what are we? who are we? how are we?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by gram the chill, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Three simple questions, with inclinations towards zen and profundity.

What are we? Are we just the random genetic mutation of apes that gave us some cognizance of our own existence? What is this awareness that we possess, and where does it originate from? Do animals possess this self awareness, this sentience, this consciousness, that we possess?

Who are we? Are we a product of our environment, or a product of what made us? I personally believe we are more than the sum of our actions, but, what is an action? What value does it have? How does that value impact our existence as a whole? With enough small changes, even mountains can be born.

How are we? I mean that in the sense of, how are we here? How are we living, breathing, and systematically organizing and categorizing life into a simpler way of understanding it? How are we achieving everything that we are achieving? Science can only tell you so much.

For the unexplained, why don't we all just explain it ourselves? There's no such thing as a bad idea, no such thing as a stupid statement; even the most ignorant of thoughts can spark pure beauty and wisdom if interpreted the right way. There is no fear, there is no pain, there is only life; let's interpret it together GOGOGOGO

2. remove your gender, your thought process, and your ethnicity. then what are you? the same as everyone else. we're existence, like everything else in the universe

3. But what is existence? How is it quantified and qualified? Is it a purely physical phenomenon, a byproduct of brain activity? Or is it something more? What causes existence? Is it taken from or added to? Is there a balance? Is there a pattern? Take away the differences and we're all the same, except even removing the thought process, natural selection favors those who can differentiate or set themselves out from the norm in a positive way. It's evolution to be able to evaluate a situation, impress emotions upon it, and possess an evolved thought process. Genetic selection occurs through generations. Social selection occurs rapidly, with every interaction one has. You can't take it all away because it will just come back. What then?

4. it's impossible to know. we're merely incapable of finding out an answer like that

5. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. We know that reality to us is simply a creation in the brain, but what is it that creates the existance?

A computer can have a camera and microphone plugged into it and have sensory stimulus just like us, but that dosent give it consciousness. I believe the answered to this is far beyond our comprehension.

We humans only see about 1/100 of the electromagnetic spectrum. Dark matter makes up most universal mass and we can't even see or interact with it. According to certain interpretations of quantum theory there could in fact be multiple if not infinite universes of probability. With finite minds such as our own we will never be able to fully understand.

The strangest thing I have ever experienced, is life itself.

6. the strangest thing i've ever experienced is being able to consciously hold cognizance that something is strange