Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by enjibenji, Mar 8, 2012.

1. I plan on losing weight (After 2 years of being a uni student, the fast food and alcohol are starting to show) I have joined the gym, sorted out a diet.

My question though is whether continuing smoking weed every day will affect this? I have read many different things on the internet - some say helps, some don't.

Any help is appreciated

2. Also want to note, I don't go munchies crazy when I smoke. If I do eat I usually eat healthy meals/fruit/nuts

3. #3 Pew, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
    I would read up on the starting strength workout since it sounds like you are new to the gym. I would push heavy 3x a week and fit in at least 2 days of solid running. This combined with a CLEAN diet will 100% guarantee a noticeable difference in a few months.

Just keep at it and don't be discouraged.

I would limit your smoking to only before bed for muscle relief and anti inflammatory benefits. If possible prepare a healthy low carb meal before or after you smoke so your not tempted to munch out. If your really serious I would say get rid of the majority of junk food you have because sometimes its damn hard and end of the day you can't eat what's not there.

4. Yeah I got my induction tomorrow, set out a plan. I will be going gym 3 times a week for hour and a half sessions, during that I plan on running and do some weight lifting. I also have exercises I do daily at home, different variations of sit ups etc, I also have a rowing machine.

5. I wouldn't be wasting any of my time at the gym running, you can do that on your off days or after your workouts. Once again I would really recommend a workout such as SS. If you read the thread on bodybuilding.com it has full tutorials for form which I cannot stress enough because it really is important

You want to be hitting your major muscle groups for maximum fat loss and muscle gain.

6. Cheers man, I'll look in to it. Just so I know what does SS stand for?

Also, will continuing smoking weed everyday affect all this?

7. I've been losing weight ever since i've been smoking. I only really have an appetite when i'm high, and even then, i eat apples and stuff.

Everybody is different though, just see how it affects you as you go. If you find yourself gobbling down potato chips by the bag when you smoke, i'd reccomend cutting down on smoking.

But, as you said you are healthy with your munchies, so it shouldn't be a problem. I think appetite is the only thing that would be an issue for smoking.

8. #8 Pew, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
    Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ - Bodybuilding.com Forums
    There's the starting strength thread.

The biggest keys to success are going to be your meals, workout intensity and a solid 8 hours sleep.

Advice for everything can be found on those forums. In brief you just want to cut out simple carbs and junk food. It's a common misconception that you need to starve yourself to lose weight, fit example cook up a nice chicken breast, egg, brown rice and some veges. Tasty meal that leaves you full so you won't snack and is highly nutritious.

As I said I would limit my smoking to once a day preferably at night and if possible invest in a vape.

peace

Just thought I would add in that you want to also don't want to binge on fruit thinking that it's healthy because although it is good sugars it's still sugar.

9. Yeah thats the way I see it, if I don't change my diet when im high how can it affect anything. I also prevent munchies by drinking green tea/water which also contributes to weight loss.

10. The only time I have problem with cravings is if I have to go to bed early, for some reason it makes me think I'm hungry which stops me from sleeping. If I do get up and have something small, it doesn't satisfy.

11. Cheers Pew for all your help buddy. Appreciate it

12. I find that when my smoking gets excessive such as if I pick up a beautiful ounce then I really do feel the impact on my fitness/motivation. As to snacking at night that's usually a sign that your final meal is the cause. Eat more meat/veges/complex carbs.

13. Veg and complex carbs is definately something I will change. At the moment I'm not eating carbs, and little veg.

14. Eating the right carbs is what's going to fill you up and give you energy. Pretty much it will keep you full and alert so your mind stays off snacks. Veges are a bitch and at the end of the day no one really likes them but I find if you just buy the frozen bags you can just stir fry up some with a meal or chuck them in the microwave.

Anyway I'm off glad I could help.

15. Learning to cook good healthy food is another great place to start.

Buying processed food - weather its 'healthy' or not ain't wonderful for your body.
    Am I saying go 100% organic? NO. But the amount of salt in most grocery store food is astronomical vs making something at home.

