We're All Soldiers

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by The Botanist, May 5, 2011.

1. I googled it. I should have added 'Made in Japan' in my search.

2. Coexistence does not require hostility. I like to think it's more of a give/take relationship. If I were to user a metaphor, I guess I'd say I'm a stock holder/trader? Definitely not a fighter..

3. Well it seems to me that being generally aggressive(as in ambition, determination, and motivation) is key to being successful. People that generally lack those things, in my experience, are less successful overall.

4. #64 DBV, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
    I see your point and I agree mostly. I guess I'd distinguish a difference in aggressive and all out soldier though. Stock holders can also be rather determined.

Do you think success is relative and can only be determined subjectively? We all have our own goals to succeed, and I'd like to hope that war/fighting isn't involved in humanity's success, as inevitable as it seems right now.

I think Sun Tzu was ultimately right though.. from the path humanity has chosen, war must happen to the most extreme for us to realise how completely futile it is, and eventually then we would obtain peace. Do I think world peace is possible? Only if we destroy ourselves. Humans are innately hostile and as sexist as this sounds (coming from a man. lol), I think men's need for power and strength is the cause. In the end, it's completely natural, but may very well cause our extinction.

5. No lol

I'm definitely not implying that killing is successful; that is, unless it was required for survival...

It's relative I guess.

6. Even just fighting hinders the ability of success imo, because only one side wins. Fighting is rather narcissistic imo.

I guess this really shows the subjectivity in success because I could see people thinking "only one side wins" as success.

7. Well sometimes a little bit of selfishness is necessary for survival. If we are naturally inclined to be this way, then it means it must have worked for our ancestors.

Edit: Reading over your post; it seems like you measure success by group rather than individual.

8. #68 DBV, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
    I agree.. it's tough coming from a lover to admit, but sometimes you have to kill the "bad" just so the "good" can live. It hurts me to think humanity may always have to survive this way, because without it, the bad would be all that's left and who knows what would happen then. lol

Like you asked earlier: How capable is humanity of world peace? Honestly, I don't think our genetic programming will allow it, but if it does happen, it's going to require a lot of hard work and determination.

Drop treaties, not bombs. Even then though, survival of the fittest is always in effect and people will do anything for their resources. Isn't that what the Iraqi war is all about?