Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed Tea / Ganja Tea

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by furrywookie, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Hi all, I found a great way to make some excellent 'weed tea', see below:

First, I used exactly 1 gram for exactly two cups of tea. Second, instead of the microwave: I boiled three *cups of water (to account for evaporation), one *cup of half and half, two tablespoons of sugar, and one gram of MJ and brought to a boil. Then, I let cool, poured into tea cups. I topped the cups off with sprinkles of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Tastes ridiculously good. I can feel it too... however, I am a light weight... but for me, great stuff.

*cup = one tea cup. I didn't use a measuring cup for measurements...

Enjoy.

2. I think you forgot the butter.

3. Concidering THC is oil based, the THC would not bind to the water when you make it, thus keeping it in the weed. Also, when you add the water and half and half, all your doing is ruining your weed. Nice placibo effect.

4. Half and Half contains 12.5% butterfat (oil), which is also a chief component of butter... works just fine.

5. you dont need butter, as long as you have a source of a fuckload of fat. half and half is fine

6. #6 BadKittySmiles, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2011
    It's good to see that you have an interest in edible cannabis [​IMG]

Some older posts that may help you.....

But takes much longer than this to break down glandular material and promote bioavailability, in even a pure solvent or oil source. ... when diluted with so much water, it's severely reducing the efficiency of your solvent, and makes it more like the butter-water methods of the old days, which take around 15 - 24 hours depending on the heat level to become effective, and after this point the earliest, more volatile cannabinoids to become active and available have degraded.

This is why we go so far, as to use clarified butter, where the milk solids and water have been removed, rather than butter in it's more 'natural' state. To dilute it even further, is very counter productive. Keeping the material wrapped in a teabag, does not help when it comes to exposing the material to the oils, or distributing your potency, either. [​IMG]

Try using the search feature and reading around a bit, there's a TON of great info here!

This may help:

" Originally Posted by mjmama25
    I know people who have made stem tea and thought it was worth it. What was even more worth while was the resin that built up in the tea pot over time. They scraped it and said it was like hash. "

" This is because cannabis is not water soluble.. the best tea's, (cocoa) and 'bhang' (canna milk) are still made using a pure butter/oil source initially, and then that concentrated and infused oil, is incorporated into water, or reincorporated back into milk.

Trying to make tea or canna milk, starting with both water and milk fat is (similar to the old fashioned butter-water methods) very ineffective, and the effectiveness is reduced further, the higher the water content, and the more impure and contaminated the 'edible solvent' or oil.

When making watery oils, and especially when making watery tea, a large portion of tacky, sticky, remaining glandular material, will never have a chance to become bioavailable, even with continued processing, until long after it's degraded due to exposure to heat.

The more pure the oil source, or edible solvent, the less damage the material needs to endure, before bioavailabilty occurs. The more impure the solvent, the more glandular material will remain to become degraded or entirely left behind, without ever achieving bioavailability.

Hope this helps! [​IMG] " - BKS

Long story short, you will still want to make either an oil, or a tincture, and add this to your hot chocolate (tea, or coffee, or coffee creamer [​IMG] ). Check the stickies, loads of good info there. [​IMG]

7. As much as I respect BadKitty, I don't agree with her at all in this matter.. I've visited India and they litterally INVENTED "weed milk" (Bhang Lassi) and it's a tradition over there that goes back thousands of years. Alot of bhang recipes don't use clarified butter or any oil or anything but they make EXTREMELY potent drinks... most heavyweights can't handle their "Super strong" but maybe it's different because they're using hash?

I've worked with many people from India  (not to mention Israel, and China) studying both modern and ancient techniques, because medical cannabis is my profession and it was virtually the only reason I left the country, and most people there who work with cannabis and hash regularly and professionally, and even in the home, will store it for weeks at a time after being hand blended with very small quantities of ghee. It looks just like regular herb or hash, the flowers to appear a bit like 'regs' after processing, but nonetheless they appear like much of the herb you'd see on the black market here especially back in the 80's-90's. :)

That's why it 'appears' (and only appears) when they make drinks, in the stalls, that they aren't "doing anything" besides adding hash, to a milk or yogurt based beverage. :)

