Well water is @ 380 ppm = RO system?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by woodsmaneh, Feb 21, 2011.

1. So I'm moving from organic soil to RDWC and I test my well water and it's 380 that's a bit too high from what I have gathered. Just what are my options? Thanks

:wave:

2. I would go with R/O.

Besides distilled it is the only way to know what your soup PPM is composed of.

3. I would go with RO for sure. My well water is at 180, so I used it. It works really well. I just have no rust or anything like that in it.

4. RO for sure . Well water can have trace minerals that mj doesn't like:)

5. you might want to invest in a good ro system that has a low waste ratio if you are on a well. you dont want to dry your well. merlin makes a 1:1 waste ratio and an 1:2 that is a bit more affordable. your well might get cleaner as you use it more. if they arent used much they get a bit nasty. sometimes draining off a few hundred gallons will clear them up if they havent been used much in a while.

6. well water and RO units... this is a tricky subject, there may be minerals in ur well that a RO unit alone will not remove, also with waste water u will be "recontaminating" ur well, the ppm that is rejected will go back into ur well even when down the drain. water spills out of the septic tank into the leach field and back into the ground water.
    the waste water with the high ppm will cause over time the well waters ppm to climb, causing ur RO to work harder reducing filter life,

but RO technology is the best we have right now, so ur stuck with it

7. How often does good city water need an RO system?

8. depends on the city, also depends on ur methods, if im running a system where water is my medium (aeroponics, DWC, etc) then im using purifier water, but if i want to water my lawn i use tap...

i always use RO, but if ur water tap is like 100ppm i would use that for soil and stuff... but here in so cail, we have 300-400ppm