What are those boxes???

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by trelli37, Jul 3, 2009.

1. A lot of times when I see pics of grow rooms I see what appears to be a wooden box in the ventilation system....what is this used for?? Is it to dampen the sound of the fan??? I know this question may sound stupid to some but it eludes me what it exactly is used for. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

2. if you post a pic it would help in the identification process

3. Could be for noise reduction or could be a filter... as Stoogemeister says... post a picture or a link

4. I use a lightbox on my passive intake to keep light from entering my room. Is that what you are talking about?

5. #5 mjbuddd, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
  6. As mentioned, a picture of what you mean would help (or even ask the person who posted the picture for a definite answer).

Most likely, it's either a light trap (making sure no light gets out) or it is part of the ventilation system. Judging by the wooden box contruction mentioned, it is most likely the following; A negative pressure box containing the usual style of carbon air scrubber.

Basically, the proper way to hook up these popular types of air filter (the circular can-shaped filters with cotton padding on the outside as a prefilter) is to have air being drawn in to the filter from outside of it (rather than being pushed into it as some people have them hooked up). However, this presents the problem that these common types of air filter don't often have any outer duct work (as in, your just looking at the white cotton prefilter where air is drawn in from all around it). A common way to make this work along with your ducting is to build a negative pressure box as mentioned, which simply has ducting going to the box from the grow room and ducting going out of the box on the other side attached to the air filter (which is inside the negative pressure box made of wood or whatever) and with the inline fan pulling air from the filter.

So basically it's a way of keeping a clear air path with ducting while making the best use of these common can-style air filters (which are designed to go at the beginning intake of your ducting rather than somewhere in the middle of your ductwork). More expensive filters have an outer layer of ducting that goes around the whole thing, which basically works the same way as building one of these boxes but just looks like a bulge in the ductwork when installed.