Even that aside, many stalls, stands and beverage bars also do use up to three and four grams of hash in many of the single-serving drinks they serve, simply because they grow fields of it so easily in the wild, it isn't highly enforced, and the people who frequent their stalls will have the tolerance for it. Shops that cut a few corners when it comes to the length of time they age their herb and ghee blends, can, and often do compensate with additional product. This is reminiscent of many less than adequate canna recipes that our own culture continues to use, in that they too can and do still compensate for lack in bioavailability and potency, by quadrupling or more the needed dose or content per serving. :)

Hope this clears up your confusion! :wave:

9. I totally hear ya but that's not what I'm saying at all. I understand businesses for bhang lassi probaly do that but I'm speaking from visiting peoples homes where they made bhang lassi on the stove. I guess everyone has their own methods.. Badkitty, can you please make a perfected weed milk recipe or can you try and tell us if this one works? I mean i understand you recommend to everyone to just make a raw base first like cannabutter or oil or tincture but not everyone has the time and effort and patience for that. I mean I can't count on my hands the number of times I wasted weed trying to make some butter or edibles... sometimes even when using a slow cooker/crock pot.

The only time tht worked superb for me was when I litterally fried onion rings in loads of butter with weed in there.. not worrying about the time or temp too much but making it low so it doesnt burn /scorch and they came out amazing.. a bit darker than usual but got me so twisted that i was high the next day at school too (this was many many years ago)

10. #10 BadKittySmiles, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013

That's just why it is important to pick a reliable method, and stick with it, so you can have reliable results rather than putting raw herb directly into any recipe with variable heat and cooking time. :)

If you want or need to cut corners and speed things up, a pure edible solvent is still logically going to be more efficient, because it will make much more progress in any given amount of time, especially a brief period, than the same solvent diluted in so much water. This is why I stress that regardless whether you're in a rush or not, you'll want to start with pure butter or pure oil... in fact, if you're in a rush, that only makes it all the more important that you DO use a pure solvent!

There isn't an easy way to make 'instant oil', one way or the other there is a minimum amount of time involved if you want a specific effect

Heat and time are even used by caregivers and patients, because when manipulated they control the experience provided by the edible.

This is why some people prefer to process only long enough to activate currently existing cannabinoids and produce bioavailability*, for a cerebral, function and sometimes mid-racy 'high'. And it's why others require a longer process, for a more sedative, narcotic, couch-lock 'stone' due to the additional formation of the THC metabolite, CBN.

(*Which at temperatures between 200 F - 240 F, the average oven and double boiler flux, will take between 3 and 4 hours depending on the age of the material, between decarbing and heating in oil, if you want complete activation and the MOST complete absorption, rather than partial absorption and inactive cannabinoids. For all intents and purposes, as far as absorption goes, by under processing you're taking the cannabinoid content of your bud, and you're halving it, over and over again, the more corners you cut!)

This is why, if you can afford to waste multiple doses per one single, functional serving, then you can just compensate for things like, starting with an inferior solvent, or not processing long enough to promote the bioavailability of all cannabinoids, by doing just that: using more material, to make up for the cannabinoids that your body simply can't absorb, and those cannabinoids that (where the rate of delivery plays a huge roll in the strength, and even length of the effect) that take substantially longer to digest and that absorb so so much lower down, and more gradually, in the intestinal tract!
     Aside from all the potency you pass 'in one end and out the other' without absorption at all, once the remaining and last cannabinoids in the lower tract finally do absorb, you're already coming down from the primary high meaning that, particularly if you're a recreational user, these won't be very beneficial to the overall, or even the length of the experience... a bit like having a strong edible, then taking one only barely a fraction of the strength, several hours later, it's something of a waste compared to absorbing the full load all at once, or putting those cannabinoids towards a separate and later session.

But if you can afford to do so, you can really take your pick of any quickie method you'd like and that works for you, your kitchen and your time-frame...

Again, just remember to consider whether choosing such a method is affordable for you, or whether you should just smoke or vape to get the effects you need from your herb.

Properly made oils and edibles are certainly much more efficient than smoking! But those methods that requiring doubling, and quadrupling the herb or more, to get the same, or a lesser effect? Not so much! So if you have days that you need to go without any herb, when you wish you didn't, then smoking may be the more efficient route for you to stretch your stash! :)

Unfortunately I can't really point you towards a particularly 'good' or reliable quickie method for milk or tea, but most will provide some sort of effect, if you use enough herb... that's all I feel comfortable saying, I haven't had successful experiences with many quickie methods over the years, so I feel I should stop short of giving you advice or recommending a recipe that could potentially hurt your outcome.

