what am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by 420paco420, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Hey GC,
    The leafs of my 4 day old plant turned yellow with white crumbly ends it looks really bad.
    Iv been using hydroponics ph down to bring my tap which is 7.2 down to 5.9-6.0 and adding a teaspoon of epsom salt to every gallon of water. My first plant "morzart" is the oldest and having the problem, i dont want this to happen to my other lemon kush plants because there almost as old as the mozart was when this problem occured.
    i have a 400watt mh which is 3 feet aboce the plants.
    i mixed coco and perlite 50/50 and water once a day what am i doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. Just thinking "out-loud" here. I'm wondering if the 400W is too much for such young seedlings. I honestly am not sure as I use much less intense lighting for my young'ns. (T5's) I've experienced that yellowing / turning brittle and white when one of my mothers gets ambitious and grows into the T5.

I am putting this out there to stir conversation about your problem. Also - how well did you rinse the perlite and coco before planting the seeds?

--spoom

3. So how are your little ones doing now? :confused:

4. This indeed.

5. I am curious to hear some anwers as I too have a 4 day old dinafem haze seedling doing the same thing in coco... I am also very new to the world of coco. Its like learning to grow all over again. Tho I cant wait to experience the advantages of coco vs soil.

6. I had the same problem on some of my seedlings in the first week or so. I payed a little closer attention to my PH and all of my affected plants have since rebounded.

7. I was just looking at your pics again. Do you have both those fans blowing directly on those little babies?

8. whats your coco mix? maybe its a little too hot for your babies, they dont need much for the first few weeks

9. When I first started growing in coco I had all sorts of problems. Turned out to be 2 things. 1. I didn't rinse the coco 2. my tap water sucked

I solved this with proper rinsing and an RO filter.

10. There all doing much better now. i flushed them and i came to conclusion it was a nute burn i added slightly to much ph up and down. there getting pretty big now i will post new pics soon and probally start a grow jornal. but these babies are looking very healthy!

11. Good to hear!! Best of luck the rest of the journey.

--spoom

12. Well here's the latest pic's the Mozart plant is recovering from the nute burn very well with much new growth! its hard to get my ph right on I'm just using the color changing drops but i usually try to keep it around 5.8-6.0. Here's pics of all the latest growth and I will post the link to my journal! Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

13. #13 Hypeshot, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
    They look good man ... but don't spray them, plants don't like that , water is readily available through the roots there is no need to mainline water to a plant through spraying. Sure plants like water and when you see pictures of dew drops on leaves it's very captivating , but that is a natural setting where the leaf would dry out naturally. If your not pumping out some mad light/heat those leaves won't dry and it will only inhibit growth and slow down transpiration.

other than that your fucking rocking man , keep the ppms low , VERY low. and keep us posted.

By the way man , pro choice when it comes to that coco. Shaggygt over @ Hydrocanna has quite the experience with it if you ever run into problems. He's a really nice guy and Loves to share...

14. Also, water on the leaves + light = burn. Don't want that on those delicate babies.

15. Not if you got LED! :p

However, they WILL cook under high power LED during seedling stage (found that one out first hand).