What are the best COB leds nowadays? onboard drivers good?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ClydeWalters, Nov 22, 2018.

1. yea what is the best Samsung QB you can get standalone?

2. For a 4x4, you would crush it with 4 qb96elites set 10” from each side of the tent. With two Meanwell HLG-320H-54a drivers. I like my qb120’s as well as it’s even coverage with high par and about 16” of penetration above 600ppfd.

I’m thinking of moving my array of qb120’s into veg and replacing with 6 qb96elites and three HLG-320H-54a drivers. I’m addicted to lights. Have this mars light I’m reviewing and hoping to win another with this budshot. If you don’t mind, could you go to this link and like my pic

Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Family

1A8F227F-E621-4A6F-B5DE-9E06CB9491E4.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. done! liked :) hope you win bro!! listen when you get done with it you should sell me anold mars 300 or something ^_^ im sure my lowryders would love the extra light!!

yea a 4x4 tent with 4 of those boards in it... whew thats tight. i bet it could be killerrrr tho! i would be crushing it huh lol man some day, i promise i will be growing cheaply and more efficiently with these boards ^_^ although the board im using now puts out 265 watts at 18in with only 145watts at the wall i read... so im not WAY down in shitty light territory

4. If you have blurple, it goes by wattage at the wall because they’re inefficient diodes. 50 watts per sf is the baseline for blurple or HID lights, 800 real watts in a 4x4. But you have to have coverage too since most LEDs are directly downward so many lower watt lights. You need 4 qb96elites in a 4x4 for coverage, but you can play with the wattage to determine best coverage and intensity. If I do 6 qb96elites I will only run drivers at about 120 watts per light or still in the 720 watt range, but more efficient and cooler with the LEDs and drivers working less hard to produce the same amount of light.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. that sounds like a solid plan, probably going to increase the longevity of your setup as well thats for sure. so im in my tent now completely unhappy with my coverage. ive been studying all these incredible new lights when i only own a 265 true watter myself haha. i hope my 3 lil lowryders dont fight over the light too hard

• Like Like x 1
  6. these are all 5Watt Bridgelux LEDs in my light.. dont know if that makes it a not blurple or not... my light looks yellow, not purple

7. Bridgelux/epistar/epiled just the white versions so a bit better spectrum

8. okay well at least theres that lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Check out my grow. I use the cheap driverless cobs and get great results. The 50w version pulls just over 50w at the wall.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

10. I’m so starting this project... I have an idea for an AWESOME dome shaped design for the PCB to allow for a truly enveloping light footprint :) like think LEDs flat in the middle... but then ANGKED sections as you go out farther that curve down and out. I wonder what kind of difference something like that could make...

I also had the idea to make some 2x2’ pcb boards all surface mount leds... but on ALL sides.. top, sides, maybe even the bottom over a piece of glass lol. I wouldn’t use anything but 5watt or 10watt bridgelux style surface mount LEDs. It would be the ultimate grow box! I know it would completely change the growth patterns of the plants but I’m so curious! My mind is exploding with ambition right now :)

I lost one of my girls this morning... so I’m quite sad.. she deserved only the best.. and I may have failed her as a father..

11. The study of light is even over the experts heads,,, No reason to reinvent wheel . There is nothing better then the Samsung HLG QB"s, …...
    Build yourself a Samsung HLG LED light ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Looking at your pics, you sure have growing down to a science. My question is do you use those 96 boards for veg?

• Like Like x 1
  13. For a long time people said the same thing to us crazy LED guys. Just get a 1000w HPS

14. I say try it. Even a failure is something learned.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Flower only. I veg under homemade t8’s and a 12 tube t5

16. Copy that. Just an eyeball test looked like they'd be great for flower. Carry on.

17. They do veg well though

18. Don't use a 120VAC COB. Dangerous product to mount on heatsink and leave. They are meant to be mounted in specially designed housings.

For COBs I'd go Cree or Samsung. Check out HLG and Growmau5 for puck style lights that are decent too

19. You're profile says you joined today. Do you have actual experience with these or any other light.

20. Yupppp. I have actual experience designing that style of circuit in fact. I've designed LED products for the last 8 years for different industries and was using Samsung before Samsung was cool back when LM561A was cool. I was actually shunned by people in the LED industry for using them but I saw the light early on. I've been helping a few friends out navigating LED lights out there probably the last 2 years when it went legal for CA (spyders, quantums, spectrum kings, kind, etc).

I got some equipment a friend was giving away recently and through a friend of a friend just got hooked up with a light super cheap so was going to put together a lil setup for fun. (have advanced bio/chem experience from college) I was looking up ppm recommendations for the tap water since I don't have RO and was grasscity looking and saw some nonsense about LED and had to join and say something haha so here I am. So ask away.

Also might journal my grow, starting tomorrow

• Like Like x 1