What A Beatiful Thought - Scientists estimate 30 billion Earths

Discussion in 'General' started by Superjoint, Jul 3, 2002.

1. we will NEVER encounter another lifeform, nor will we get to one. lightyear is a measurement of distance, NOT speed.

if you want to go 1 light year, you must travel at the speed of light ( we are no where near, and its very possible that matter itself cannot travel PAST this speed) for a FULL YEAR.

so if something is 25 lightyears away, that means you must travel speed of light for 25 years. how much gas is that? who will survive the time warp in the space/time continuum?

unfortunately, at the rate our society is going, we will never answer the biggest questions in life, we will merely fill those spots with "God".

god did it, its all god :rolleyes:

2. Planets naturally accreate around stars...there are probably more stars with planetary systems than those without. There are about 200 billion stars in our galaxy. There are several hundred billion galaxies in the visible universe. Do the math :)

3. okay, but then you lack the other components of your argument.

so far we have only found jovian planets correct? why are they located so close to the star? they cannot naturally form there, its too hot for the gas to cool. did they get reeled in by the stars grav force? is the star expanding?

where are the terrestrial ones? too small to see against the star they orbit? possibly.

the images we acquire of these planets are millions and millions of years old. this means that they could very well have disappeared in the time the light took to get here from there.

and do you know the odds of a terrestrial planet, lying the same distance away from the star, spinning so the days are *similar* to that of earth, and also having a moon to counteract the tides?

:rolleyes:

4. Jovian planets are the majority from what scientists have discovered thus far, but they are certainly not the only type of exoplanets discovered. It is obviously possible for gas giants to accreate in close proximity to their parent star, we just have not discovered how. The light from these planets may be millions and millions of years old (a very, very, very small number on cosmic scales) but planets do not simply dissapear unless they are devoured by a star in its death-throes, or flung out of the solar system after the star dies. We have already discovered several rocky planets orbiting a star at or near the habitable zone...and we have only looked at an extremely small number of stars in our own small galaxy...let alone the other 300+ billion. The odds are still in life's favor, regardless of any argument you can make.

5. again, your spin on the jovian planets accreation of close proximity is false. the temperatures invovled in that are too great for gas to condense.

this argument will go no where, it seems, we both have proven we have educational background in astronomy, but i can tell you this.

life in the distant cosmos? highly possible.

terrestrial planets found- NONE.

habitable conditions for intelligent life to evovle- none we have found SO FAR.

we both are arguing the same concepts, we are just disagreeing on the jovian planets.

and as we can see, there have been no pick up of radio waves in the 70+ years we have had it. if there really was intelligent life out there, they would have easily discovered radio waves, and IF they were intelligent enough, they might question other life as well.

whats my point you ask?

as of now, today, there is NO OTHER LIFE IN THE GALAXY, let alone the universe we know of now. and our radio waves we've sent? well, the closest star to us should be receiving Adolf Hitlers speeches, and with that said, you REALLY think life would WANT to come to a planet, where a vast majority of its population believe in a cosmic zombie, who was his own father, can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and worship him as your master, to remove an evil force, that was placed on our souls because a rib-woman(eve) was convinced by a snake to eat from a tree?

i think not.

6. You've obviously never considered just folding the fifth dimension through the sixth dimension to get to the alternate reality where we have found a way to travel great distances (because there really are no great distances) in no time at all.

7. Just to knit pick here. We've only been in industrial society for what 60ish years. How long have we been able or even attempted to listen for signals.. 10-20? It could be that the use of radio broadcast for a civilization is very short and we simply missed it or they're outside of our light cone. I'd bet money they're out there somewhere although if we ever find them will depend on if lightspeed is really the ultimate speed limit.

8. Ok, uno mas. They only found Jovian planets first because they were looking for the wobble of the stars and planets with that much mass (basically a failed star) cause more wobble then little rocks. They're currently finding rocky earth mass equivalent exoplanets by using better telescopes that watch for the smaller planets to traverse the star and decrease the amount of light visible to us.

9. I hope that when I die, I am reincarnated on one of the other earths. And each time I die, I reincarnate on another one.

10. I hope you live before you die.

11. Who ever said lifeforms needed oxygen to live? Or water? There might be totally different requirements on other planets. That makes the possibilities of there being life out there even more likely.

12. HAHAHAHAHAAH! :hello::hello::hello::hello::smoke:

13. Very interesting, thanks for the share that blew my mind.

14. bring it back round 2.

15. no shit right?
    and SJ......

16. If I'm the first person to make contact with aliens, I'm rolling a joint. They're most likely going to have space weed with them since 100 lightyears is really far away and pot is mandatory on a road trip like that.

17. I bet aliens use a vape. Or some other crazy smoking device that looks something like a MAC product. You know, no sharp angles, no corners/edges.. usually a smooth white colour.. and you dont see the buttons until it sense you touching it, when then some pale light blue command buttons show up.

yeah... a device like that.. but its a vape. alien.

18. All it really takes is time...given enough time we will find life out there. Statsitically it's impossible for other forms of life to not exist in our known universe given how many different galaxies there are, and given how many planets are in said galaxies. Of course this is all assuming we don't either A. blow ourselves up, b. Get taken out by a Meteorite, or C. Some other galatic disastor.