What advanced nutrients should I use?(want to drop lucas formula)

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Subiebotz, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Dude, I have the opposite problem in a cpl of my plants...
    And I think I'm using the same AN line up as Tihspeed, not sure......

It just shows the inconsistency of not only AN but a LOT of nutrients on the market...
    An says mix 1/1/1 on base, well right now I'm having to mix 2/1/1 in flowering because the leaves are yellowing out and there is NO reason for it other than nutrient inconsistency from one jug to the next.....

It's all good bro.....
    It is what it is man, let's just all relax, and again, just "Agree that we Disagree", and leave it at that.....

:wave:

2. #122 Ironhead, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
    Why does everything you say sound so ignorant? You have proven time and time again that you have fallen into the AN trap big time and you don't care cause you "have alot of money to throw at it". Pure genius.:rolleyes:

Keep talking cause I'm laughing my ass off at ya bud. :laughing:

Just decided to pluck these pics off of the link that Watcher has posted them in previously.

So Watcher, what nutrient line and schedule were these very frosty plants grown with?:confused_2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh in case there is any confusion.. I can grow the ganja pretty well myself. this plant was grown in a 50/50 mix of coco and perlite with General Hydroponics nutrients that I use all the way from vegging to the late flower flush.... only cost 10 bucks per liter. I have only bought 3 liters of each Grow and Bloom in over a year and I have netted myself quite a few zips since then. Thats 60 (six-zero) dollars for enough nutrients to grow some big ass plants for over a year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe the point is that you can grow huge plants with just a few bucks in your pocket. No matter how many people you choose to ignore.. the simple truth is that big buds can be grown with just a few dollars in nutrients.. I'm with you Watcher, no need to run out any buy the full lineup of stuff guys! Simplicity is best! Growing is expensive enough.. don't waste most of your budget on additives and more chemicals to douse your plants with!:smoke::smoke:

3. Guys, I know the frustration everyone is feeling....
    And I know how passionate you guys are about what you do and how you do it....

irnhed84, I know this could have been worded more tastefully....
    You're a smart down to earth dude, ya know what I mean.... ;)

If people are happy, then they are happy....
    Until they are no longer happy, will they start opening up to other ways...
    There is really no need to attack someone because they have an opinion and feel it right...

IMHO bro, you should have approached this as..........
    "Hey this is what I do, this why I do it this way, and why I believe the way I do, and then this is what I get using said"..

Can we please turn this thread back into something productive and not destructive... :confused_2:

So irnhed84.....
    What ya using to get that shit bro???.... :D

4. Hahaha we are quite a like me and you JJ.:D

General Hydroponics just Grow and Bloom nutrients are needed at a 0-6-9 ratio.. Honestly its kinda a Lucas formula spinoff, so doesn't quite pertain to the "I want to drop Lucas formula" thread.. but still needs to given light due to the fact that it is super simple for the first time grower or someone wanting to stray away from the Darkside.:smoke::laughing:

5. What no Kool Bloom (liquid)???
    Bro, I'm telling ya, sure brings out the raisin glands in the last cpl weeks before flush.. :D

And yes I know I misspelled, but honestly I like my resin glands as big as raisin glands..... :D

6. I been thinkin of adding it this go round at like 2 ml per gal... I have heard some good stuff about it, but this schedule that I am following seems to be workin really good just as is ya know? Maybe I'll try it just on one of my C-99's to see if I can notice a difference.. I sure could go for some raisin glands though. Sounds like fun! :D

7. Ya, a lot of people use it from start of flower to flush....
    I don't, I hit her 2 weeks before flush, when she is pouring everything she has into her flowers...
    When you strip out the nutes for flush, OMG she will start making fucking raisin glands.... :D

8. #128 SCMC, Jul 19, 2012
    What is funny here is that the OP was trying to get out of the Gen Hydro into something else but wound up going organic and getting his grow started with a Happy Frog mixture. I guess that's what happens when 6 months pass from the start of a thread to it's current place. The person who got all these panties twisted up doesn't give two shits about our input here anyway, he's gone another direction entirely.

All this absolute garbage about Advanced Nutrients being a rip off, and selling the same stuff for more money... Um...

