Were Shaggy and Scooby Doo really stoners?

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by eleven357, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Come to think of it, i've never actually thought of Scooby and Shaggy as stoners. But now that you brought it up, i think there is more than enough evidence to classify them as "STONERS"

2. that would actually be sick. get stoned and and fight of evil mosters. that would be the day...

3. when i saw this thread i almst shit myself! now that i think of it, it makes so much sense, they were definitly stoners.

4. just downloaded 25 episodes :)

5. I think the real question here is:
    Were shaggy and scooby doo really not stoners?

because that would be suprising.

6. yes they were
    anyone who says "zoinks" and talks to dogs
    and doesn't want to do anything but eat
    and not to mention, Shaggy eats Scooby's "Scooby Snax"
    stoner?
    yesithinkso

7. Shaggy did seem a little ostracized by the group. I mean sure, he was definitely part of the group, but he'd much rather chill with a dog and eat 'scooby snacks'.

He probably just called them 'scooby snacks' so everyone would think that it was dog-food. Clever.

They were always cracking up at stuff . . . which is wierd because dogs don't usuallly laugh.

I would say that it's wierd to talk to dogs, but the whole crew talked to Scooby.

The part that wierds me out is that Scooby could talk . . . . But that's cool, because Shaggy needed someone to talk to that was on his level.

Well, they were definately on the same . . . level . . . . :smoking:

8. The whole show itself was originaly an adult cartoon about smoking weed and shit. But they changed it to a kids show, it used to be dooby doo and changed to scooby doo, it used to be dooby snacks not scooby snacks, the van was all colorfull and stoner.

9. scooby doo and shaggy are stoners, im spreading the word. i haven't watched the show in 5 years and before then i never use to partake in herbal activites. I JUST REALIZED THIS and i must go watch that show :hello::hello::hello::smoke::smoke::smoke::

10. I have been watching scooby doo since I was a youngster. I am 27 years old. That was RIGHT during my childhood. Its funny cause I remember watching as a kid and having no clue what weed even was. Once I got older and began smoking I never put it together that they where stoners until a friend pointed it out to me. Agter it was pointed out ot me I made it a mission to watch some episodes just to see if my boy was full of shit. And sure enough EVERYTHING they do is what stoners do. I have always been a fan of scooby but this made me love them that much more.

:D

11. Bump. Oh yeah, they are definitely stoners.

12. Velma grew it, Scooby and Shaggy were her best customers. Freddy was Daphne's pimp and was the 'delivery' man for Velma....(thats why they were always traveling);)

13. someone mentioned the obvious stoners for Shaggy in the Scooby Doo movie. I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread yet, but in the movie after Mystery Inc breaks up, Scooby and SHaggy drive off in the van and Scooby asks "what're we gonna do now" or something like that.

Then you hear Shaggy say "What we do best" and it cuts to a scene of them sitting in the Mystery Machine, which is parked on a beach boardwalk, giggling in the back. Playing in the background is reggae music and when the camera goes inside the van all there is is smoke and you hear Shaggy say "talk about toasted!" As the camera pans out, we learn they're just grilling burgers and that's what's making the smoke. But it was an obvious nod to the Shaggy/Scooby stoner arguments haha.

I do believe they puff. You know, if they were real. I believe the creators made obvious stoner characters haha

• They mooched off of Velma, Daphne, and Fred when it came down to going places or getting a meal.

• They lived out of the back of the Mystery Machine and seem more content living in a cramped van than in a real house.

• Dog treats were an acceptable substitute for a well-balanced meal to them. (Unless Velma is even more amazing than I thought and makes some hella good edibles)

• They were dumb enough to go into rickety old buildings full of structural damage and environmental dangers to look for possibly sociopathic people in monster costumes late at night.

• Shaggy seems to be a fan of loose-fitting clothing that utilize earth tones. And according to different sources of lore, he's basically a trust-fund kid.

Sounds like two stoners to me.

14. you can see smoke coming from the mystery machine sometimes in the first seris.

15. Myth No. 3: The granddaddy of all Scooby-Doo rumors is that Shaggy and Scooby represent stoners, which is why they constantly have the munchies while driving around in a flower-power van. According to the rumor, this was a deliberate in-joke by the animators that flew over the heads of the network brass.
    Verdict: False. Widespread, but still false. Dozens of arguments could be offered as to why no self-respecting middle-aged Hanna-Barbera artist or writer in 1969 would even think of jeopardizing the success of the show with such a joke, but the easiest refutation is to go to the source. "It's not true," Takamoto said. "The creative team never brought that into play in our thinking about this show. It wasn't until much later that this sort of rumor began to surface." Besides, Takamoto added, one of the key creative players in the development of Scooby-Doo was a network executive, which means that Silverman would have had to have been in on the joke himself or uncharacteristically unaware.

Ultimately, the fact that so many people develop legends around these drawn characters, even to the point of wanting to identify with them, is a testament to the degree to which Scooby, Shaggy, and the the rest of the gang have been taken to heart by viewers over the years.

Source: HowStuffWorks "'Scooby-Doo' Myths and Facts"

Despite this though... Scooby and Shaggy are SUCH stereotypical stoners that it almost has to be true, despite any 'official' refutations.

16. Of course they were, I used to watch that show all the time stoned, theres been times where I was sure they were about to light up right there in the show.

17. shaggy: "i forgot that matches don't work underwater."
    connect the dots, man.

18. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76jSM7GfYc]YouTube - Scooby and Shaggy Busted[/ame]

:smoke:

19. This thread has me thinking so hard. I think you guys are right lol! :smoke:

I always thought they were just stupid :/ I never watched the show high though, so I never connected the dots myself.