Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

weird pain in left shoulder

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by tacomadness, Jun 24, 2009.

1. for the past year or so I've been experiencing sharp, almost electric, like pains in my left shoulder, the pain is usually just below the shoulder blade and last for a few seconds and seem to be random.

I went to the doctor about a few months ago, but he could not do anything for me as he couldn't seem to figure out what it was, so I've come here now.

The pain is pretty bad when it happens, usually stops me in my tracks and makes me grab my shoulder in reflex.

I haven't had any trauma to it in the past, that I can remember.

Anyone know what it could possibly be? Any help?

2. #2 tacomadness, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
    This started before I started smoking as well, and smoking marijuana seems to help out a bunch; so I don't think it's related to smoking at all.

3. Pinched nerve? Muscle damage? Something along those lines?

Indica dominant hybrids or even splits should help.

But seriously, medical attention would be a good idea.

4. I'm a Doctor, and I recommend x-rays. It's simple really. Have them review it and tell you whats up.

5. Could a pinched nerve stay pinched for that long?
    Also, I will schedule and appointment with my doc soon, and follow up on this thread with what it is when I find out.

6. No it's probably not a pinched nerve as it is not an area with much pressured movement. Typically they happen in areas related to movement and pressure (think lower back and spine, also knees). However, it's still interesting and I would suggest getting some x-rays done, they are better than MRIs for shoulders.

7. I had the same problem a little while ago underneath my right shoulder blade.

Are you left handed?

Does the pain cause that area to go numb? Just gently scratch your fingernails over the pain-affected area. If you can't feel the scratch, it's numb. You pinched a nerve. Improving your posture is something that needs to be done. Also, if you throw things, make sure you use proper throwing form. Otherwise, you'll be moving backwards in your recovery.

If it's just a random, sharp pain, I'd recommend going to see a doctor immediately.

8. No it doesn't cause the area to go numb, and yes I can feel the scratch; and I'm right handed.

9. Thanks for the advice, I'll have him do X-Rays and explain whatever it is that he sees.

10. Below your shoulder blade is really your back not shoulder. Is that what you were trying to say?

11. Well I have been noticing a stiffness/pain in my back, on the left side just above my hip but below my rib line, almost like a knot that has been there for a while.

12. sounds muscular. you probably have pressure point pain.

there are a variety of causes. and they are pretty common, the severity varies though. I would recommend seeing a physical therapist and getting deep tissue massages as well as doing the exercises that they give you every morning. If you do get the knots cleared, do something like swimming or biking to work everything out. Shoulder injuries could take up to a year or more to fully heal. don't give up!

13. muscle spasms?

theyre random,hurt like hell, and usually dont last long.

14. Are muscle spasms able to be determined by a doctor? What do they do to confirm it?

15. You most likley have a tender point or a trigger point from some myofascial restriction or strain most likely from chronic poor posture. Most back pain is from soft tissue injury and here is where I respectfully disagree w/ the Dr.; Xrays in most cases of back pain will not show a thing and are a waste of time. You are far better off to go to a PT and have them assess you. Your regular Dr. will give you a variety of tests to check for pinched nerves and perhaps a recommendation for ice or heat or muscle relaxors. Once they rule out a bulging or ruptured disk they will most likely send you to PT and that would be good.

16. It's his shoulder

17. duuuuuuuude! i have the same fucking thing. It's always so random when it comes too. I seriously stop what I'm doing and have to grab my shoulder because it hurts so bad. Doesn't happen alot, just periodically. It feels like being shocked or some shit..

18. Exactly, it's random, and insanely painful.

19. #19 SpongePaul, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2009
    Sounds like a trigger point myocytis. sound similiar to a shoulder pain i had. but my shoulders are fucked form hockey. it was a simple fix once there was a diagnosis ( it took 3-4 office visits x rays etc. The treatmen tif i rem right was injections to the trigger area (cortisone?) muscle relaxers and strong anti inflamtory for 4 weeks. since then 4-5 yrs ago i have not had a problem, it flares once in a blue moon now tha ti no longer play, and a few days 2-3 of indocine and muscle relaxer and it goes away. Get it checked out man, prolly nothing serious, but you dont want to be the guy with the story of i waited to long and now i will die guy.

btw my trigger points were on the left scapula and its accompanying musculature. the right shoulder is shredded, lol and needs a 12,000 repair, so medical MJ for a long time for me, lol.

20. I went to the doctor today, and he believes my shoulder has a severe sprain which happened a while back and never healed.
    Either that, or a bad tendon pull, or pinched nerve, he's having me see an orthopedic that specializes in shoulders. Might be receiving an MRI; will have a follow up on Tuesday.