Welcome to the Machine

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by DBV, Aug 16, 2011.

1. #1 DBV, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
    Have you ever sat down and thought about DNA? It truly blows my mind what this seemingly TINY set of molecules can do...

First off, it holds the instructions to create every single cell in our bodies, and more than one time over usually.. Such as replacing skin cells, or destroyed lung tissue from smoke, germs, or other particles, which tells me it also has communication with the immune system. It has the capacity to recreate our entire selfs with just one cell from our body.

Now if we see that this set of molecules basically is our soul, and creates our physical form, couldn't we also look at is as if it holds the information of our thoughts/memories/mental processes (even cellular processes)? I mean, scienctists say they only understand 3% of DNA's makeup!!!! 97% unaccounted for!!?

If we realise that DNA has communication with other organs/processes in order to heal certain aspects of the body, we can see that it certainly has a form of communication, and that it has a lot of power over our physical "me" or self. I mean even thinking about my body, it's weird because I realise it basically takes care of itself as long as I feed it... my mind doesn't control it consciously, it just helps me experience what I'm hear to experience.. crazy.

IDK, I just think DNA is our soul, and basically creates who I am in all aspects more or less.. Trying to imagine what made it work from the get-go seems rather pointless.. it's just amazing to think of how it works now. All those little cells hold tens of thousands worth of encyclopedias of information.. WOAH! They're SO tiny!!! HOW!!?? haha.. weird shit man..

Sorry if it's a little long.. just wanted to share my thoughts and see what others opinons are on this.

2. size is relative, your perception of how big or small something is has little/no correlation to function really

3. #3 DBV, Aug 16, 2011
    This is true... but still, that's a shitload of information those "little" molecules are containing! I think it's very possible they hold more than just instructions considering how much we actually understand about it..

4. #4 DBV, Aug 16, 2011
    Another funny thing to think about is imagining the DNA double helix as consciousness itself, just manifested in a physical human form (or other species):

[​IMG]

And then imagining ingesting psychoactive chemicals, such as THC and seeing it alter your consciousness by communicating to certain DNA structures in specific parts of the body via receptor sites (which are made via the DNA's instructions)..

[​IMG]

Maybe then the DNA tells the body where to send the signals, and what to send in them to create the altered reality experience?

5. counsciousness is a manifestation of our superior intellect, an illusion of awareness in my opinion. honestly, i have a feeling that universes are contained within the smallest of particles. its entirely plausible.

6. #6 DBV, Aug 16, 2011
    Me too. I mean, since my body takes care of itself as long as it has food, does that mean it is also conscious, which would be separate from my minds consciousness? Or that the entire body is conscious through the DNA?

As to universes, I think that relates to your post about size.. I think everything is infinitely conscious, and if you think of particles like fractals, it is never ending. I just think there is a hierarchy to what gets to experience more senses... who/what decides this hierarchy, idk, but I think humans are more conscious than atoms, even though I see atoms as conscious.. Everything has specific rules it abides by ALWAYS. This, to me, implies an imprint of information in even the smallest of quarks, and imprinted information is not a coincidence..

That last paragraph seems odd to me though because I don't believe in reincarnation, so the thought that there is a hierarchy is odd to me.. I guess it's just a natural hierarchy because human consciousness doesn't begin until conception IMO.. I wonder if the atom's consciousness is an infinite lifetime? What would it's experience be? lol.

[​IMG]

You can see the darker "squares" are cosmos... representing atoms as infinite imo. Heres a more 3D effect to the same artwork: (fast forward to 6:05 for artwork)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nbNEfUkm4&NR=1[/ame]

7. i dont need to fast forward the video. i think i may have talked to you before about my love of tool. and i can see where you are coming from.

and about reincarnation, i actually DO believe in it in a way. considering we are counscious beings, when we die, dont you think it is pretty likely that we would end up as another conscious being immediately after death? i dont necessarially think that there is anything that connects you to any of your previous existences, but i look at it this way, "i think, therefore i am." and if you didnt exist, you would have no perception of anything. im having trouble explaining my idea but i guess it sort of relates to the fact that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, you would just switch to another being of consciousness after death, because without consciousness, there is nothing really. maybe it wouldnt be reincarnation necessarially, but the illusion of it.

8. I'm open to the possibility of reincarnation, but I just don't think there is anyway we can prove it until it happens, which you'd forget your past life anyways so it's like it never happened. Again, I think memories are tied to your DNA, so once you die, all of those are wiped clean if your consciousness moves to another body.

In a way, this is how I see it because we are all the one form of existence.. but at the same time, I don't see any singular "me" once I'm dead, or before I was born, so I think my singular consciousness will pass, but at the same time, it has always existed.

9. hmm, i dont think memories have anything to do with dna really? many things have DNA but dont have any memories. maybe i am not understanding your idea.

10. #10 DBV, Aug 16, 2011
    Well it's probably a part of the human DNA structure.. think about evolution. Species haven't always had memory until there DNA evolved to have it made in there brains. Where else would memories be stored? Science can explain what part in the brain deals with memory, but not how or where. It's just a theory though.. Maybe DNA stores it, and tells the signals where to go with the information when needed (the same place that the DNA is used to build in the first place)?

Anyways, I'm just trying to say I don't think there is a singular consciousness we ourselves can place ownership on because really, the singular consciousness of it all owns it, and upon death, I think we simply return back to it, or maybe placed in a new lifeform. I'm pretty sure we're on a similar page here..

11. Thats what I keep telling my girlfriend but she just won't hear of it

12. #12 DBV, Aug 16, 2011
    Does DNA Emit Light? Note that this is still theoretical.. but an interesting read nontheless.

Biophotons

Maybe these biophotons are what are communicating between the receptors and DNA itself? The light(biophotons) is what creates our connection to physical consciousness.. They seem to have some mechanism of communication with other molecules within the cell... maybe outside as well?

edit: Just read the entire quote I posted, and I guess they seem to agree with me in theory..

13. Life itself is so complex and crazy it's amazing!
    It makes learning about ourselves and the world around us so cool, there is an unlimited amount of knowlegde as we haven't even discovered anywhere close to all of it yet. [if there is an end ;)] :D

14. This is exactly what i've been thinking about aswell. Seeing as space is just empty space filled with different objects and varying other things, this could be exactly what's inside a particle or an atom. Our universe might just be a particle of dirt deep beneath the ground of some other unearthly universe and that's how it hasnt imploded yet and it has had time to grow, because it's not disturbed.

Probably not correct, but definately interesting to think about. These thoughts come to me when im high