What are the creditials of a GC moderator?

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Tunguso, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Tunguso, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
    Has anyone else had a unexplainable event on GC were a thread or a text vanishes?

Or you feel that your ideas have been unfairly dismissed at the personal discretion of a moderator?

I would like to know what checks and balances are in place to ensure fair practice by moderators?

What powers do they actually have and is all action taken accounted for.

PS: I know I havent worded it in the most pleasant way but its straight to the point.
    if any of my personal views can be viewed before I make a post, I suggest providing a pop up screen or some type of notification.

2. like any position of authority the main check and balance is the people they have authority over.

3. They have the ultimate power to do whatever they want and you can't do anything about it.

Mods=gods

4. you dont be talkin about these mods they'll put you on a milk carton

5. You mean like the mob is rome, keep the mob happy etc etc. Sorry but thats so typical of the mentality nowdays, is to answer a question with a question.

You may say "no" its not a question. Ok, but I have to fucking answer it before I can move onto the original request.

Im not saying that the moderators are abusing our trust and manipulating our online enviroment for their own personal gain but...

I would like a conscise answer to a reasonable question.

6. You must be willing to deny people their right to free speech.

7. Who are you asking Jimi ?

8. Sorry, I just responded to the thread title without reading any of the actual thread. Guess that was a bit out of context...

9. lol thats extreme activism.

10. I've been posting on several message boards for several years now and if there's one thing they all have in common it's that 99% of users simply do not read the rules.

Of the 1% who do, half of them want to challenge them.

Most rules, (especially on a forum like this one I imagine) are not designed primarily to restrict your free speech, but instead to prevent liabilities on the part of the people responsible for the content of the board.

After the whole limiting-liability issue is dealt with, then you've got the problem of keeping things organized so that shit can be found. This is where threads get moved, or assimilated in to one larger thread etc...so that information is easily accessible and the boards aren't cluttered.

Once that's settled, you've got the problem of having to go around and read 8000 conversations a day and make sure that no one's feeling are getting hurt by mean angry posters who say things to sensitive little pansies who then cry and send the mods 1000pms a day each.

The most ironic part of this is, is that for the most part, mods are not compensated for this in any way. It's practically unheard of for a mod on a message board to be paid for the countless hours that they dedicate to making a place for us to have so much fun online. Then on top of that, they usually get called assholes on a constant basis by those 99% of people who do not read the rules, and that 1/2 of the 1% who do.

I wonder what the suicide rate is for moderators....

11. There is no such thing as free speech on a privatively owned forum! Basically you need to be a stand up blade who will put the good of the forum before your friends and clicks on said forum!

12. I know in all fairness we are talking about volunteers, personally I dont have greif with any moderator or Grass city in any shape or form.

Im basically wanting to know what type of ethical framework moderators work within.

13. I think it's a purely pragmatic one for the most part.

14. Fixed.

15. #15 Madmike420, Jan 11, 2011
  16. #16 Jimi Thing, Jan 11, 2011
    I see you like to use exclaimation points! It makes you're posts sound like Jerry Seinfeld is yelling in my head! If your claim is that I have not thoroughly researched the subject, you are correct! If you care to enlighten me, I'd be happy to learn! I'm sure you're a busy person though, so don't feel obligated to do so!

I see you have edited your post with a link! I shall revisit it later! I need to sleep!

17. As a consumer, can i trust this to be a method that includes a definition of expectation for volunteers to understand basic consumer rights, in particular around privacy?

18. People (mods and general users alike) tend to take forums far too seriously.

19. Truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.