What are these bugs!?!?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by sasmith93, Mar 16, 2013.

1. So I am a few weeks into veg, I have three plants in my closet. The genetics are all the church from greenhouse seeds. Right now I have two of them in plastic cups and one sitting in some organic super soil (3gal pot). I was basically going to use nutes on the two in cups and grow the other organic to compare different mediums and training methods. The two in cups are doing great, about 10 inches tall. Nodes are popping everywhere, but when I was admiring them I noticed a tiny green bug, now I saw one of these bugs about a week ago. When I tried to pick it up it simply leaped to another plant. That's when I caught him and smashed him. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But now I see another one. He did the same thing when I tried to catch him. Just jumped away. I caught him and smashed him. They were lime green and maybe a little bigger than the end of a ballpoint pen. I've now also noticed these weird little clear spheres, and clear crusted over areas on leaves. Can anyone tell me what this is? I have no idea if the two problems are related but I would love to get some opinions cause I'm stumped.

Thank you guys in advance!

2. Could you get a photo of them? Tiny green bug doesn't really narrow it down much.

My guess would be that it is a greenbug aphid, but it is a pretty big guess. If this were the case, they will definitely eventually do damage to your plants and should be controlled. "Google" that bug and look at a couple pics. Otherwise try and get a photo, or describe it better.

3. yup sounds like a aphid to me, they hate the cold dont see them much here

4. Kill them fast... aphids get out of control quick! Check out my post about root aphids. Took me over a year to exterminate them.

5. So I've even researching alot and I'm almost positive is aphids. One of the only remedies I've seen is these sprays. Problem is I am in veg and there's no time they aren't in the light. So the leaves will burn if wet. This is seriously stressing me out. I need this crop and I'm noticing more and more. What do I do?!? I feel like I need to act now to make this easy. One again these are maybe foot tall plants that are getting 24 hours of light in my closet. Suggestions?

6. Move them into your bathtub, turn on the fart fan if you have one in your bathroom and spray them with a pesticide. Its probably too late for an organic remedy. A better solution would be to use a pirethium bomb or spray and leave the fan off and suffocate those little suckers. Just leave the area for a couple hours, and air it out when you return, you dont want to breath that stuff.
    $$

7. Im not sure where your set up is or how its set up but when i ran into that problem last year i unleashed a few lady bugs in my room and the problem was controlled in a day or 2 then the lady bugs just disappeared...i would give it a shot

8. Otherwise get a timer, and cut their light down to 20 on/4 off. It won't stress them or anything, and then you will have the sufficient dark period to apply the spray.

9. I see you talked about this awhile ago but 24hrs of light is super bad for your plants they NEED darkness the most i would ever do is 20/4 

10. Plants don't NEED darkness. The only reason ppl see more growth with a dark period is because the plants are stretching a little more.

Op - neem oil should work for you to keep the adults at bay and you can add neem cake as a top dress to help stop them breeding in your soil. Sand also works well as a top dress against aphids. You may want to check your grow area a little more as well because I think you may have ants. While they alone won't hurt your plants they farm aphids and could be the source of your problem.

11. Plants don't NEED darkness. The only reason ppl see more growth with a dark period is because the plants are stretching a little more.

Op - neem oil should work for you to keep the adults at bay and you can add neem cake as a top dress to help stop them breeding in your soil. Sand also works well as a top dress against aphids. You may want to check your grow area a little more as well because I think you may have ants. While they alone won't hurt your plants they farm aphids and could be the source of your problem.