkins being a douchebag. but def, give it a read.

Anyone every read Sticky Fingers:Managing the Global Risk of Economic Espionage? i just picked it up.

7. #27 Fresh Error, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  8. It's exellent so far! King is a detail freak which I love. I'm only on page 400 something out of a thousand, so I still have a ways to go. & I'm not going to spoil it for ya, read it yourself ;)

9. At the moment, I'm reading three different books.

One book is called "Bud Inc." It's basically about marijuana sales.

The second book is called "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and is actually a pretty boring read.

I forgot what my third book is called, but it's in a series. The series is called "Cirque Du Freak."

10. I've been listening to the whole DT series on audiobook all winter. I'm in book 7 now. I've read all 7 printed before and listened on my ipod once before as well. Been doing some of it high, and some sober. Fun stuff.

Edit: + rep to both of you!

11. Freakonomics is one of my favorite books.
    when SuperFreakonomics came out I went to a book signing with steven levitt and stephen dubner where I got to hear them speak about the book for like 2 hours, a copy of the book and i got to "meet" them(handshake and a quick question) while they were signing my copy. SF is ok, not as good as the first one, still pretty good.

12. Stranger is actually a pretty famous book. i wouldn't be too surprised if many people on grasscity were reading it considering it was influential to the 60's generation.

13. i just finished independence day by richard ford, waht a book! the sportswriter was ace too

does anyone else think frank bascombe is the biggest stoner thats not a stoner? if you see what i mean:rolleyes:

14. It is Stephen King's best works. It touches many other books he has written, along with combing the universes from each and explaining it all. And the ending. . . spectacular.

I highly recommend it and you have a good boy friend for making you do this. :p

15. It's famous, but only people who are really into sci fi have ever heard of it. I don't see many of the people of gc as reading that type of thing. It's a kind of book that you need to work through, and while there are a lot of people here that enjoy that, and don't like just reading mindless fiction that is basically spoonfed, they are definitely not the majority.

So.... I do still think it's an interesting coincidence.

16. ive been reading a couple different books lately. the norton anthology of short stories is full of a variety of great work. from avant garde to classic. ive been reading Daniel Mendhelson's The Elusive Embarace, a brilliant meditation on life, identity, and the homosexual culture. been off and on reading Poe's collected works, i've read it before but the man is a fucking genuis. and of course i read Rolling Stone, OUT magazine, and High Times religuously. next to sex, gaming and music, reading's my favorie passtime baked. much better than most movies.

17. Finished Alan Watts' book, it was amazing, I highly suggest it. It's geared for an Atheist audience, I'll warn, however.

On to a relatively short (60 pages) essay on Positive Philosophy by August Comte.

18. Tweak. its a true story of a wealthy kid that starts into drugs and alchohol at a young age, then spends his life in and out of rehab and eventually winds up slinging rocks in san fran. about half way done and can barely put it down.

19. haha yesss take out gaming and switch reading with music you and I are in concurrence.
    I've been all over with my books lately, haven't started anything new just reading old stuff. started (re)reading Steppenwolf, then The Ticket That Exploded, I kept going with the Burroughs theme and read a lot out of Word Virus now I'm (re)reading Queer, i'll probably finish that soon.

I would love to start a book club. I dont know how well it'd go.

Edit.,
    Anyone a fan of House of Leaves?