I did the math on page 1 to prove that based on the labeled minimums that Advanced Nutrients is less than 2 pennies more per gallon. You want the 2 cents on Advanced Nutrients. That's it. It costs 2 cents more per gallon.

Some real insight can be found in this nutrient study:
    A top nutrient study: Which is the best? Produces most?

Advanced nutrients as used in that study out preformed the nearest system by 6.25% and the average yield by more than 12% on a gram per watt comparison. The Lucas formula was not tested, although I imagine it would be inline with the rest of the harvest weights.

What is important to take away from here, based on the numbers I have provided and the data from the link I just offered, is that Advanced Nutrients costs can be run for about the same cost as one of the least expensive systems around and it did provide a harvest increase of up to 12%. You can draw your own conclusions.

Say whatever you want about their supplements and additives, their business practices and solution ingredients. That isn't the matter of concern here. What is important is cost and effect. Same cost; and evidence that points towards better effect. Short of a direct comparative grow that details the cost of each nutrient system, the final weight, and observations about final nugget size and potency... We cannot be any more certain one way or another and I think this topic is about as divisive as any I have seen in the coco forum.

This show has sadly been just one blow hard whistling out of tune after another, and no one really offering validity and weight to their opinions. The numbers are what we can rely on to show us the truth and I covered the cost difference months ago. I cannot believe that people are still claiming Advanced Nutrients is more expensive (as a replacement for General Hydro) as though everyone is going to believe that at face value; especially when we have the facts and the numbers on cost and ppm comparison which directly prove otherwise. Boggles the mind this thread does.

There. I said my peace. I don't use Advanced Nutrients and I do not support the use of their products. I also don't support misinformation in any form, even when the company they deface is a Canadian based scam schelpping additives you don't really need for hundreds of dollars per gallon over their actual value.

9. I support whatever product one chooses to use if that's what gets them the results they themselves get from such product(s)..To each there own..
    Expensive or cheap plants don't care what brand they are..The girls want their MTV and they wanted now..

I got some my best yield(s) with just maxibloom (K.I.S.S), and GHFNB .. However I prefer the CNS17 line in coco..Why, b/c that's what works for me in my garden..

Besides that, It's the fisherman not the pole(IMVHO)..
    My2cents, which is worth about as much as the next guys/gals 2cents..

Peace!.

10. #130 jakesterjammin, Jul 19, 2012
    That's GREAT :hello:
    I always love to hear another grower saying they got their best yield EVER!! :D

But Cheecha, IMO you'll have a MUCH smoother smoke in the end without all the phosphorus Maxibloom has in it..
    If you research on some of the cannabis data sheets out, they use very little phosphorus when flowering...
    Matter fact, they use more phosphorus in veg then they do flowering and that is one of the elements which is known over the years to cause your smoke to be on the harsh side.....

And really is what prompted me 7-8yrs ago to start researching nutrients and just how they effect the outcome...

Ya see, back then I had a close local friend and we both drove 100 frickin miles to buy our equipment...
    But we bought the EXACT same, the ONLY difference is he was going soil, and I hydro....

We had an old school White Widow mother, and we were just going to take clones from her....
    Long story short, I got 3 time he did, but you could pick his out every time side by side....
    If we hit his, and then hit mine, mine was slightly harsher, and was not as sweet tasting....
    BUT, we burned his, then burned mine a cpl hrs later, could not really tell which was which......

And the high was the exact same.....

Thus I went on the hunt WHY and I knew the answer is in the medium or nutrients....... ;)
    What I found out over the years, 99.999% of the time, it's the nutrients......

But people do not know this because they use 1 nutrient at a time, and NEVER really get to smoke buds side by side that were from different plants, taken from the same mother, grown in the same medium, under the same light, but different nutrient......

You'll be shocked just what they put in there which is really not needed....
    You have to remember, they are trying to cater to THOUSANDS of strains, so lump it all in and let the plant use what it want to use is their thinking.... Nooooooooo, WRONG...... LOL

Then they water that down so you have to use more too get the same EC/PPM....;)

YES, IMHO you can get the SAME RESULTS with less money.........
    And some people are happy paying a little extra for the convenience of the "just mix these for everything" formula..
    Again, that's cool, I LOVE to hear people getting better and better yields!!!

