Welcome to Philly...

Discussion in 'General' started by IGotTheCottons, Jul 13, 2007.

1. http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20070605_Phila__leads_big_cities_in_murder_rate.html

I don't live in Philly, anymore (I love it there though), but I do live literally just outside the city limits... Lots of these places are places I used to go to to cop trees and shit. WTF is happening to my beloved city? Even more so... Lots of this violence is spilling out into my neighborhood... Shit's crazy man...

The article is mostly about last year... This year's rate exceeds last years (so far) by 10% +/-...

2. Yeah man it's kind of crazy, I just accepted a new job working in the city and everyone I have met is very nice. The atmosphere always seems peaceful, never see any gangs or anything wandering around. I live just outside the city too and have never seen anything problematic there either.

3. How about welcome to any inner city?

Im from NY same thing.

I lived in Miami same thing.

Parts of Orlando, same thing.

4. That's a shame cause Philly is the shit. I used to go down there and skate at love as well as see a phillies game. So much to do I love it. There's something about that city that makes it so great, its so peaceful just to walk around and the atmosphere makes me happy haha

I'm only an hour n a half a way so I'm down there a couple times a year. But it's just like any big city, there's always violence but I would never think philly would be #1 and how much it's gone up is crazy

5. Really? NY, Miami, and Orlando all have the highest murder rate in the country? Doubt that... And it's not just the inner city, either man... It's the "good" parts of the city, the "inner" city, as well as the immediate burbs. No where in the city is safe, and "Philadelphians are the most likely to be murdered of any major US city".

You got a job in Center City, I take it? You live a bit further outside the city than I do (If I remember correctly)... I live in the Levittown area, which really is JUST outside the city... I can be in center city in like 15 minutes if traffic's not bad (to give ya an idea of how close)... This year 4 people have been murdered within 1.5 miles of my house, 2 of which were good friends of mine...

6. There was just a 14 year old teenager shot while riding his bike - because he didn't move from being in some driver's way fast enough... So the guy behind the wheel just pulled out his piece and lit the teen up... For no fucking reason at all other than he was in his way and didn't move fast enough... This shit's fucked up...

7. It really scares me that your police force is being downsized in time of need. I posted an article a while back about East Coast murder rates increasing...

They said in the article that philly's homicide $ have been cut due to dept of homeland security.

8. They just had a thing on the news (I think it was yesterday or the day before) about how murder rates nation-wide are going down (NYC, Miami, LA), but Philly has seen a double-digit increase.

Not to mention City Hall is corrupt beyond all belief... Almost every key person in politics in Philly is crooked. There were a few charged with taking bribes, selling coke, and other such crap (up to and including the fucking Mayor). Philly is almost in a state of complete anarchy...

I honestly believe a lot of it has to do with Philly gangs wanting to make a name for themselves. It's like the people WANT Philly to be the most dangerous city in America... Fuckin crazy ass people around here, man.

Also: I feel it's important to note that the 14 y/o who was shot yesterday was in a GOOD neighborhood in So. Philly.

9. That's not surprising...

I'm from Ohio...a neighbor. So much corruption...James Traficant...Bob Taft...Coingate...the elections...It needs to end.

10. ha, you think you have problems, come out to baltimore MD.
    you cant go anywhere at night.

11. No offense dude, but Baltimore don't got shit on Philly. *cough cough* highest murder rate in the country *cough cough*...

You think Baltimore's bad... Come up to Philly. Fuck night time, you can barely go anywhere during the DAY. The 14 y/o was shot in broad daylight with numerous witnesses - as is the case with many of this year's murders.

12. dude, im not saying philly's a safe haven.
    im just saying that baltimores shit.

