What’s next for the marijuana movement

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by well highdrated, Nov 6, 2014.

1. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/11/06/whats-next-for-the-marijuana-movement/

• Like Like x 2
  2. What will be fascinating to see is how politicians react and how the federal government responds.

As more states approve, the pressure for the feds to change their stance will increase.  Currently, businesses participating in the cannabis trade are subject to pretty significant restrictions on how they can handle transactions/banking and unfair taxation due to the fact of federal prohibition.  As more states pass, and more small business owners are around to put pressure on legislators, there will be a push for federal reform.

Also, if the momentum continues in 2016 (which seems likely) I think we could see some red states try to act proactively and legalize through state legislature.  Ballot measures lead to high youth voter turnout, which typically is much more liberal.  Some red states may pass more restrictive legalization measures rather than risk having younger voters show up at the polls and possibly change the political landscape in the process.

3. Tax code 208E is our next major hurdle for states that have it legal.

as for the topic of the thread, what's next? next election.
    It took approx 3 to 1 (76%) in favor of repealing alchohol prohibition before it was revoked, and honestly it will probably be the same deal with cannabis. So the best we can do right now is legalize as many states as possible and we're doing well roughly 9% of the country is legal now. 

I personally believe the feds will be FORCED to deal with national legalization measures sometime between the next election and the midterms in 2018 as we could be seeing as much as 20% of the country legal, and that's simply too much to not garner some action.

I once made a prediction on this site that weed would be legal in the US by 2020 or sooner, and it looks like we're on track for it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. #4 burrobonton1, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
    2014 is going to be another 1978. The last victory before the backlash and a new era of the drug war.

The first drug war started in the early 20th century with alcohol prohibition and the federal bureau of narcotics that banned every current illegal drug except marijuana. After alcohol prohibition was failing, people realized they were going after the wrong drug. Alcohol was the white drug (good drug) and cocaine, opium, marijuana was the bad drug cause non white minorities were the ones perceived to be using and selling them.

So then the 2nd drug war came in the 1930s with marijuana being put in the bad drug list while the white drugs alcohol and cigarettes had to be left alone. The 2nd drug war was after alcohol prohibition was repealed, the focus then started with marijuana. It lasted up until the early 70s with a new pro marijuana movement when NORML came to the scene. There was a wave of decriminalization in 10 states which then stopped in 1978 cause so many kids were smoking pot and parents were outraged.

The 3rd drug war is the real modern drug war started by Reagan in the 80s. Mandatory minimums even for low level simple possession. Life in prison for drug dealers. Death Penalty for drug trafficking kingpins. The powerful parents movement fighting for the toughest drug laws possible.

The 3rd drug war slowly starting dieing down in the early 90s and came to a complete halt in Obama's 2nd term. This is when Ethan Nadelmann came to the scene. He's the one who really changed America's attitudes against the drug war and just literally murdered anyone in a debate. MPP started. Students for Sensible Drug Policy started. Law Enforcement against prohibition started. The birth of the modern drug law reform movement.

Now the tide is turning back with the rise of Kevin Sabet and Patrick Kennedy ushering in a new era of the war on drugs. A 4th drug war is brewing thats disguised as a smart approach. I predict that no more states will legalize marijuana ever again. Sheldon Adelson and Michael Bloomberg will bankroll Project Sam with millions of $$$. Then theyre going to repeal every state legalization, decriminalization and medical marijuana law.

5. While I completely agree that there will be a backlash against the momentum we've gathered I believe you're a little pessimistic.

Most notably because of the internet; In previous generations when the government has pushed against drug reform they've taken to traditional media to sway public opinions (see gov. funded marijuana "studies", just say no campaign, DARE, those annoying commercials all over, etc. ) the problem with this tactic now is that they'll have to account for the world wide web. A place where they are literally incapable of putting their message everywhere, having people believe it, and of course suppressing all the positive studies that have come out in favor of legalization.

The way I see it legalization is inevitable, there will probably be rules very similar to alcohol in so far as local prohibition 
    http://io9.com/5895477/these-are-the-places-in-america-where-alcohol-is-still-banned
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_county
    but at this point a full comeback for prohibition is virtually impossible. 

They can give SAM and all the other programs they like extra funding, it won't make the lies any harder to see through (the internet is simply too powerful).

but then you've got to be a troll if you honestly believe that no more states will legalize  :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Next step, get rid of the stooges within the movement.

7. I've been waving this article around GC for the past few months. I think it is a good prediction on how it will look by 2020. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/23/marijuana-legalization-50-states_n_6036292.html

More and more states will continue to have mmj or recreational on their ballots and voters will be forced to give it some thought. As the older politicians eventually die out of congress it will inevitable. 

By 2020 almost all states will have some form of medical access and close to 1/3 will have recreational access.

Now that marijuana is legal in our nations capitol, it will be interesting to see how it will take off. 

[​IMG]  

8. There is no question as to IF cannabis will be legalized - only WHEN.

As the states continuously become cannabis-friendly the GOV will react. As mentioned by a poster above.

Truly, there are billions of dollars at stake here. The people are moving forward in a way that currently leaves many GOV and "legal" operations IE banking out of the party wagon. This will not last very long.

The biotech companies already have been gobbling up application patents based on CANNABINOIDS - not cannabis. As with herbal extracts and food constituents w/ the FDA and the supplement/pharmaceutical game, these biotech companies will be selling patented  and potentially synthetic extractions.

The banking industry is currently leaving billions/trillions of dollars on the table by not profiting over (arbitrage) legal cannabis transactions, loans, and so on.

Long story short, the next move will likely be a powerplay by these groups to push for rescheduling to schedule 2. This allows doctors, biotech companies, pharmaceuticals, and bankers to legally enter the market and thrive.

This is a serious issue for the citizens because under sched2, this scenario would potentially induce "prohibition type laws" that ironically still prohibit the common man from cultivating/using cannabis raw herbs and seeds - because the biotech market will be pushing CBD pills and other nonsense with the doctors wanting to write scripts for it.

Keep your eye on this, and the importance of protecting our right to own/grow seeds/cannabis freely, the right to refuse being subservient to pharmaceutical cartels for medicine; the importance of protecting dispensaries and caregivers and public cultivation laws in state legislation.

Kevin Sabet et al are done. They are horridly obsolete. Anyone up to speed on the science of cannabis and its cannabinoids, the endocannabinoid system, the actual history of cannabis and observational facts, can see right through their BS.

More importantly, the powers that be are much more powerful than Kevin Sabet and his cronies. These powers will step right over his nonsense while allowing cannabis legalization IF they gain more collectively than would through prohib-campaigns. There's just too much money to be made; Kevin is about to get pushed out of the scene completely.

Ultimately the people are the most powerful of all, when united collectively. I will hold on to the dream of legalizing cannabis like tomatoes or better still - grapes from which farmers can craft their own wine and it is hunky dory as long as you aren't selling your unlabeled, untested wine at the grocery store.

All organic, NON-GMO fruit bearing plants and seeds are owned collectively by the inhabitants of this planet. That is one of the most important things to remember to fight for while looking ahead at how the next few years will unfold.

• Like Like x 2
  9. There is always the chance Holder will reschedule it on his way out the door.  Let's face it, Obama no longer cares what the people want.  His threatening to go forward with executive amnesty despite all the polls showing a large majority of the country being against it.  Why would he care at this point what Holder does?

10. Nothing productive will ever be decided by lawyers and politicians, this goes for sensible mj legalization as well as anything else. So when it is legalized u can bet the cronies will make sure their pockets are the ones that get lined. Stupid mj reform will become the norm, and that just sucks. Look at Washington, Colorado, Oregon and Alaska. All a bunch of stupid lawyer crafted bull shit written up by stooges.

• Like Like x 1
  11. But it's legal. Who cares. Lol. The sheep will flock.

12. This will not be a repeat of 1978. There is too much set in motion and the stage is set completely different. People are not only building small businesses, but big businesses are being set in motion. There are multi-million dollar labs dedicated to cannabis quality control now. Real business people are placing big bets on this industry. Even a construction company backed by Warren Buffet is starting to design grow facilities. People don't simply walk away from investments over non-sense legislation.

Further, as anyone knows many State Governments and the Federal Government are in huge deficits. At some point the eldery rich people in rocking chairs with ludicrous stigmas don't get to have everything they want. The math doesn't work. You can't spend outrageous amounts everywhere else, want near-zero taxes, and say no to the cannabis industry. That equation does not compute. It is not sustainable. 

13. No one cares what your firm has to say.  Besides, you are stating the obvious.  I thought lawers were supposed to be smart, haha only kidding,  We all know they the only requirement is that they are as slimy as a salamander's belly.

14. Dude why so negative? You are obviously very intelligent, I have actually found a few of your posts to be quite informative. But damn, chill out.. it is easily possible to educate people without being condescending.

15. Because this whole movement has been undermined by a bunch of scum bags, and I want to highlight that point at every opportunity, because this movement is negative.  I would love to be positive about it, but the fact is there is not much about the MJ movement to get pumped about right now.  I can't get a ticket for minor possesion?  Who cares!  There is alot more at stake, and for a counter-culture movement this should be obvious to everyone involved in it, so I am putting it as bluntly as possible.  Plus, I love to rant.  My goal is to pound into every smoker's brain that they are being used to fund even more corruption and civil injustice... The exact thing they claim they are trying to fight against