Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weird Side Effects From Smoking Too Much Pot

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Crazy Ape, Jun 26, 2012.

1. I've been a frequent weed smoker and edible consumer for the last 4-5 years. However, towards the end of last year I took a break from marijuana completely for a couple of months around October-November. Once the holidays hit, however, I got back to eating lots of edibles (eating a potent weed cookie at least 5-6 times per week). About 4 or 5 months ago, I got sick of doing edibles and got back to vaporizing and mostly smoking every day. It doesn't really interfere with my daily life; I quit my job recently and will be going back to school in the fall, so I have plenty of time on my hands.

The last few months, though, I have noticed some strange side effects when smoking, and they seem to occur even when I take an edible. There is a strange throbbing and pulsating feeling that I get ONLY in my left leg, as if blood is rushing through my leg and/or one of my nerves is getting pinched. Also, I sometimes feel a really weird sensation through my back and rushing up to my brain, kind of like a brain freeze but a little bit more painful and uncomfortable. Then eventually I end up getting a painful headache and having to sleep it off.

A few months ago these side effects were minimal enough that I could just ignore them and still enjoy my high. They even stopped for a few weeks in between, strangely enough, despite my continued daily smoking. However, in the last couple of weeks, these side effects have come back and are even stronger than ever. I can't enjoy my high anymore and every time I smoke, I end up in bed writhing around in discomfort and trying to wait out these extremely uncomfortable side effects. I am definitely going to take a break from weed for a couple of weeks, possibly even longer, since it is just not what it used to be for me. I was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced something similar from smoking weed, and what could be causing it? Is it just a case of smoking too much and I need to take a break? Or could there be another non-weed related issue?

2. Sounds like panic attacks. You can have them even when you smoke regularly and have a tolerance, if you smoke too much in one sitting. Maybe next time just try taking 1 small hit off a bowl and see how that does you.

3. I have spasms in my right hamstring and left butt cheek.

And I'm not fucking kidding.

This happens EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

But I kinda like it.

4. Also try putting on your favorite band or a TV show you like or some other distraction. If it's psychosomatic (likely IMO) than laying in bed, withering around concentrating on it will just make it worse/prolong it.

Also panic attacks occur when people breath so quickly and deeply that they expel an unusual amount of carbon dioxide, which leads to symptoms that just exacerbate the panic. Try breathing into a paper bag or your cupped hands.

5. Hmmm, interesting. I didn't realize that what I was experiencing was panic attacks. I have noticed that if I only take 1 hit from a pipe, these symptoms are not nearly as bad. They're still there, but I can more easily put them in the back of my mind with some distraction, i.e. playing video games, reading a book, etc. However, if I take two or more hits at a time, these symptoms hit me much harder. This is really weird as it seems my tolerance has gone DOWN even though I have been smoking so frequently.

6. So I tried smoking again with some friends, and this time I concentrated really hard on trying to ease my anxiety. I kept telling myself, "It's not real, it's just your anxiety." This definitely helped suppress my symptoms to some degree, and I was able to concentrate much more on just chilling out and talking to my friends. However, I still felt the annoying muscle twitching in my left leg throughout the time I was smoking. While I tried to keep my concentration directed away from my leg, it was still kind of in the background and somewhat annoying. I'm starting to wonder if this could be a physical issue not associated with the panic disorder, because the leg twitching seems to be there no matter what. I'll keep experimenting a little, but I'll definitely be cutting back on my weed consumption significantly.

7. Keep us updated on it.

8. #8 MrBongToker420, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
    just a panic attack man
    next time you smoke just ease into it slowly

9. THC is a vasodilator - it "opens" your veins and capillaries and increases bloodflow, which could explain both the headaches and the throbbing. The stuff gives me a headache every time too. :p

10. But if it acts as a vasodilator, why is it "selective"? As in, why does it only "open" the veins in my left leg and not throughout my entire body?

I have to say, though, I'm beginning to feel like this issue is purely psychological. Over the last week or so, I've been smoking some really dank Sour Alien (approximately 24% THC), and I haven't really had too many problems. This was the same weed that made me have a panic attack and pass out the first time I smoked it. However, every time I got high the last few days, I have been able to keep my symptoms under control just through psychological conditioning and positive thinking. I haven't had a single panic attack worth mentioning since then. Now I barely feel the muscle tingling or headaches. Thanks to everyone who responded for all the advice. I didn't realize it was so simple to overcome (knock on wood). Hopefully it stays this way!

11. It does, it just isn't as noticeable, particularly when you're worried about your leg and/or head. You might have a vein deformity in your leg, for example (though nothing to be concerned about if you're not having actual pain). You know the warm, relaxed feeling you get when you're good and stoned? That's partially due to vasodilation. It's also why caffeine (a vasoconstrictor) can negate some of the physical effects of pot.

That said, if you think it's psychosomatic, it probably is. If I believed in god, I'd be perfectly willing to believe that drugs were created to troll us.

12. Weed and the high follow your mind.. not the other way around. Try and happy/favorite music, good movies, and by far most importantly try not to let your mind think about those side-effects.

13. From my experience certain strains give off different experiences that may not always be the most fun high. Taking a T break is great, but keep in mind it isn't very smart to jump right back into the same strain that you were used to smoking everyday because your body won't be prepared for that killer level of dankness you once achieved, so in short my best advice is to slow your roll and buy some slightly lower grade shit (for god's sake nothing off of a brick, that will give anyone a headache) and kind of ease back into your original routine. Hopefully all works out bro!

14. this is why you should not stop smoking for to long, if you did not have such a long T break and this happened you would be like oh well and forget about it but now your freaking out typing shit on here, just keep smoking!

15. Yeah dude, After taking my first tolerance break after having been a smoker for about 5 years now I have an affinity to panic attacks from smoking too much. It sucks because I used to be able to smoke to the point where you can't get any higher, but now if i share a whole joint with someone I start getting agitated, uncomfortable, and basically uneasy as fuck.

I also get weird body sensations sometimes like you describe, but now I know its just me being too high. I also get overly sensitive to cold to where I'll shiver uncontrollably.
    But with the curse also comes a blessing; I can conserve my stash for a very very long time.

16. #17 Storm Crow, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
    For Lenabu (Is that a word play on bulimia? :confused: )

You recommended site is full of it! :eek: To counter their claims-

For #1- Our brains adapt to cannabis.

http://forum.grasscity.com/seasoned-tokers/1099176-weed-lowers-iq-2.html#post15645116

#2, increased depression is quashed by

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005) Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

and Decreased depression in marijuana users. (full - 2006)
    http://www.doctordeluca.com/Library/WOD/WPS3-MedMj/DecreasedDepressionInMjUsers05.pdf

#3 Withdrawal from cannabis is no worse than quitting caffeine! :p

Merck Manual - Marijuana (Cannabis) (excerpt - 2008)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana (Cannabis): Drug Use and Dependence: Merck Manual Professional[/FONT]

#4 Increased aging, lung cancer, heart, etc?

Well sweetie, a lack of CB receptors increases aging, so it would seem likely that activating CB receptors would slow aging!

Early onset of aging-like changes is restricted to cognitive abilities and skin structure in Cnr1(-/-) mice. (abst – 2011) Early onset of aging-like changes is restric... [Neurobiol Aging. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

And cannabis causes lung cancer? That is laughable! :laughing:

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer.
    (abst - 2007)
    {Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer. -- Preet et al. 2007 (1): 4749 -- AACR Meeting Abstracts

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news – 2007)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows[/FONT]

Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries (news - 2005)
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20050406/marijuana-chemical-fights-hardened-arteries

THC protects heart cells in the case of lowered oxygen supply (news - 2006)
    http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/bulletin/ww_en_db_cannabis_artikel.php?id=212#1

5, 6, 7 & 8- Messes with hormones? This study disagrees!

Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men and women. (abst - 1991) Effects of chronic marijuana use on test... [Drug Alcohol Depend. 1991] - PubMed - NCBI

Watch "Super High Me!" - the dude's sperm count increased! And it works on mice, too! Fertility is restored by cannabis in male tobacco smokers!

Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol increase plasma testosterone concentrations in mice
    (abst - 1981)
    Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol increase plasma testosterone concentrations in mice

Marijuana Improves Fertility in Tobacco Smokers (news – 2006)
    Marijuana Improves Fertility in Tobacco Smokers - Softpedia

Nor does pot cause "man-boobs!

Gynecomastia and cannabis smoking: A nonassociation among US Army soldiers
    (abst - 1977) Gynecomastia and cannabis smoking. A nonassociatio... [Am J Surg. 1977] - PubMed - NCBI

#9 "When pregnant women use marijuana they are at risk of having unhealthy babies"! BULL SHIT!

Mortality Within the First 2 Years in Infants Exposed to Cocaine, Opiate, or Cannabinoid During Gestation (abst - 1997)
    Mortality Within the First 2 Years in Infants Exposed to Cocaine, Opiate, or Cannabinoid During Gestation

Pregnant Women Smoking Pot Could Reduce Infant Mortality (news - 2010)
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.opposingviews.com/i/pregnant-women-smoking-pot-could-reduce-infant-mortality[/FONT]

Maternal use of cannabis and pregnancy outcome. (abst – 2002) [FONT=&quot]Maternal use of cannabis and pregnancy outcome. [BJOG. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI[/FONT]

Maternal Marijuana use not Associated with Psychotic Symptoms , but Alcohol is. (news - 2009)
    Maternal Marijuana use not Associated with Psychotic Symptoms , but Alcohol is

The last one is partly right- we do get red eyes and dry mouth! But violent outbursts? (dig how they mention that TWICE in one sentence! :rolleyes: lol)

I strongly suggest that you stop parroting your old 5th grade DARE instructor and learn the FACTS! Try clicking that first link in my sig and educate yourself!

Granny

17. sounds like anxiety or circulatory problems, get checked out to make sure it's not the second 1

18. Look at your life and see if when these symptoms started something else changed. For instance i also get very twitchy legs when i'm high but this only happens if i stop exercising for a couple days. Many things can cause these symptoms i deff wouldn't blame it all on weed

19. Hey man I think it is a circulatory issue. I too notice now whenever I smoke (Even if it is a small amount. A pinch of kief) I get high (If I can control the psych and suck it up, due to my low tolerance from a t break) and then come down I notice this dull ache in my scalp on the left side of my head.

The ache lasts for days, the pain also moves. So I know it's not all "In my head" since I'm no longer high after a few hours and the pain lasts for awhile.

I noticed also I have a really bad vein that protrudes on the left side of my skull near my temple (Temporal Artery) if I smoke too much.

I also have a protruding vein in my right leg that usually happens when I stand up for awhile.

I think we need to strengthen our arteries. The cure (If this in fact is it) is to have more silica in our diet.

Butchers Broom, Rutin (Bioflavanoid) and Silica (Horsetail) apparently strengthens the veins. Along with vitamin c (Get the non asorbic acid kind)

I'll post back on here when I figure it all out.

I thought for awhile I had some infection under my scalp like lyme or something, or my liver is congested. But I do liver flushes (Which do remove the pain). The ER doctor said my liver could cause that kind of protruding vein. I think it's related to diet though, Not enough silica.

If I smoke and then quit for 3-5 days the pain is gone. The pain is much like a migraine or headache. I also feel it on my forehead about my sinus'.

The feeling under my scalp is almost like someone pulling my hair out, Or a bruise under the scalp.