Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What are the effects of cannabis on fertility?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by GreenRangerFOH, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Because I don't even know. StormCrow Caw Caw Help me Caw Caw. Thanks alot.

2. Nothing your fine. /thread

3. dude just go to Granny's account page and look dat shiiit up. :smoke:

4. BBC NEWS | Health | Marijuana smoking damages sperm I am a big proponent of marijuana but it does have some negatives. I dont think it lowers sperm count but it does effect it in some sort of negative way. Realistically anything you put into your body could effect your sperm/seminal count.

5. Did you even read that article? They basically say "cannabis does SOMETHING to male fertility, we don't know what, this is what happens."

They use NO scientific basis for any of this, it is pure propaganda.

Myth: Marijuana Causes Sterility and Lowers Testosterone

Government experts concede that pot has no permanent effect on the male or female reproductive systems.1 A few studies have suggested that heavy marijuana use may have a reversible, suppressive effect on male testicular function.2 A recent study by Dr. Robert Block has refuted earlier research suggesting that pot lowers testosterone or other sex hormones in men or women.3 In contrast, heavy alcohol drinking is known to lower testosterone levels and cause impotence. A couple of lab studies indicated that very heavy marijuana smoking might lower sperm counts. However, surveys of chronic smokers have turned up no indication of infertility or other abnormalities.

Less is known about the effects of cannabis on human females. Some animal studies suggest that pot might temporarily lower fertility or increase the risk of fetal loss, but this evidence is of dubious relevance to humans.4 One human study suggested that pot may mildly disrupt ovulation. It is possible that adolescents are peculiarly vulnerable to hormonal disruptions from pot. However, not a single case of impaired fertility has ever been observed in humans of either sex.

Footnotes

1. Dr. Christine Hartel, loc. cit.

2. NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES Report, pp. 94-9.

3. Dr. Robert Block in Drug and Alcohol Dependence 28: 121-8 (1991).

4. NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES Report, p. 97-8.

~NORML's Marijuana Health Mythology