What’s your spill on the banana peel

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by dobro49, Jun 30, 2019.

1. I’ve been reading about the use of banana peels as fertilizer and I wanted to seek opinions and experience of you folks. Thankya

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. I throw them in the compost for the worms. My sister lets her peels dry out and turn black then blends them into a powder and adds to soil it breaks down faster. I’ve also seen a video where someone let it soak in water for a few days then added like a tea.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 natas-420, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Bananers are high in potassium, and I think the peels are a good source. Also has little bit of Nitrogen and Phosphorous that will release when composted as well. Yeah, I would def. throw them in. Along with other food scrapes/waste (coffee grounds, eggshells, potato skins, carrot skins, etc.) You can't go wrong with that. I love composting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I compost all our fruit waste and any other acceptable food waste.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thank you everyone. I always compost them and I had been seeing others here talk of teas and powders n such for fertilizer. I’m always getting bananas so I will have a steady supply. As always, y’all are great.:passtheshit:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Check out @Prepper420 grow journal... he uses a fermented banana smoothy to help boost flower.

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Another quick one. Is it ok to freeze these peels until I get enough to do something with?

8. I know people freeze bananas ahead of time to make banana bread (mmmm). So I would imagine it would be ok?

• Like Like x 1
  9. I’ve been looking and haven’t found where it killed anything beneficial but I’m just wanting to be safe.

10. Everybody that feeds bananas/peels to worms for vermicompost freezes them first. It blows the cell walls apart so stuff breaks down quicker after thawing. This will work to your advantage as well.
    hth
    cheers
    os

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks a lot, this place never misses.

12. ^^^THIS^^^

I seldom freeze banana peels, but toss them in the coffee jugs I save grounds in. Gets a headstart with the bacteria breaking down the used grounds.

My main 'feed' is fresh/frozen comfrey. I'll put a bins worth in plastic grocery bags (I have 7 bins), and just dump a bag in each bin. I don't thaw them first. They separate quite easily still frozen and thaw out in a few minutes. Tried thawing them first, but that just made such a gooey mess it was quickly abandoned.

Wet

• Like Like x 4
  13. I’ve been freezing them but today I did cut one up into small pieces and worked into the top of the soil around one of my plants. Anybody done something like this? I put some in the one compost bin too. I eat a couple a day so it’s a good supply.

14. I throw old ones that are too ripe in the freezer. I pull several out occasionally and brew up a banana tea. Just seems like a good thing to do :love-mj:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yea check out @Prepper420 Grow he makes the FFJ (fermented fruit juice). Also if you want more information on these type of techniques do some research on KNF(Korean natural farming) there’s a guy Chris trump on YouTube that does step by step tutorials on how to make fruit ferments and all types of fertilizers IPM and all that good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  16. I don’t freeze the peels either the worms break em down pretty fast as is but now I’m curious to how much faster they’d break em down frozen hmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum