Well things are looking up in Canada but still years away

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by jsoickle, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Awesome that they want to legalize it, hopefully NDP will do this Sewell because if they did NDP would get my vote

2. awesome soon my friends soon

3. excellent, now the canadians can send some weed down along with that cold damn weather every year

Seriously though, good for you guys, hope they'll have it in my state by the time this goes through

4. That article doesnt show much...

5. also R.v mernagh's results will be in tmrw

6. #7 canadian69, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
    R. v. Mernagh, 2013 ONCA 67

Political Party lines

The NDP are having their annual convention in Montreal this April and this topic will be discussed. However their current position is one of Decriminalization (HOWEVER Mulcair put his foot in his mouth last year stating that he wouldn't pursue decriminalization rather would go back to an inquiry mode)

NDP Leadership frontrunner Thomas Mulcair has switched positions from pro-decriminalization to anti-decriminalization and said marijuana can cause "mental illness".

His current position (based on clarification from the party) is that he was referring to legalization in the negative, not decriminalization (for small amounts). Although the whole "mental illness" argument is bogus to begin with. We know there is a link between schizophrenia and youth pot smoking for people with certain genetic predispositions, something like if you started smoking at 15 your likely hood of having a psychotic episode or developing (or exacerbating the symptoms of) schizophrenia being something near 6 times higher. I don't recall the specifics, but the documentary is here. We know addiction is a mental health issue and that addiction can seriously complicate existing mental illnesses. My point being I can say the same thing about nicotine, alcohol, and billions of prescription drugs ALL of which can kill you. Stupid argument. He's not the guy we need in the NDP.

The Liberals have thrown in the gauntlet for Legalization (mainly a movement created by the Young Liberals of Canada) and the Liberal party's desperate attempts to maintain relevance , however this could simply be an attempt to steal votes away from the vacillating NDP. They know it will attract young voters and it seems they see that as their meal ticket. Would they actually ever do anything though? Would they tear down the existing and fairly extensive (if not inept) work that the PC's have done? Would they build on it towards legalization? Would they at least immediately fix the situation for medical patients and their access to reliable high quality suppliers?

I personally do not trust the Liberals any more than the PC's, but the fiscal light bulb has gone on for most parties and they now recognize the taxation benefits. The uneducated and wishy-washy stance that the NDP seems to currently maintain is NOT at all inspiring or convincing, but this April in Montreal will tell us more.

Handling it the same way we do booze is probably the ultimate end game up here. I don't expect any real movement unless there is a major (youth) voter surge next election (2015).

» Politicians on Cannabis Policy Senate Report on Cannabis 10-year Anniversary

What the Conservative Government just did These DB's need to go tho, seriously!

It's a bit amusing (if not depressing) as you would think our parties would be full of Barney Franks (for a USA example), but alas, although willing to talk, there doesn't seem to be anyone from the top 3 parties that is willing to fall on his/her sword in the name of true civil liberty. Since it's enormously unlikely that any of the other parties will ever win majority, these are our choices....

Be retarded (in the traditional sense of the word) = (Progressive Conservatives)
    Promises for votes, then hope for the best = (Liberals)
    Yeah, maybe, perhaps, lets do another study (NDP).

What do we do then? Vote Liberal en mass in the hopes that they actually will follow through with legalization (or decriminalization) within a majority government? Keep in mind this legalization initiative is not officially adopted by the party, it rests as a set of suggestions from the BC YLC. I think the young liberals are in for a shocking eye opener in terms of what their party will actually consider doing. Don't line your votes up here until you see it as an official part of the party platform.

Or...throw your vote away in protest, by voting the greens, libertarians, marijuana party etc?

Of course we wait until April to see what the NDP says. Maybe they will address the MMPR issues and draft an official plan for decriminalization. Personally, I am legalize or bust so I doubt that the NDP are getting my vote (assuming I was voting on a single issue), particularly if the Liberals look like they are actually going to go for legalization (if its not a fantasy designed to attract young voters away from the other parties, as I suspect).

I am not a medical user so my perspective is one of civil liberty and an understanding that prohibition just doesn't work. Which amounts to nothing more than support of criminal organizations, perpetuates the war on drugs, the expansion of Canada Corrections, the continued attack upon the sick, the innocent and minorities.

The conservatives have been seriously messing with medical patient...well patience; and I think it's because Health Canada really only sees cannabis as a palliative care option rather than actual medicine. It's a powder keg, smoldering. I have talked with Psychiatric professionals and general practitioners, but they have other points of concern (delivery, dosing, interactions, mental health, addiction...same as they have for every substance). These real world concerns that healthcare professionals have seem to have little bearing on what the politicians are thinking and doing.

Having said that, Conservatives did push production out from under the current subsidy structure with the single manufacturer, to a licensing system whereby corporate growers will be the source (heavily regulated of course). Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they did this to improve access and reduce risk, but this will drastically increase med pricing over the next few years. So ultimately useless and pushes production back to illegal operations and worse yet removes patients ability to grow their own! Unacceptable!!! This has to be overturned.

I recommend you sign up with the protest running this month. www.fightthemmpr.ca

So essentially things are NOT "looking up" in Canada, but regardless any real change (pos/neg) is at least another 5-10 years away. I for one, am not going to let Health Canada, Justice or our politicians get in my way (in the mean time). When our politicians come to the conclusion that they need to play catch-up with society (not just pay it lip service) and make some rational, logical changes, we'll all be saying "what a bunch of morons, they could have done it 10 years ago and saved us all a lot of green, leaf and grief).