What I'm talking about is making good food delicious.
    I had serious trouble eating right let alone thinking about going to Broccoli or Asparagus from fries or chips. What I did was learned to make healthy food I enjoyed eating.
    - Seasoning and marinades vs deep frying/saute in butter
    - Roasting & Steaming vs boiling veges to death of their nutrients
    - Salad? Sure! Creamy Dressing vs Vinaigrette Dressing... Sans cheese & bacon. + Grilled Seasoned Chicken.
    - Simple and fast to make.
    - I make it a daily routine to buy veges fresh - only enough for a week at most.
    This way they don't go bad (waste $) or get boring - which is a big issue for me.
    Healthy food that still tastes good, simple to make, and fast + all your workout and you'll start to see progress in no time.

Another awesome thing if you like them... smoothies.
    NO Not from the food court. I'm talking about going out buying a ton of fruit - anything really. And freeze it! Yea - pull it out in the am - toss in blender his go and when ur Coffee is brewing you can consume a solid amount of fruit servers in 5-10min flat.

16. Weed is kinda of bad for working out, it decreases motivation which is a huge need if you wish to put on muscle. It also decreases oxygen and nutrient delivery which depletes your overall energy if your mid intense workout.

17. i lost 110 pounds in 7 months smoking weed EVERY single day and without working out. i was on a 1500 calorie diet and didn't cheat one day. you can't use weed as an excuse. good luck you will be hungry, but remember self control.

18. If you can stay motivated enough while medicating good on you but i never could. I try to avoid smoking when cutting BF i munch way to much and hate cardio. Weights are great while baked though weed is great for bulking:smoke:

19. Depending on your goals....proper advice would be diff.

First off, it is possible to lose weight / fat and gain muscle at the same time. BUT it is much trickier and harder AND SLOWER. For this reason I would advise to pick one or the other, then you can transition to the other.

You need a deficit of calories to lose weight and a surplus of calories and nutrition to gain muscle ( and to work out of course - ie tear the muscle so it will repair larger )

If you want to lose weight, burn more calories than you consume - eat healthy, cadrio.

Lose weight? Eat ONLY healthy, maybe 1 cheat day a week...but DO NOT have a cheat day til over a month in. Learn some discipline and stick to it, and you WILL see results.

Another good fact is to lose a pound of fat that is about 3500 calories.

Stay away from simple carbs that spike your blood sugar / insulin.

A golden weight loss diet I have DONE MYSELF and advised others with results is -

Breakfast - 1 orange
    Lunch - 3 egg whites with veggies and 1 cup of brown rice
    Supper - Chicken breast, veggies, brown rice

Alternative to protein - chicken, salmon, egg whites, tuna, hard boiled eggs

Alternatives to cabs - RYE BREAD, brown rice

Other - veggies and oranges!

For flavor - add chili powder, dill weed or other NON SALT flavors - stick to spices.

Sauces are VERY high in sugar, fat and CALORIES.

No Sauce, no juice ( except cristal lite ), no alch, no goodies, nada

Do not have coffee or tea with milk and sugar, or ESP cream. Find some "diet" pills, or caffeine pills when you need a boost- the orange for breakfast mimics this with natural sugar.

Do 20 min - 30 min of medium intensity cardio 2-4 times a week. To burn more calories and increase metabolism and the after burn effect.

If you follow this AND DO NOT CHEAT. You will lose weight, and very effectively.

You will crave carbs, you will crave flavor and goodies and so so much. You will feel tired....but your number on the scale will drop 2-3 lbs a week if you do it without cheating.

I also recommend a good multi vitamin, 3,000 to 5,000 bi of vid d, omega 3 pills in the morning.

20. I don't think smoking can directly affect your weight loss, why would it?
    Getting crazy high then eating everything in your kitchen is a different matter..

Try to work out sober tho, it helps you stay focused on your goal for as long as needed
    I must admit that running high is pretty fun tho