Weed makes me become a total mute and I'm awkward..

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Kushkandi, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Looks like some other people nailed it right on the head: Your so called 'friends' seem to be assholes and are being judgmental towards you.

But I guess just try to make new friends.
    Try to find things in common with people like music, sports, movies, or something else.

I think it helps to have some common ground with people when smoking with them. I mean I smoke with like 2 or 3 people who have the same interests as me.

Not all stoners get all along but im from Cali so that kinda helps.

2. i get the same way like i smoked with this girl that i really like and i think she liked me but i then she didnt cause i can hold a convoration when im stoned dont no why.

3. This is one of the biggest reasons I rarely smoke anymore and if I do it's at night right before bed so I can just zone out or with a couple good buddies who know they're going to have to keep the conversation going. I'm usually a pretty social dude but I'll go from life of the party sober to totally silent after a joint. Even if I'm completely comfortable with everyone I'm with I'll still go really quiet after we smoke.

The only advice I can give is stop smoking as much. Getting high isn't worth losing friends.

4. OP I feel you and know where you're coming cause I'm the same way, when I smoke some really good Indica with friends I would just zone out and get lost into my own little world but my friends don't judge me cause I do engage in the conversation and say some funny shit or listening cause I observe a lot of when I'm high.

Last Saturday, when I was baked off my ass just chillin this hot ass high school girl asked "why he's so quiet" not in a bitchy way but curious and I told her I was really high she seemed chill by it though; the people who you hang out with OP don't sound like true friends but a bunch of bitch ass *****s saying "you're awkward" and kicking you out cause you're "chill" da fuck I would never do that, find better people to chill and vibe with they will enjoy your company.

5. Maybe you're an introvert, OP.

You don't have to enjoy being a social butterfly in order to be normal.

6. Usually Depends onthe strain, and how I smoke it. But I can be either talkative, or quiet. Usually when I have strong Indica I am more quiet and such. Maybe it is the weed you are getting? Just a thought.

7. I was exactly like you OP, I would get all quite and socially awkward when I was high. Before I stop smoking weed, I would be saying the same thing everyone else been saying "you should hang out with different people". But saying that is just the same as saying "it's everyone else not you" and that doesn't make sense to me. If the problem is that you are only awkward when your high, then to stop being awkward, you have to stop getting high. But on top of quitting cannabis usage, to become more sociable and less awkward, you should also exercise daily and eat a healthy diet. The exercise will release endorphins that make you feel good and the healthy diet give you nutrients that are essential for healthy body function and reduce stress. It worked wonderfully for me and many others, I can't see why it would not work for you.

Get High On Exercise (page 1)

Exercise helps fight anxiety, depression - USATODAY.com

Diet and Exercise Help Fight Anxiety

"While most people associate anxiety with an emotional response to stress, a major factor in stress and anxiety is the physical response to external stimulus. The stress response in the brain sends signals to the body to prepare us to handle a perceived danger or threat, and this induces a physical state of tension that can add to the emotional reaction to problem situations. As the body stores tension over time, a state of chronic anxiety can occur. Proper diet and regular exercise can help alleviate the physical tension associated with stress and help lower anxiety levels."

Even if you do not want to stop smoking weed, you should still exercise daily and eat a healthy diet consisting of whole grains, nuts, legumes, fruits, vegetables and fish.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Im like this, high or not. Moreso when high. I'm just more of a listener than a talker.

9. I agree with this, exercise is an awesome confidence and health boost, but you should NOT stop smoking weed (unless you personally think its best to do so).
    I say this because I used to be like this (not as bad as you but still) and I got over it! You are gonna have to get over it eventually and good news is that you will! I can't tell you how I did it and I still have it, the only difference is that now I can control it. So stay strong and hang in there. :)

10. I'm sometimes the same way.It's crazy how my mood changes on an everyday basis.I have some friends that say "He's VERY quiet!".And when I get high or drunk I'll socialize more or other people will say I'm the life of the party.I really don't know what it is with me.Either way I'm very popular.Nobody really sees it as weird or at least have never said it to me before.In the end I really don't care. If you don't like me then by all means use your imagination and pretend that I'm not in the sesh at all.