http://baltimorecrime.blogspot.com/

[edit] Crime

CNN/Morgan Quitno "Most Dangerous City" Rankings (2006) ranks Baltimore as the 12<SUP>th</SUP> most dangerous American city.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-12>[14]</SUP> Baltimore is second only to Detroit among cities with a population over 500,000.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-morgan_0>[15]</SUP>
    According to crime statistics there were 269 homicides in Baltimore in 2005,<SUP class=reference id=_ref-13>[16]</SUP> giving it the highest homicide rate per 100,000 of all U.S. cities of 250,000 or more population. <SUP class=reference id=_ref-morgan_1>[15]</SUP> Though this is significantly lower than the record-high 353 homicides in 1993, the homicide rate in Baltimore is nearly seven times the national rate, six times the rate of New York City, and three times the rate of Los Angeles. In addition, other categories of crime in Baltimore have also been declining, although overall crime rates are still high compared to the national average. The rate of forcible rapes has fallen below the national average in recent years; however, Baltimore still has much higher-than-average rates of aggravated assault, burglary, robbery, and theft.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-14>[17]</SUP>
    Though the crime situation in Baltimore is considered one of the worst in the nation, city officials have pointed out that most violent crimes, particularly homicides, are committed by people who know their victims and who are often associated with the illegal drug trade.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-15>[18]</SUP>
    City officials have, however, come under scrutiny from Maryland legislators regarding the veracity of crime statistics reported by the Baltimore City Police Department.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-16>[19]</SUP> For 2003 the FBI identified irregularities in the number of rapes reported, which was confirmed by the Mayor. 2005's homicide numbers appeared to exhibit discrepancies as well<SUP class=reference id=_ref-17>[20]</SUP> The former Commissioner of Police stated upon interview that the administration suppressed corrections of its reported crime.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-18>[21]</SUP> However, many of these charges seem to be, at least partially, politically motivated.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-19>[22]</SUP> Nonetheless, experts indicate that the city's reporting practices merit an independent audit, with which the administration has not cooperated, despite requests from members of City Council and the City's auditor.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-20>[23]</SUP> While racial disparities in arrest and incarceration rates exist in Baltimore, both young white and black men in the city are arrested and incarcerated at relatively high rates. Fifty-two percent of black males in their 20s are either in prison, in jail, or under correctional supervision.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-21>[24]</SUP>
    At the same time however, a largely African American police force and correctional officer staff is present. Currently the department is administered by Commissioner Leonard D. Hamm, and Deputy Commissioner Errol L. Dutton, both of whom are African American and Deputy Commissioner Frederick H. Bealfeld III., who is white. During Martin O'Malley's administration as mayor, the department had become 43% African American.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-22>[25]</SUP>
    The ACLU has filed a suit in respect of systematic civil rights abuses by the current administration.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-23>[26]</SUP> While police officials and their detractors disagree about exact figures, it is nonetheless clear that approximately 25% of the roughly 100,000 arrests each year are made in the absence of a chargeable offense <SUP class=reference id=_ref-24>[27]</SUP>.
    Criminal intimidation has also been reported as a problem in the city.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-25>[28]</SUP> In an infamous case, community activist Angela Dawson and her family were murdered by firebomb in their Baltimore home on October 16, 2002, in retaliation for Dawson's reporting of criminal activity. In a separate incident, another public safety activist, Edna McAbier, was also targeted.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-26>[29]</SUP> Though she survived, she has fled her neighborhood, where she cannot be protected by city police.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-27>[30]</SUP> In 2005, 3 men were sentenced to life in prison for their involvement in the latter case.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-28>[31]</SUP> One of these men had appeared in the infamous video Stop Snitchin', a homemade DVD produced by local drug dealers threatening fellow dealers who failed to adhere to a street based code of ethics and became informants.
    In April of 2002, the City of Baltimore unveiled a Baltimore Believe advertising campaign against drug trafficking, drug violence, and drug use in the city. The campaign has sought thousands of signatures for its Declaration of Independence from Drugs.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-29>[32]</SUP> Associated signs on city vehicles and buildings state simply "BELIEVE".

on that note, i dont want to turn this thread into a competition because whoever wins, loses.

13. This shit happens everywhere cottons. Detroit was murder capital for awhile. And we held highest arson awhile among other things. People get killed in broad daylight like every fucking day. Everytime i turn on the news its another shooting. And its way past jus Detroit. Surrounding citys like ecorse and rouge been ghetto for years. Now they got citys even farther in the burbs getting bad. Southgate/Taylor/Wyandotte ect its all fucked up.

Thas why i say fuck the war in iraq, We got wars in the streets.

14. Apparantly Baltimore is worse than Philly in cities of 500,000 or more, but Philly takes the cake in cities of 1 million or more.

This is quoted from the article in the link in my first post:

<blockquote>
    Phila. leads big cities in murder rate

\t\t\t\t"It's a disturbing statistic," the police commissioner says. Other cities saw a rise.

\t\t\t\tBy Andrew Maykuth

\t\t\t\tInquirer Staff Writer

\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG] \t\t\t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t
    \t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\tClick "More images" to see another chart. \t\t\t
    \t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t» \t\t\t\tMore images \t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tPhiladelphia had the highest murder rate among the nation's 10 largest cities last year, and violent crime and property crime grew at a rate that exceeded the national average, according to FBI statistics released yesterday. Philadelphia's 406 murders last year represented a 7.7 percent increase over 2005. The 10 largest cities recorded an increase of 6.9 percent and nationwide the rate increased 0.3 percent, according to the FBI's preliminary uniform crime report.
    Among the top 10 cities, Philadelphia reported the highest violent-crime rate last year, up 5.9 percent. Nationwide, violent crime increased 1.3 percent last year over 2005, according to the FBI's annual survey of 11,723 law enforcement agencies. Violent crime includes murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault.
    "It's a disturbing statistic, we're very concerned about it, and we're going to do everything we can to reduce it," Police Commissioner Sylvester M. Johnson said yesterday.
    Property crime, which includes motor vehicle theft, burglary and larceny, decreased 2.9 percent nationwide. In Philadelphia, such thefts increased 3.6 percent.
    Other top-10 cities had higher growth rates in violent crime last year - New York experienced a 10.6 percent increase in murders, and Houston recorded 12.9 percent more murders last year.
    But Philadelphians were more likely to be murdered than residents of other cities whose populations exceed one million people. Philadelphia had a murder rate of 27.8 per 100,000 inhabitants in 2006, compared with 18.9 in 2002. Houston, the second-most-murder-prone city in the top 10, had 18.2 murders per 100,000 last year.
    The release of the data prompted local officials to renew calls for more assistance from Harrisburg and Washington. "We need stronger gun laws from the commonwealth and more support from the federal government," said Joe Grace, Mayor Street's spokesman.
    The statistics show that Philadelphia's peer group is not really other mega-cities, but other cities with substantial impoverished underclasses - Atlanta; Baltimore; Washington; Memphis; Oakland, Calif.; Richmond, Va.; St. Louis; Detroit; and Newark, N.J.
    Among 34 cities with populations greater than 500,000, Philadelphia's murder rate ranked fourth. Detroit, Baltimore and Washington recorded murder rates of 47, 43 and 29 per 100,000 inhabitants last year. Philadelphia also had the fourth-highest rate of violent crime among cities of a half-million or more, behind Detroit, Memphis and Baltimore.
    U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who last week proposed legislation that would increase penalties for some violent crimes and restore mandatory minimum sentences, said the crime statistics did not reveal nationwide trends. "Rather, they show local increases in certain communities," he said in Washington last week.
    But some criminologists say the statistics tell a tale of a nation cleaved along lines of populations - larger jurisdictions that have been on the short end of federal budget cuts, as well as those cities that have had to divert law enforcement resources to homeland security.
    Violent crime is up in cities with populations larger than 250,000, which have lost about 10 percent of their law enforcement resources since 2000, said James Alan Fox, a criminal justice professor at Northeastern University in Boston.
    In the rest of the country where police forces have not shrunk, he said, crime rates are steady. "I know people want their tax cuts, but a few hundred dollars in extra taxes seems small when you're staring down the barrel of a gun," said Fox.
    Criminologists say the crime is attributable to a complex mix of social and economic causes - unemployment, a resurgence in gang activity, increased traffic in illegal guns, reductions in programs for youth development, children growing up in poverty, and single-parent households.
    The challenge, Fox said, is that law enforcement will not be able to respond quickly to the increase in crime because it takes several years to recruit, train and deploy new officers to expand a depleted police force.
    Grace, the mayor's spokesman, noted that homicides are up across Pennsylvania since 2000 and called on the legislature to tighten restrictions on gun purchases. "This is not just a Philadelphia and Pittsburgh problem," he said.

\t\t
    \t\t \t\t\tThe Inquirer | \t\t\tDaily News | \t\t\tSports | \t\t\tEntertainment | \t\t\tClassifieds \t\t\t
    \t\t\tAbout Philly.com | \t\t\tTerms of Use & Privacy Statement | \t\t\tCopyright</blockquote>

15. Yeah I just can't wait til this rubs off on jersey, jerseys bad enough. Maybe I'll pick up a piece incase any dickheads want to screw around with me.

16. I know what you're saying, man... I know big cities always have violence and whatnot... What I'm saying, though, is that over the past 2 - 3 years, Philly's violence has exploded like no one could have imagined. We went from 21st most dangerous city one year to 1st the next... And it's not just the inner city, either... It's happening in the "safe" neighborhoods as well... Hell, where I live (just outside Philly) is going to shit. We have a rep in Trenton even (one of the top 10 most dangerous in the country), which is unheard of for any other local burbs. The gangs are moving in and taking control, and there's nothing the cops can really do about it.

This sucks man... I love Philly, and hate to see this shit happening to my city (Philly's my hometown, btw)... I miss my city of Brotherly Love...

17. alright alright alright i concede, you "win"

18. Why the attitude man? I wasn't competing or anything... Sorry if ya took it that way...

Like KSR said: Fuck the war in Iraq, we got a war here in our own streets... A war that we're close to losing...

19. I didnt mean it like that cottons. Sorry to come off like that :eek:

in relation to the war in iraq, just think of the billions of dollars that could have been used to fix up our country instead of killing poor people.

20. Yeah 2 people I know got shot in philly and trenton, hope this shit doesn't rub off in jersey.