If they get that with GH, cool....
    If they get that with AN, cool....
    If they get that with H&G, cool....

If they are happy, cool....
    Then so am I... :D

Also, not sure where SCMC gets his prices....
    But I can get GH Grow/Micro/Bloom in 1gal bottles (4L) for $76
    GH Grow/Micro/Bloom in 1gal bottles (4L) for $93

So not sure where the 2 cents comes in????
    But $23 every 4L (which is not even a total grow for me) pretty large...
    I'd rather have that extra for bulb replacement since we get gouged on bulbs too.... ;)

11. #131 cheecha, Jul 19, 2012
    Yeah JJ, by some I mean before I actually did my research and now am aware of the high P myth..
    Which is why ATM I'm rocking the jackpeters dry fert formula with CalNit..More or less 3-1-4 ratio(elemental)..And let me tell ya, I'm freakin loving it so far(knock on wood)..Can't wait to finish them off..FWIW, my CNS17 table is running neck to neck with jacks ATM..
    Oh BTW I'm not promoting Jacks at all..It's just that using bottled nutes I found it hard to balance out the ratios..I found a thread awhile back regarding cheap dry nutes and am now starting to see the light brotha..Halleluiah..
    Thanks mang..

12. Well back when this all was happening with my buddy, of course he totally was sticking out his chest like a proud papa because his "soil" tasted better then my "hydro crap".... LOL

After several attempts at fine tuning my mix to make it better than his (cause I wanted to shove it back at him), of course I couldn't, but I did personally confirm the "myth" you speak of.... And that was from different plants, taken from the same mother, grown in the same medium, under the same light.....

And also, yes, I've done a MaxiGrow and MaxiBloom complete grow... ;)
    I personally got better with a stew over the soup... :D

13. Irnhed, you got my babies full screen, nice one. ha. How did you do that?

Anyway, they were grown with a nute called hesi. It's £7 and it's a one parter. I replaced some of the base feed with some PK at one point because they were showing too much N, and that was it from there. I could hardly have been a simpler grow.

Those buds of yours are spot on mate. Swelled calyxes, not too much leaf, near perfect bud to leaf ratio, sweet. That's what people should be aiming for, not thick green foliage with some bud hidden in amongst it. There's been talk of phosphorus just lately, but nitrogen is the biggest killer of yield, quality and appearance and far too many grows exhibit an excess of it.

Jakester, irn is challenging ignorance, not tihspeed's opinion. It's the same with me man. There's no need to just blank someone because you've got some personal grudge against them. I mean we can all argue, but what we come to these forums for is to learn to grow weed. At the point we stop thinking we can be told anything, that's when you stop learning and you become ignorant. That's wrong, and challenging that is always going to be more heated than a simple difference of opinion.

14. We've been over this many many times now and it's getting very boring... I fully agree with that much.

To repeat this one more time, because obviously one person still isn't clear on it: the basic AN line is not the issue here. Please, take that on board. Whatever brand you use, go for it.

But... Let's be real for a minute, nobody in the game takes the piss like AN when it comes to marketing a shed load of different products, all of which contain virtually the same mineral ingredients.

The message is, don't buy into the myth that more bottles is better, because it simply is not. In fact, I'd say 99.9% of new growers will have more problems going that route, with the few who dodge the bullet making up an exceptionally small number.

It's a very simple message.

15. Where did you get that information from jakester? About the P in veg and flower? Reason I ask is because I saw a test once which was very sketchy to say the least.

It is true though that high levels of P are not only said to make the smoke burn harshly, but make it many times more carcinogenic. A very important reason to make sure the plant metabolises its reserves before the chop.

Also, are you familiar with using grow nutes/baby feed towards the end of flowering?

16. Honestly I do not remember it's been so long....
    And I lost my PC in a flood, so saved data, images, bookmarks, everything I had is flat out gone...
    That happened a little over a year ago.....

But it was WAY before Big Mike made that dumb ass video.... LOL

Like I said, I've done it, and there was a difference, not like one would flat choke you out and the other was smooth..
    But you could tell there was a difference when you hit one, then hit the other right behind it....

At first I could only tell there was a difference, but could not tell which was which, then the further the joint burned, it become more and more of a difference, and again, it was not like one made me choke and the other didn't....

