Week three of flower. To trim or not to trim?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NZ18/6, Sep 4, 2018.

1. They look awsome!
    You must be so proud.

2. Super proud man, just cant wait to dry then begin the cure process, still about 9 weeks to go before I can smoke anything

3. Should upload some pics gotta see yours

4. Will try tonight when their day starts.
    Thanks for the pics they look great.

Attached Files:

6. I disagree here. All plants should have their stems cut where they meet the main branch. Plants have healing hormones in these areas. If you cut the stem farther away from the main branch, that leaves the plant more vulnerable to disease and infection. This is true with all types of plants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Actually it’s recommended to snip about a cm from the main stem to allow the cut to heal away from the main stalk and prevent disease from getting into the plant. Common pruning guidelines for any plant

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Always wish I’d trimmed more

9. There is a valve about 3/4” from stem on large fan leaves, snip there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. #30 PorcupineTree, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    That's strange, because all of the classes I took in horticulture and all of the certification courses I took for landscaping, trees, and ornamental plants always taught to cut where the stem meets the stalk, specifically, because that is where plants have healing hormones.

pruning-techs.jpg

Never leave stubs. You are putting your plants at extra risk doing that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. You can ask for a consensus among members here and I think you’ll find that most from experience will agree with me bud. I didn’t learn from a book, so can’t comment there. If your space and scissors are clean, you will be fine either way.

12. That's a good point. When I'm trimming my trees I always go flush to the trunk. I have been using the stump method so far.

13. Again a good point. Ive been stumping so far and havnt had issues. Thank christ.

• Like Like x 1
  14. #34 PorcupineTree, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    I'm judging based on my own experience in addition to what I've learned from books. Of course you can leave stumps and have nothing happen, you are just increasing your risk of infection. Just because you have done it and haven't had any problems does not justify the conclusion that what the "books" say is invalid or not true. Also, you don't know anything about me, so it's impolite to imply or suggest that I have no experience with this and that I'm just going off of what I got from "books". It's best to learn from BOTH books and experience. Also, it's okay to be open to new ideas that contradict what you have been assuming was the case.

15. #35 Soil2Coco, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    I made no implification or meant no disrespect. Just stating the consensus among experienced growers I’ve come across here. It’s known to snip about 1/2” to 3/4” away from stem so the resulting cut heals there, eliminating any infection from entering the main stem. The little nub created then dies and eventually falls off leaving a healthy, disease free plant. This may be different with trees, but I have no experience growing them

16. Fans leaves are responsible for upward growth, not for bud development.

However your fan leaves will act as a buffer to any nutrient issues during flower. If you remove them all you remove that buffer, so defoliation must be done with care and with knowledge of your plant and soil. If you are going to do it then tuck where you can and remove little and often. As for bottom fan leaves, if they aint blocking a bid site do not remove them. The plant will eat up that leaf itself when it's ready.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bought a pack of trimming scissors, think hydrogen/water is enough to sanitize? Could be good right out the package i suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. Best sanitizer around your plants is iso propyl alcohol or ozonated water.

19. Just get a bottle of 90% ISO alcohol
    Walgreens Walmart 2$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  20. When switching to flowering stage, I’ve read that some go on 24 hours of darkness then begin the 12/12

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum