What’s Next For Legalization-2021-

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by dobro49, Jan 2, 2021.

1. :jump:Rec weed legal in Virginia starting July 1st

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. I got a message from the local NORML chapter and wasted a few mins on a letter to reps but I think the SC Compassion Care bullshit is history once more. I’m surprised that is has a enthusiastic R sponsee who seems to see the drug war light but he is apparently alone in his quest. I should be disappointed but this is just another day at the office of prohibition politics. All I can do is vote.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. This morning I was watching the CEO of Tilray? (I think it was), Simon Irwin (again I’m guessing) on CNBC and he was talking about how the booze industry and to compete with “bootleggers” and dealing with that. I need to rewatch but the context sounded anti grower to me.

4. #144 Sublime, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Biden never supported legalization. he only supports the mildest of rescheduling to Schedule II or so. My state of VA, when Democrats got in power within months they decriminalized and the next year they legalized. Before that, not a single bill marijuana-related was ever heard on the floor, Republicans killed it every time. The people of South Dakota, a historically Republican state, voted to legalize marijuana, but the Governor is suing the bill and wants to overturn it. All I'm saying is it's pretty odd that the red states are the ones blocking legalization and the blue ones are the ones passing it. 17 and counting now. And we're the first southern state to legalize it too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Agreed, good points. I think Dems will have to move on this and considering the way the bank bill went, I think they will pull a few Rs along. I admit I don’t like the way it’s been ignored so far but I think something will happen. Every time there’s mention of fed legal weed or a new state goes legal, the stocks fly, everybody gets excited, then it all settles back. I still think as New York and VA moves forward, it will only help the cause across the nation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Some Southern states still believe in Reefer Madness. The Gov. of Nebraska said that Marijuana kills children. It's very hard for people in the North east or far West to understand this type of thinking. I'm from Washington DC/Maryland. I move to Alabama for a short time. I suffered from PTSD just being around these people. Now I live in the Hells of Kentucky. Weed will be legal here in about 20-30 years long after I'm gone.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Politicians in the Carolinas still preach reefer madness insanity but people aren’t buying it anymore. The vote counts in these states that have gotten freedom indicates so. I’ve been hesitant to hope for a head to head fight over pot in big elections but I’m ready to shed that notion. Dems won the Govs office in SC over the lottery, maybe the same can happen over a plant that can benefit farmers?

8. Score a small win for freedom in Alabama. The City Of Birmingham is looking to pardon all prior cannabis convictions in muni court and the mayor is pushing a decrim petition to the state. I guess we should be glad to get what we get when we get it in the south.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. A lib who is in favor of pot has launched what is sure to be a looooong shot bid for the SC Gov seat. Former Rep Joe Cunningham, a Charleston lawyer (because there not enough of them) has announced intentions to unseat current Gov Henry Mccmaster.
    As a southern liberal, this is a fun fantasy to visualize but not gonna happen.

10. A bill is rolling along in Minnesota but it sounds like it has republican opposition in the Senate there. Sound familiar? The bill has passed 9 committee votes but they will stop it if they can.

11. The south’s gonna do it again!

Looking around and found a Twitter feed and new report from Baton Rouge that Louisiana is stirring up some rec pot interest. Bill was put up, then pulled. I’m sure there is opposition everywhere. But New Orleans.

12. SWEET HOME ALABAMA

Well, it was very nice to read of anti med pot “minds and hearts getting changed” within the walls of the Alabama state house and a medical bill is enroute to the governors desk. There is still staunch opposition to rec weed but let’s hope that changes too when GA goes legal.

13. Another touchdown for the south. The folks over in the nearby Cherokee Nation have made possession of weed legal there. I’ve spent a lot of time there fishing, Camping, and just walking around. It’s nice to see another breath of fresh air in western NC.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pot stocks are in the tank, feds dragging their heels, no big time state news. Is there a gray cloud hanging over our little movement? I hope not. I was just thinking back to the comment from the person in Alabama (not sure if a rep or senator) about “changing hearts and minds”. My heart and mind tells me that those politicians didn’t have a Grinch at Christmas moment and start caring about people in pain. It’s money and the will of people that brought them to this place, I just hope more of them turn.

15. Reefer Madness is alive and well here in the Badger State as well. Hard to believe that during WWII, Wisconsin was one of the top producers of industrial hemp. I have people where I work tell me, "I heard it damages the soil." This from those with farm backgrounds, no less.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. It’s sometimes hard to think about or believe that people freaked out so bad about smoking pot that they killed an entire industry like hemp. I’m sure this the textile and timber folks were glad to help.

17. Sheep are not led, they are STEERED by using FEAR of the wolf (dog).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. And those posts above are correct, that “reefer madness” BS went a long way in shaping people’s feelings on weed. I was lucky to have a mom who detested booze but thought that people were completely wrong about the dangers of pot. Crazy thinking eh? By the time I was 16, I could get a pass on weed if I didn’t drink. Sad part is, I stayed drunk till I was 40 before I seen she was right all along.

19. Federal legalization, however it occurs, will result in me immediately buying components to build a greenhouse. I don't care what the 2x4s will cost.
    I can't be the only one with these kind of designs on the future. Federal legalisation would foment an economic boom such as we haven't seen in 40 (or more) years. Certain folk are against this because they can't control/claim it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Ill refrain from naming the substances as I know that’s not appreciated but I found it such a predictable move that the officials in my region are on an “awareness campaign” about the overdose rates and the dangers of xxxxx. They have, As always, reached in and got a new old drug to put up front, associate pot with, and rake in tax money to “fight” this new/old problem. This one is straight from the 80s playbook too. How people who are smart enough to vote put up with this bullshit decade in and out baffles me.

• Agree Agree x 1