What are these bugs?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Cannabliss88, Jun 8, 2011.

1. I've been trying to figure out what kind of bugs I have on my plants. Just noticed them yesterday and theres more today.

They're very small, soft and white. I don't see any wings and they don't seem capable of flying but they hop like crazy. They like to hang out on the underside of the leaves but come to the top or hop like 2 feet away when disturbed. The way they hop is like a cricket or grasshopper.

I'm growing 2 organic plants (link to grow journal in sig.) so I'm looking for 100% organic things that would repel or kill these motherfukkers before they destroy my 2 healthy plants which are taking off like crazy.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me identify and come up with organic solutions for these strange critters.

I took this picture this morning:
    [​IMG]

2. Looks like an aphid to me? :confused:

3. That was my first guess but they look a little different from the pictures I've dug up so far.:confused:

Either way I need to get them off my plants asap

Still I can't seem to identify them 100%

Their main feature is that they hop as far as a grasshopper but are so small. They seem to be gathering on the undersides of the leaves and I'm getting worried

4. Hmm... They're like some whitefly aphid hybrid:confused:

Does anyone know if aphids can hop cause if not that would rule out aphids

5. ahhh that was the other one I was trying to think of but just couldent put a finger on it.

6. Aphids are plant lice... do fleas jump? Do head lice jump? Yeah, like a mofo!

I'm 95% certain thats an aphid.

7. #8 Cannabliss88, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011

But they are not actual lice at all, nor fleas as far as I can tell. Does anyone know if aphids specifically can jump?

Edit: My research so far has told me that aphids aren't jumpers and they're not the kind of bug to jump away fast.

I wonder if they are young whiteflys that haven't grown wings yet.

I'm about to look into leafhoppers to see if they fit the profile

Edit 2: Nope not leafhoppers either

My first guess is still whiteflys. Maybe young whiteflys?:confused::confused::confused:

8. I meant since you said they're jumping like crazy, and looks very similar to a white aphid then it probably is an aphid.

Aphids are a member of the lice family. LICE jump like fucking crazy! A grasshopper would be jealous.

If they are Aphids, then they are indeed 100% lice. ;)

9. I am agreeing with Olesmoky on this one, I'll put my vote in for aphid.

10. I don't think so. Every source I've found so far says that aphids don't jump or not that far at least and only in emergencies

And when I say these things jump I mean they LEAP

11. This the start of the article on aphids from wikipedia:

Aphids
    , also known as plant lice and in Britain and the Commonwealth as greenflies, blackflies or whiteflies, (not to be confused with "jumping plant lice" or true whiteflies) are small sap sucking insects, and members of the superfamily Aphidoidea.
    Aphid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. I'm still saying Aphid.

13. I have never had white flies but I hear they are WHITE like a piece of copy paper. White flies should have wings and a short life cycle if I remember correctly too.

14. They are white Plant lice.

No species of Aphid has ever jumped.

Neem the fuckerz.

Freak
    :smoke:

15. I guess the source I was reading from was innacurate. Excuse me for the spread of misinformation. The site I was reading off of referred to woolly aphids as plant lice, so I assumed they were in the lice family. That is my mistake.

16. Youre not wrong bro.

Its funny, cuz depending where u live, the same insect
    has many different Alias's. Nicknames and stuff.

:wave:

Freak

17. White plant lice is a new one by me, they don't look very nice though. Doing a google image search for 'white plant lice' I got these 2 results that look similar to yours.

Notice the file name says white-aphids, but search was for white lice... go figure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I think you may be right. Gotta look into this more but either way I'm doing something about these little bastards asap.

I wonder if deer off would repel them with all that garlic and mint oil. I'll give that a try and see what happens. I have some already and I really should spray it just to keep the deer away since there's been a lot of new growth in the past couple weeks but if that doesn't work I'll try some garlic and chili concoction or possible neem.

Thank you all for helping me with this enigma

19. If u incorporate Neem into your regular
    plant maintenance schedule from the
    start, chances are that most pot-smoking
    insects wont wanna even stop by your plants
    for a session.

Freak