It's for the same reason that those methods simple don't work for medical patients or rec users who have regular access to well made edibles, almost regardless how much cannabis is used per dose.

Those methods also don't work very well or really at all, for me, because I've had regular access to proper oil for so many years.

So I really can't really feel comfortable vouching for any quickie recipes; this is because they are very variable for someone with a lower tolerance or less edible exposure, one quickie recipe may work very well for a person, and another recipe may not work at all for that same person.... but to someone who takes good oil all the time, both recipes may as well be the same! :p So it's really something best left up to the end user. :)

Now that's just processing for efficient absorption, dose to dose. :) 

Here is an even BETTER reason to start with pure oil or butter, which creates a base that you can set aside for months in a pantry, or even years in the freezer at virtually the same potency......

It saves you literally DAYS in the longer run even if you only eat edibles just a handful of times year, because once you decide to put in the time during just one day, to produce an oil or butter that works exactly how you want it to, you have the confidence to use more material all at once, and it keeps longer, and you can make multiple doses all at once rather than perishable milk!

I know you're probably thinking, "that sounds good and all, but I'm not really compelled just yet..." and that's because I've only scratched the surface! Here's the math....

For instance:

To make thirty doses properly, and all at once, it takes the exact same time and effort as it does to make one dose properly. Same glandular material, same heat exposure, same time, same process.

It's still a few hours of waiting, and only about ten or fifteen minutes of effort on the makers part, whether you're making one, or one hundred doses. Until you make so much that you can't create even layers in your home oven, it's the same process; it's why we pre-heat our oil to ensure the herb has the same exposure, where a larger volume would take longer to reach temperature than a single serving.

Now, if you were to continue making those thirty doses individually... For each dose, the maker now needs to repeat that process, over and over.

That's over one hundred hours of waiting and 7.5 hours of effort, and all for the same number of doses and the amount of edible oil!

"But what if I were to use a quickie method to save time, each dose? Surely that could compete to a properly made batch of oil!"

Even if you were using a corner-cutting method, which we seem both to have come to the understanding, produces variable results, and requires using more herb than necessary.... let's say it takes you a half hour to put it all together each time in order to get SOME kind of effect, minding the stove almost the entire time because you're simmering milk in order to maintain a minimum adequate temperature...

That's still 15 hours of time AND effort on your part, to make the same number of servings, that may or may not even work, compared to spending 15 minutes of effort and only two or so additional hours or heating, to make them all at once, and properly, between simply putting the ground herb in the oven and straining the oil when it's done! And unlike a canna milk which, can be frozen, but has serious storage limitations.. this will last you months, or even years, if you make it all at once with the confidence of knowing you're using a method that will produce reliable results! :yay: :hello: :smoke: :bongin:

And that's only the difference between 30 doses made all at once, or individually....

Now, just imagine if you'd like to take edibles more than thirty times a year, or if you want to substitute a daily smoking habit for a daily edible habit; if that were the case, making a fresh batch every day is a sure-fire way to, ultimately, take years of productive time out of your life! :p

And adding a dose of premade canna butter to fresh milk takes less than 5 minutes, just heat and whisk... and it only takes seconds if you have a blender! Couldn't be easier! But I do plan on making a brief video tutorial here in the next few weeks. :cool:

Plus, sometimes you may want milk, and sometimes you may not want milk... now, you have options, because you still have oil or butter!

So if you add it to a food, that you were already going to be eating anyway just to feed and sustain yourself, or especially when added to a restaurant dish, that's 0 extra time and effort needed in order to medicate! :yay:

And now you have your full month (or your full years) base supply, all ready to go! :yay:

11. #11 Mot1ve, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks ALOT Badkitty! You're always so very informative. I know deep down inside i'm probably only not just doing the big batches because of fear of it not working because I'm so used to edible failure... Like i'd hate to buy and use a half ounze or more and somehow mess it up..

But maybe one of these day's I'll just try it... Only thing is weed isn't legal in my state and im the only one who smokes in my household..

I wish I could just hire you for a day to come make me edibles :p that would be awesome