Well damn...a hermie

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by azznerak, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Well shit...
    During my inspection of the tri's I noticed that a few nuggets at the joints went hermaphrodite. I checked the rest of her and it only seems to be concentrated at the joint near the top. I nearly shit a Iron goose, but I did some research and read several comments about hermie females producing only female seeds due to the genetics of hermaphroditism. So I hopefully I will get a handful of female seeds to play with.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I dont think thats how feminised seeds come to be. Pretty sure you'll get 50/50 m/f with the females being more likely to herm out on you

3. How many plants do you have?

4. So were the sacs mature and open already? Do you think it pollinated your other plants? Are you going to remove the hermaphrodite or just wing it?

5. Any seeds you get will basically be useless unfortunately, you would need to pollinate a different plant to get feminized seeds, if that's even the correct type of Hermie. Since it's your only one I'd finish growing it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I'm pretty sure the sacs are mature, but it being in an enclosed area means if the other buds were going to pollinated i hope they would already be. I'm probably wrong, but she has been with me this long I might as well let her go. Could have been a number of things that stressed her into splitting genders. But maybe the Old Gods will grant me a boon.....

maybe...

7. I have been using this method I found online to try and determine the sex of a cannabis plant from the seeds. My first garden I did this and got two out of three females, but I was green and harvested too soon. This time around I tried again and got one female (this one ) one male and one that never sprouted. Some life problems early on caused me to not tend to the garden the way I should have, hence the failed sprout and the hermie I think.

[​IMG]

8. Just thought it's impossible.

9. What do you think the underlying problem was to make this happen??

Sent from my SM-G935P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. It got super cold a few months back and it dropped to nearly 45-50 in the stealth box for a few nights before I was able to get something to up the temp. I heard extreme drop in temps can shock a plant to hermie. I also heard it's a natural thing, like a last ditch attempt at the plant to spread its genes.

11. Wow determining a seed's sex by looking at it! If it works it could save on labor and soil. Next time I use reg. seeds I'm going to give it a try. Maybe I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. That seed sexing chart is complete BS. I sprouted out dozens of plants using that urban legend and kept track of what grew out of what seed and it was totally random.

Plants that grow balls early in flowering will produce about 30% hermie girls if the seeds are sprouted. When 'nanners show up very late in flowering most of the seeds, if allowed to mature, will produce female plants tho the 'nanner pollen should be used to pollinate a different female to avoid the pitfalls of interbreeding.

All cannabis plants have the ability to self-pollinate with sativas more likely to do so.

• Like Like x 2