What are you reading!?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Dryice, Mar 13, 2010.

1. I've started the Go-Giver by Bob Burg. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend. It's really not very long.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Penthouse letters

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bel ami from Maupassant

• Like Like x 1
  4. Loved the heck out of Trainspotting - how was this one?

J

5. Funny how some suck you in instantly - To the point where you just can’t put it down until you’re done - but others don’t.

J

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Really good

• Like Like x 1
  7. Orwell - 1984

• Like Like x 1
  8. [​IMG]
    Highly predictable content..for those who have never left home or gone camping..then things may go wrong..?
    if needing to survive a nuclear war or earthquake or even a pack of hobos this is not for you.
    Old boy scouts with rope fetish and those who enjoy cold baked beans ...Yes

I am Alex Pitt, adventurer, climber, survivor, nomad, traveler and writer. I am here to give you the basics of outdoor survival in the most easy-to-read and understand way. Even if you have never hiked or explored the great outdoors, this book will be your introduction. I wish I had a guide as detailed as this one when I first started my outdoor adventures. After reading this book you will be able to find sustenance in creatures that you would not normally eat, create a fire without using any match, search for water in a barren environment and a lot more!
    www.goodreads.com/book/show/27853346-dummies-guide-to-survival

• Like Like x 3
  9. That is a really good series. I read most of those books while quite high, so don't remember the details too well... but I nonetheless enjoyed reading them :p. I think I'm going to read them again.

I just finished reading Gremlins by George Gipe. A man buys a Gremlin as a gift for his son from a Chinese antiques store, but all hell breaks loose when the Gremlin creates more Gremlins. It's a pretty predictable book (based on a movie) but it was nonetheless an enjoyable read. It's like a Stephen King sort of book, but I found it more funny than it was scary.

10. Old thread I see, still going though. I'm reading "Social Statics" by Herbert Spencer right now. Already read it once a little over a year ago. You know how that goes though, you end up forgetting parts of it and want to remember it so you end up reading it again.

11. When do you guys do most of your reading, I can never find decent chunks of time to do it.

12. Whatever I'm reading at the present time I usually read one or two chapters every night before bed. Also I'm single now and have no kids, on the weekends I'm free to do pretty much whatever. A lot of times this means binge reading for me, lol. I do most of my learning from books, so I do a fair amount of reading.

13. Now I'm reading Beware of God by Shalom Auslander. It is a small collection of funny (and somewhat philosophical) short stories. My favorite story is Bobo the Self-Hating Chimp. It tells the story of a chimpanzee in a zoo named Bobo who one day who becomes self conscious. The opening paragraph reads "At 9:37 in the otherwise ordinary morning of May 25, Bobo, a small chimpanzee in the Monkey House of the Bronx Zoo, achieved total conscious self-awareness". He struggles to explain his deeply philosophical realizations to the other chimpanzees in the zoo, and it is both sad and funny.

14. [​IMG]
    A farm is taken over by its overworked, mistreated animals. With flaming idealism and stirring slogans, they set out to create a paradise of progress, justice, and equality. Thus the stage is set for one of the most telling satiric fables ever penned—a razor-edged fairy tale for grown-ups that records the evolution from revolution against tyranny to a totalitarianism just as terrible.
    When Animal Farm was first published, Stalinist Russia was seen as its target. Today it is devastatingly clear that wherever and whenever freedom is attacked, under whatever banner, the cutting clarity and savage comedy of George Orwell’s masterpiece have a meaning and message still ferociously fresh.

A blatant rip on the USSR way of communism, its a riot and grand laugh,

so hard to believe it was written by a Brit post WW2.

a cartoon was later released claiming it was financed by the cia ...lol

thats next ...lol

the west version of Russia hasn't changed much ...lets hope it don't

unintentional comedy 9/10

Grasscity Deals Near You