What about Fukushima?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Possuum, Nov 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. It's been 6 years 8 months and no end in sight. Have we all forgotten?

ENENews.com – Energy News

All the other fluff and stuff that gets people riled up seems inconsequential in the overall scope of things.

Does anyone even care?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I think about Fukushima everyday, It really depresses me. I feel so helpless, what can we do?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I really dont know. The scary part is that the people that are really, really smart dont know what to do either. It is a radioactive fire that can not be extinguished with today's technology. Occasionally i will use this site to try and remind everyone. It's my only social media contact.

Fukushima is arguably the most serious issue the planet and humankind faces today.

I think it should rise to the top of the stack of public discourse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. i agree with you mate ,,,in uk we dont hear very much about it now ,,and yet the radioactivity is still spewing out in the the Pacific daily ,,,its like what you say no body seems to care ,,,its an environmental horror show ,,,,mac,

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. It is refreshing to see that folks do indeed have an awareness of what's going on. It is serious caca....

6. I had no idea wtf

There's so much that didn't make it to the larger news reports

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. [​IMG]
    Current NOAA map
    [​IMG]
    But this one say it's nothing to worry about.

[​IMG]

We know 3 of the reactors went splat. Tore wide open ripped the guts out of the piles and spilled the contents.
    Like most reactor sites it had god only knows how many tons of spent rods in cooling ponds dotted about the site as well and the total of that alone can exceed the reactors several times over much like the mess we have here in California at the now dead San Onofre plant. 3.55 million pounds of spent fuel rods on site here alone.

[​IMG]
    Building hundreds of reactors around the world without a clue how to deal with the ongoing cleanup issues wasn't the smartest thing to do in hind site.
    I remember touring the local half finished plant as a field trip back when it was under construction. Power to cheap to meter was the claim. It was also supposed to make all the fresh water from the sea Southern California could ever drink or water lawns with. Instead somewhere along the way we just laid the cooling pipes in the ocean and heated the sea coast for miles and screwed the local ecology as much as possible.
    BNW

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. The engineers knew it was an unsafe design - some resigned, some stayed and chose to cover it up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for the graphics @BrassNwood A picture is so much more powerful at times. One looks at the plume map should make one aghast!

You're on the left coast. I have people on the left coast. They eat cooked fish and sushi daily like a hash maker might eat hash caps. I talked to them about the fish but they blew me off as cockeyed and paranoid. I personally have had fish one time in 6 years and it was at their house last year. Fresh red fish baked. Not anymore!

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. It's the whole blasted food chain that affected by it and the further up the ladder the more concentrated you get. Plankton take in some, small fish that eat the plankton, next size up fish and finally to us.
    We've seen it many times before in DDT.PCB, Nuclear. What the hell makes them think this will be any better ?
    BNW

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Name says it all. Fucked

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. We best start caring or....

February 2018.

Report: Massive radiation leak at Fukushima plant — Extremely high levels being detected outside reactor — Officials can’t explain why — Expert warns of global threat: “It’s a disaster of unseen proportions” (VIDEO) « ENENews.com – Energy News

13. Terrorists bring better ratings than radiation.
    I say fuck that place leave it to nature like Chernobyl.
    We don't know how to get rid of radiation yet the owners of the plant should be forced to spend a large sum on research

14. Okay I'm going to break up this fear mongering because fusion is the future. Nuclear is the safest, most efficient, and least polluting energy source we have, get on board we're going for a ride. Solar panels create 300x more toxic waste than nuclear energy per kwh btw.

The first picture brass posted is unrelated to fukushima's radiation. This is a map of the estimated maximum wave heights of the Japanese Tohuku Tsunami by modelers at NOAA.

Any trace amount of radiation that has been detected near our coasts is so minute it's utterly harmless but people have turned that into "OMG RADIATION IS GONNA KILL US!" When they don't realize radiation is all around us. These radioactive cesium particles are diluted very close off shore of Japan to harmless levels. The pictures posted above are misconstruing concentrations/danger entirely. Zero people have died from fukushima, not one. People died to the tsunami but not the plant.

"No it will not be dangerous. Even within 300 km of Fukushima, the additional radiation that was introduced by the Cesium-137 fallout is still well below the background radiation levels from naturally occurring radioisotopes. By the time those radioactive atoms make their way to the West Coast it will be even more diluted and therefore not dangerous at all.

It’s not even dangerous to swim off the coast of Fukushima. Buessler et al. figured out how much radiation damage you would get if you doggie paddled about Fukushima (Yes, science has given us radioactive models of human swimmers). It was less than 0.03% of the daily radiation an average Japanese resident receives. Tiny! Hell, the radiation was so small even immediately after the accident scientists did not wear any special equipment to handle the seawater samples (but they did wear detectors just in case). If you want danger, you’re better off licking the dial on an old-school glow in the dark watch."

True facts about Ocean Radiation and the Fukushima Disaster

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I would also say the article posted about that leak is being blown out of proportion entirely. 42 sieverts in that location is not at all unheard of nor is it a real concern, it's not that high of a level at all despite what the article states. And the fact that the readings are inaccurate due to the equipment not being prepared is another strike.

People fear what they don't understand, and people in general don't understand radiation/nuclear energy.

"Richard Black, director of the Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit, said the high levels of radiation found in and around the reactor last month were “expected” and unlikely to pose a danger.

He told The Independent: “Although the radiation levels identified are high, a threat to human health is very unlikely because apart from workers at the site, no-one goes there.

“The high readings from fuel debris would be expected – the higher reading from the foundations, if confirmed, would be more of a concern as the cause is at present unclear. But as officials indicate, it might not be a genuine reading anyway."

Lethal levels of radiation detected in leak at Fukushima

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Its litteraly terrible and killing our oceans

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yeah such a shame, I was watching a documentary on this the other day. And cherynobl (sorry if spelled wrong) Effecting children and future generations etc. And the oceans ofcourse. The world has a lot of problems these days. I can't remember but I think it was like indonesia or somewhere is getting terrible too because of all the vehicles and smog, that is turning into a big deal too. children are developing asthma and shit. Unforunate no one cares about the world anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alot of the worlds major rivers are super unhealthy too. basically were just letting the planet die for a made up currency that's printed on paper

• Agree Agree x 1

Grasscity Deals Near You