7. Sigh, I hate it when I like neither of the parties they've all gone to shit or so it seems. Green Party has my vote coming next election unless the other parties actually suggest some good rational changes in the near future.

8. At this point I will definitely be voting for the liberals as it is the most optimistic chance of success. Justin Trudeau has come out in support or full legalization (not decriminalization) so if he gets into power then there might be a chance. George Takach is also pushing for legalization, however I think he has much less chance of becoming the leader of the Liberals.

9. The Liberals even has the policy on their website. I am not a liberal but they will get my vote on election day..Go Liberals:hello:

10. #11 stonersaywhat, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
    And that is one of the reasons the conservatives are in power. Voting for the Green Party achieves NOTHING. Don't get me wrong what they stand for is great, but no change can come of it because not enough Canadians will ever vote for them. All of the parties have seem to have gone to shit but the shittiest one is the Conservatives.

Conservatives have the majority of votes because they're more popular with the older, baby-boomer generation. They also have less votes against them because many young people don't go out to vote at all.

NDP and Liberals their votes are split. Trudeau either needs to sway NDP supporters, or I even wouldn't mind a merger between the NDP and the Liberals to ensure a majority government be taken away from the Conservatives. That may be a pipe-dream but... it's still more viable then the Green Party getting any position of real power.

What I'm still confused about is how after a vote of NON-CONFIDENCE did the Conservatives get elected with a MAJORITY government?

America knows they have been frackked, they know the government bailed out the corporate leaders instead of putting that money into the hands of the people that need(ed) it most. They may not be doing anything about it yet, but they are thinking about it. America's gov't is starting to get scared of their people (gun control being pushed heavily).

Whereas Canada, we are still in denial somewhat. The majority of us don't know what's really going on, don't know to what extent we are being frackked.

I have a bad feeling about this...

shitharperdid.ca

RIP Jack Layton

11. Well Justin Trudeau is definitely targeting a younger crowd in hopes of getting their votes. We just have to make sure everyone we know actually goes out to vote for the Liberals. That is the only way they will have a chance. Unfortunately for the NDP, I think that their party died with Jack Layton and I don't think they will do nearly as well in the next election. At this point any vote other than Liberal is a wasted vote if we want weed legalized in Canada. Unless, the Conservatives do a 180 on their policy, but I don't see that happening.

12. By next election it will be too late. Harper will already have these commercial grows set up and taxed and no matter how cool or young the liberal leader is he won't be allowed to change it.
    Yes that's right I said allowed. Remember, party leaders are puppets and once the gov't is seeing tax cash you can kiss legalization and personal grows goodbye.

13. Read the MMPR as it stands now, a proposal.

If the Young Liberals of Canada can get their shit together long enough to get a resolution passed at their annual conference (doesn't mean the party will do anything about it) then we as Canadians can certainly pass the word and petition enough to kill this monstrosity.

Seems there is some other discussion here

Send your comments along to Health Canada on the proposed regulations.
    By E-mail: consultations-marihuana@hc-sc.gc.ca
    By Fax: (613) 941-7240
    By Mail: Bureau of Medical Marihuana Regulatory Reform,
    Controlled Substances and Tobacco Directorate,
    Healthy Environments and Consumer Safety Branch,
    Health Canada,
    Address Locator: AL3503D
    Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0K9

http://hempology.ca/protest/index.html

14. I read on the Metro News website today that the new Chief of Police of Halifax requested a meeting the President of L.E.A.P Canada to discuss alternatives to the war on drugs with himself and his top officials. When the Chief of Police starts to seek other options, I think attitudes are starting to finally shift in the right direction. I was actually very glad to see that article.

15. Things are looking up for Canada? Yeah, right. I seem to recall the conclusion of a recent federal court hearing: Cannabis is illegal and criminalized and it's going to stay that way for quite some time. They also said medical cannabis is unconstitutional.

You people shouldn't get your hopes up. Harper is a bully and he's not going to give up without a fight.

16. Harper sucks.

17. Harper is a dick head all people that grow in Canada should keep growing when they take your Liscense away next April out grow government . Vote NDP or libral next election kick Harper out on his ass .

18. Makes my guts boil, taking away the medical users ability to grow their own while with the other hand upgrading the mandatory minimum sentencing for cannabis.

The federal legislation (Bill C-10) includes the following new measures:
    Mandatory Minimum Sentences for Schedule II Drugs
    (CANNABIS AND MARIJUANA)
    • Trafficking: 1-2 YEARS minimum
    • Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking: 1-2 YEARS minimum
    • Importing/Exporting: 1 YEAR minimum
    • Possession for the Purpose of Exporting: 1 YEAR minimum
    • Production of 6 - 200 plants: 6 MONTHS minimum
    With Health and Safety Factors: 9 MONTHS minimum

• Production of 201 - 500 plants: 1 YEAR minimum
    With Health and Safety Factors: 18 MONTHS minimum
    • Production of more than 500 plants: 2 YEARS minimum
    With Health and Safety Factors: 3 YEARS minimum
    • Production of oil or resin: 1 YEAR minimum
    With Health and Safety Factors: 18 MONTHS minimum
    * Above sentences are minimums, and will be increased with aggravating factors.

It's outrageous and unconscionable. The fact that this is happening in Canada is shameful.