Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Welll....sonofabitch!!

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by namron_420s, Aug 29, 2002.

1. i come home, sit down at the puter for a nice relaxin couple of insomniatic hours of surfing the city...yahoo opens up...and what the hell do i see in the news but this bullshit!!

Early Pot Smokers Become Addicts, U.S. Study Says
    Wed Aug 28, 5:52 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The younger someone is when first trying marijuana, the more likely he or she is to become dependent on illegal drugs later in life, U.S. government researchers said on Wednesday.

They found that 62 percent of adults aged 26 or older who first started using marijuana before they were 15 had also tried cocaine at some point.

More than 9 percent reported they had used heroin and more than half had used prescription drugs for recreational purposes.

Less than 1 percent of those who said they had never tried marijuana reported having tried cocaine or heroin and just 5 percent had abused prescription drugs, the report, by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, found.

"These findings are of grave concern because studies show smoking marijuana leads to changes in the brain similar to those caused by cocaine, heroin and alcohol," SAMHSA administrator Charles Curie said in a statement.

"Heavy marijuana abuse impairs the ability of young people to retain information during their peak learning years when their brains are still developing," Curie added.

"Every day in this country, more than 3,000 people -- most of them under the age of 18 -- use marijuana for the first time. Their early marijuana use exposes them to risks of drug dependencies, long-term physical and cognitive consequences, and social problems," White House Office of National Drug Control Policy Director John Walters said in a statement.

The report, based on National Household Survey data, found that 18 percent of adults who said they first tried pot before the age of 15 met the criteria for either dependence or abuse of alcohol or illicit drugs, compared to 2.1 percent of adults who said they had never used marijuana.

The survey also found that an estimated 2 million Americans 12 or older said they had used marijuana for the first time in 1999, down from 2.5 million in 1998.

Other researchers have found that teenagers who start smoking are more likely to become addicted to nicotine than people who wait to try cigarettes when they are adults.

ME=PISSED!

2. That's lame. I don't believe marijuana is a gateway drug but I do think it makes some people more comfortable in trying new drugs. I don't think I would've tried shrooms or DXM if I hadn't already experimented with marijuana alot. Still though... dumb old yahoo

3. marijuana IS gateway drug, a gateway for the mind and spirit

4. That is SO not true! I always studied the best when I was school if I was high. And I was a straight A student and everything I memorized, I still remember to this day. I can still recite the Lord's Prayer in Spanish.......not that I'll ever need to know that but its in my head with all the rest of the useless information.

And for marijuana being a gateway drug for harder substances, I don't agree. I tripped on acid before I ever tried pot. If someone is going to try harder drugs, they are going to do it regardless of whether they smoke pot or not.

I hate articles like that one. People with their "research studies" and most of the time, they have not a clue what they are talking about. And I would like to know who the people are that they use in their studies. I think they use the same ones for each and every study.

5. EXACTLY!!!! the results of the study depend on who you ask, not what actually happens!!

6. That is exactly it! If you go on the street and ask a crack head questions and give them 20 bucks then they are going to tell you whatever you want to hear. And it won't be anywhere near the truth. I think that's what they do......they pay crack heads and use their names to come up with whatever conclusion they want to.

7. thats just yellow journalism for pro legalization. see, the prob is that parents relize that their kids can obtain this drug easier then liquor or cigarettes and aren't afraid of trying this. I bet the government knew of this earlier, but now their pushing this in our faces and into the faces of congress to show that control of the substance is needed and that the war on drugs isn't it, but rather legalization and control like they have for liquor on it.

8. Hell yeah, pot is a gateway to harder drugs. But with that logic anything is.

A baby is born and is instantly addicted to oxygen, then the baby eats for the first time and BAM is instantly addicted to mothers milk, which is then a gateway to bottled milk which is a gateway to solid food which is a gateway to junk food, etc. etc. etc.

Another example of how you can use statistics to prove any side of any arguement.

9. Well, the SAMHSA is stuffed up the government's ass anyway, so it's all just another round of propaganda...same shit, different day!

The numbers mean nothing to me because people don't always tell the truth for fear of repercussions and stats don't impress me because they are too random.

There is a lot going on with the Nevada Initiative so those that are against that are going to be mass producing as much bullshit as possible between now and November to rock the vote on the 5th. Jay Leno has mentioned it at least 3 days in a row so people know what's going on and the government is setting their pawns up to do their dirty work to assure that nothing passes in Nevada or anywhere else for that matter.

I'm pissed off, too, Norm!!!!!!!

10. growwwll..........grrrrrooooowwwlllll.......

ok...im fine now