When I was younger though I was extremely bashful and shy.When I entered Jr. High and High School I was always three grades under my older brother and he was mucho popular and he always brought me along with him and his friends so I hardly ever hung out with people my age outside of school.Hanging with that crowd kinda made me feel nervous at first because they were much more mature but I was also the first of my schoolmates to smoke (with upperclassmen none the less). That boosted my reputation with kids my age, I earned respect from the older guys and girls, and it also paved my way to the social ladder for high school.

Smoking with the older students taught me two important lessons.
    1. yes it may seem awkward being the quiet one but it's who you are. if you feel you may want to avoid it being a problem (which it isn't but I digress) keep a mp3 player or something with you and pop some earbuds in.Then you have a reason to be quiet.If you still want to keep up with the convo just leave one earphone out.

2. Yoooooo.I could get mad play with girls for being the only guy that wasnt acting an ass or talking on some dumb shit.Before that I never knew that some girls find it mysterious.Can't begin to tell you the stories of that happening.

Either way I hope things get better for you.You seem like a sweet genuine person so don't let this little thing put you off of good friends and good bud.
    Much love!

11. #31 Dankdogg, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011
    i will be your friend because i sound sort of like you when im high :wave:

We need nobody but us.. lets grow 5 lbs of weed and live out the rest of eternity on a raft in the middle of the ocean only surviving off a single sunflower plant..

PLEASE DO IT PLEASE PLEASE PELEEEEEEEEAAAAASE.

12. I used to be a huge pot head, smoked everyday multiple times a day, so I was high most of the time. I used to be completely normal and chill even the times I may have been a little to high I could act completely normal I was know as one or the more experienced smokes in our group and also one of the biggest pot heads out of all of us.... I took a long tolerance while being in the hospital and since I've started smoking again I now get really quiet and will just sit there and think, but if someone is talking to me directly ill talk or ill include in conversations but if no ones says anything to me ill just be sitting there quiet and awkward but I like sitting there, listening to music and just letting my mind float... My friends don't really say anything about it other than my really good friend who might as well be considered my brother and he just asked if I was okay medical wise (I'm chronically sick and just recently got home after my last stay) and I was like wtf? Why wouldn't I be? And he said I was just quiet and kinda just staring off into space. I told him I was really baked and enjoying the high and him and my other friend just laughed... I've never had anyone say anything rude about it or stop being my friend cause of that.

13. Fuckin necromancy over here and shit, ressurrecting a 4 year old thread.

14. I talk a lot on a sativa, I get the same way on an indica.
    I prefer sativas going out, and indicas for alone time

15. Its weird when your stoned, and somebody else isnt down down with it, or just isnt stoned. And i never peer pressure them to smoke or anythint but i just feel like when you are stoned you just, sit on a different level that takes another high person to understand. Nobody wants to be "that guy" who is a weird kind of stoned. I also observe a lot more, kinda just sit back and check stuff out.

Just a fellow traveller...

16. I usually don't blaze before I go out to socialize, because then, I probably wouldn't be able to ;) 

17. #37 Puff Da Herb, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
    I like to blaze when I'm alone or chillin with homies playin video games. 

I like to blaze before I play hockey too. And sometimes before the gym. 

But never really when I'm going to a party, bar, or club. 

18. Hi Everyone! This is KUSHKANDI, I am the original writer of this thread. I wrote this a long time ago, and stumbled acrossed it while looking into select mutism. I was hoping I'd find someone with a similar issue, but all I did was find all the crap I wrote 4-5 years ago. Haha.. I tried logging into my account (with the correct password), however, it says my password is incorrect. So I simply created a new account. I am 31 years old now (turn 32 in a few months).

I wanted to give you an update in this whole debacle, I am still a stoner but as of two days ago, I'm going on a hiatus. Could be a few weeks, could be a few months. This is entirely temporary, I just want to see if there's a difference in my personality or the way I think, when I don't smoke weed for long periods. I used to be high 24-7, and I honestly wish I was where I was when I originally wrote this thread, because I'm a lot worse than I was back in 2011.

