What are the disadvantages of E-cigarette?

Discussion in 'E-Liquids & E-Juice, E-Cigarettes' started by kevin_27, Oct 9, 2017.

1. What are the disadvantages of E-cigarette?

2. @kevin_27
    Your still inhaling something you really probably shouldn't be namely a mix of PG and VG
    Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin.
    It goes in and it's got to be coating the insides of your lungs.
    Compared to smoking actual cigarettes it's way, way safer but vs just breathing E cigs are not good.
    I made up some canna E juice for the days I need an extra boost in my meds but I cough up sputum a few hours later if I vape E juice. So no doubt some glycerin is staying behind and irritating my already damaged lungs from decades of smoking.
    BNW

3. How do you make your liquid? I was thinking alcohol extraction then mixing it with some PG and a little VG

4. @yeetbw
    Exactly like that. Alcohol tincture then around 10% of that into a 30-70 PG-VG blend.
    BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. It isn't a disadvantage necessarily, but the long term effects of inhaling vg/pg and flavor compounds if you use them are completely unknown, and won't be known until they happen, if they happen.

There was actually a compound that was being used in them, that's also the compound that makes popcorn butter smell the way it does, and that stuff is known to cause issues when inhaled... I believe it has been phased out but there is no regulation to prevent it's use.

6. Cigarettes are bad, E-cigarettes are too, but less.
    But you end up smoking e - cig 10x times more than you did with cigs, cause you can do it everywhere, all the time, and at the end its all the same.

7. @SIRSOG
    Diacetyl, Acetyl Propionyl and Acetoin.
    All 3 were implicated in the popcorn lung scare but the trace amounts found in flavors are several billon times less then what affected workers at the popcorn plant.
    The replacement chemical is butyric acid, the same chemical as Vomit and is intollable to many home mixers and we deliberately seek out the older Diketone containing flavors.
    BNW

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Popcorn lung lol

Well at least it's good to know it's way less.

9. Disadvantages?
    They require batteries, so if you aren't prepared it can mean a few hours without vaping. Some allow pass through charging, but it can lead to early failure in some devices.
    In many areas, quality hardware is hard to obtain.
    Factory made coils can get expensive.
    In areas where you can get good hardware it is often drastically over priced by retail vape shops.
    Even good brands of tanks can leak and cause a mess wherever the vape is stored, and possibly a short circuit causing the mod to overheat and batteries to vent.
    Leaking can occur with drastic altitude changes, I have personally had a couple of kanger mods that responded very poorly when taking trips where altitude varied by several thousand feet.
    Unless you have a real vape store nearby decent priced juice can be hard to find.
    Many juices that are sold in tobacco shops have crazy high nicotine levels that can cause mild poisoning, particularly if you are using a good sub ohm vape.
    If you have children, juice must be kept out of reach or the good tasting and smelling flavors can entice them to consume dangerous quantities should they find it without you being aware.

10. I heard that e-cigarettes contain substances or ingredients that are harmful to human.

11. From my own point of view is it costs a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Actually, you can save than smoking but, e-cigarettes are not recommended because there are some better ways to treat smoking addiction.

13. Everything is harmful to humans.

14. Im sure I’ve tried them all - but care to elaborate?

tia

15. I managed to work down to 3mg and quit back in september/october. Once I stopped, I started to get significantly less lung cramps/pains. I do have asthma, but had never experienced it before vaping.

16. Its a hassle. Needs charged, cleaned, babied. Pack of 3 coils for cascade sub ohm is $12... $20 if u go to a store. 60ml of juice is $20-$30. I find it makes my lungs more sensitive (coughing more from bong rippers).

17. Ill never buy another kangertek product. the all in one kit in like 2015 always leaked, the juice always spits into ur mouth. only time it was great was if u did the coils urself.

18. For anyone quitting smoking with vaping, it's not entirely clear what science has to say because vaping is still so new but Public Health England's independent review says that "vaping poses only a small fraction of the risks of smoking and switching completely from smoking to vaping conveys substantial health benefits"... so there's that.

But if you're not using e-cigs to quit smoking then it's another story entirely. Basically, what are you even doing in the first place?

E-cig disadvantages... Compared to smoking? None IMO. Compared to cigarettes, e-cigs:
    • Taste better
    • Stink less
    • Don't make everything you own smell like crap
    • Don't stain your teeth brown
    • Don't line your airways with tar
    • Cost less to use (in most cases)
    The list probably goes on and on but that's what comes to mind.

If you're not comparing e-cigs to smoking and are just comparing them to breathing then the disadvantages are probably everything: they cost more than breathing, they carry more risk than clean air, etc. Non-smokers who aren't trying to use e-cigs to quit smoking shouldn't even think of vaping IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. So I used to smoke cigarettes and I used e-cigs to quit. Physically, I definitely feel better. They also cost me less money. I use a refillable system so I buy fairly cheap e-juice and the pods/cartridges I use aren't all that much. So I end up spending very little compared to when I smoked. I'd spend 4 figures a year vaping and now I spend 3 figures. Noticeable difference.

I also started vaping more of my herb instead of smoking it. This, to me, also feels better.

20. I think the biggest danger is unqualified batteries, which are usually the most common