What are these brown spots?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Dark Matter, Sep 13, 2009.

1. These spots have recently appeared only on one of six plants and are only on a couple of leaves. They are 20 days old and have not been given any nuts yet. They are under a 250 watt HPS bulb and are otherwise doing very well. I checked the PH and it is a little low at 5.8, i'm going to try to bring this up now. The strain is BC big bud if that matters.
    thanx for any help!

P1010014.jpg

trouble1.jpg

trouble2.jpg

2. That would indeed be my first course of action ...
    I'm impressed; someone that doesn't think they have to start fertilizing a 3 day old seedling. Kudos!

Sinc.
    SlackerBee

3. Thanx.... I think :) that is 3 WEEKS old of course...Could low PH cause those spots?

4. Yeah, that was definitely a compliment :) ... Way Too many peeps out there fert the ever-lovin' shit out of their plants from the get go and then wonder why they're having problems.

PH problems can cause MANY deficiencies. 5.8 isn't awful for a soil grow, but if you bring it up to 6.5 or so for several days, you can make a more informed decision as to whether any additional steps are needed.

HTH,
    Sinc.
    SlackerBee

5. The majority of the time, rust spots or odd leaf growth patterns are caused by environmental conditions, not nute burn as is often thought. The rust spots often appear due to over-transpiration, meaning the plant has been exposed to too much light and heat. The 250w light isn't a bad choice, but try backing the plant away from it 3-4" and see how it reacts. And I will also give you kudos for not adding nutes yet. Its good to see somebody with patience.....it will pay off in the end. :smoke:

6. The plants are now 12 inches away from the light, with any luck this will help. I could not find anything called dolomite lime at Lowes though. I did find something called "fast acting lime" that claims to raise PH. Do you guys think this will work?

7. Keep looking...it's called "garden lime" too. You want dolomite lime because it has both Cal and Mag...two things the plant wants. No hurry, you don't need to dump something on it right away.