It just was different, thus IMO, nutrient plays DIRECTLY into the finial taste....
    When I started getting into what elements did what, I got hit with a hurricane and wiped out.... LOL

And that's kind of where I'm at now, trying to STILL recover from losing everything.... ;)

17. I just went to that thread that you posted those in and clicked on your attachment pictures making them bigger.. copy the link and posted them in here using the little mountain button on the tool bar. it pops up another box with an http already in it and I just delete that one, cause the link from the pictures already includes it. Just keep trying that and hitting preview to check out what it looks like.

I have gone and looked at some AN nutrient line up schedules.. Lets do a price breakdown of the nutrients that can be bought at my local hydro shop. Mr. Sweets Hydro | Dallas Hydroponic Shop
    I'm not sure what SCMC was referring to with price but... I have never seen anyone just using a 2 part AN and thats it.. everyone that uses their products follows a nutrient schedule with the additives that they suggest use.

So with the Sensi A and B as the base: 31.99 per liter per part so 63.98 just for your base nutes

You will also need to purchase:

VooDoo Juice 1 liter: $110.00
    Big Bud 130g: $30.00
    B-52 1 liter: $45.00
    Overdrive 1 liter: $40.00

So... if we add all that up its.. $288.98 for the smallest amount of nutrients to grow according to AN for just a few short months worth.. and then you get to buy it all again. Lets assume that all these nutes would last 3-4 months like mine do so you would have to purchase this stuff (about) 4 times a year at a total cost of

$1,155.92:rolleyes:

My GH nutrient schedule only uses the 2 part and thats it so the total price comes to:

Micro 1 quart: 15.99
    Bloom 1 quart: 15.99

$31.00 total.

1 quart of each has last me typically right around 3-4 months so if I bought a gallon of each one at $36.99, it should last me almost a year of growing at a total cost of

$73.98.

How again is AN only a few dollars more expensive? :confused_2:

18. Lol. Really. You don't get it?
    Maybe it's because you failed to read all the clearly printed words.
    It was a comparison of prices based on elemental concentration in the bottles. Salt for salt.
    This is in response to the actual OP. Not the bloviating that has gone on since then.
    It doesn't matter if you know anyone who does a Lucas formula with advanced nutrients or not.
    I also don't care if Advanced says I need voodoo juice or B52. I know I don't, no one here ever suggested that a person should just blindly do what the feeding programs say to do.
    If you'd like to understand how Advanced Nutrients micro+bloom compares, salt for salt dollar for dollar, against gen hydro micro+bloom, then read the post I quoted from page one. It is very clear.

19. No problem.

With regards the nutes effecting the taste, they definitely can.

One test which is very important is the burn test. This will tell you a lot about your weed. First of all the weed should ignite easily in a joint, and the ash should be a clean light grey/white as soon as it's burned.

The spliff should stay lit for a long time before going out, with the burning ember in the middle shining very bright, it shouldn't be shrouded in any blackness at all and it should burn evenly.

When left to smoulder for a while til there's hardly any smoke emanating from it, the joint should also be very easy to bring back to full burn with just a toke or two.

These are all signs of a clean crisp product.

The opposite would be a black ash - bear in mind some people think ash which burns white eventually is a sign that it's clear, it's not. Almost all ash will become light in the end. It should burn nice and clean almost immediately.

The joint will burn out quickly, burn unevenly, be harder to reignite without a lighter. These are signs of residuals left in the product.

The reason for using baby feed or veg feed towards the end of the grow, is that it helps the plants to metabolise the phos. The theory is that with an immediate flush, the plant doesn't use up its reserves because its metabolism slows down due to a lack of food. Nitrogen is important nutrient in helping the plant metabolise Phosphorus stores. This is why some growers will use veg feed/baby feed a week before they flush, then move onto plain water.

I don't know if you've heard of a grower called oldtimer, but I learned a lot of this from him. Very knowledgeable gardener he is.

20. Oh ya, I forgot....
    Yes I tone down the nutes when I stop seeing calyxes stop growing and swelling....
    Basically when growth slows to a crawl and they are entering the ripening faze....

The last SCRoG I ran 1200ppm right to flush.....
    Won't be doing that again..... LMFAO