::::::::::::::UPDATE:::::::::::::

It's 2016 and I'm an agoraphobic. I can't even hold a job outside of my house, and I'm really surprised none of you would lose friends if you seem quiet. I'm 31 years old and I only had one real friend in my entire life (who is actually my fiance, I've been with for the past 10 years). He's the only person I don't become a mute around, when I smoke weed. Now, I'm a mute even if I don't smoke weed. I can communicate when I'm sober (something I can't do when I smoke weed), but I'm not able to communicate for longer than 5 minutes. If I'm high, I can't communicate at all. Especially with women, I can't even get a word out. I get bullied from people I know, even when my fiance first met me, he had over 20 people try to convince him to not have anything to do with me, because they say I'm "awkward or dumb". Or I'm devious and not trustworthy because I can't hold a conversation. My friendships last between 3 weeks to 3 months. Aside from my fiance (who thinks I'm the nicest, funniest, and one of the most interesting people he's ever met), my longest friendship was about 4 months. I don't care about cell phones, like the rest of the world, because the only numbers I have in there (other than business'), is my mom's and my fiance's. Aside from them, nobody has called me in over 3 years. I don't get on facebook cause it bums me out. It's full of people who I know hate me, but if I deleted all of them, and tried meeting new people, I'd have such a low number of friends that people would think it's a fake profile. I'm actually an easy target because of my mutism, that I'll often get random letters in the mail or through facebook, from people who create fake accounts, just to threaten me. However, when I'm with my fiance, who is the only person who has ever given me a chance, I am not awkward, I speak very intelligently about quantum mechanics and whatnot, lol. I speak freely/fluidly and have no trouble holding a conversation. But outside of him, I can't find one decent person. I can't make a friend, I can't hold a conversation, every roommate I ever had would kick me out because I make their living situation "uncomfortable". I haven't had a steady job outside of my house since 2007. Every job I've had since then, I get fired within the first month, even though I'm a good worker and fast learner, but when around co-workers, I make other co-workers uncomfortable (even though I'm sober when I go to work). I do have a good job I've been doing since 2012; I run my own business and don't have to deal with anyone. Plus I wrote a book and I make really good money, but since I'm used to being at my house all the time now, I can't leave.

I stopped smoking weed because if I smoke before work (which in my job, I can do), I'll decide to not work and I'll lose hundreds of dollars a day (by choice), because I feel like I'm turning into mush. So although I make a lot of money, I don't have any-- because I choose to not work, quite often. When I don't smoke weed, I want to work. So I'm going on this hiatus just so I can get my shit figured out, and figure out who/what I'm turning into. Unfortunately, I've gotten to the point where I lost all hope in humanity, I do not like people, and I don't want friends, because....well, FUCK friends! I don't want to think like this, because there used to be a time when I hated being home and I had to be with people constantly. If I stayed home during the weekend, I'm doing something wrong. I used to go to raves every weekend. I don't know if I'm just getting older, and turning into a homebody, or, if I have intense social anxiety and won't leave my house.

Any potential friends I meet, who don't even know me yet, obviously won't wanna know me because if I make plans with new people, I'll be excited about it, then once it comes close to hanging out, I freak out, have a panic attack and ditch out on plans. That's what's happened with the last few people I met, but I haven't met a new person since 2012. This seems to be something I deal with more in the mid-west, where I currently live aka Michigan. Too much sexism and women won't even be at the same house as another woman, where I live. It's retarded! When I lived in California, I actually made more friends in one weekend there, than I did my entire life, in Michigan. California is "home" to me, but I can't get my fiance to want to move back there, because he thinks its too expensive and too loud and full of elitism, even though I can afford it and think people are nicer there, than anywhere I ever been. So we plan to move to Portland, OR in a couple years, because he really hates how I struggle to make friends, he's seen it first hand, and he's never met someone, let alone, a female, have sooooo much trouble making friends. Even if I actually try to make friends, because it always go wrong. So for the past two years, especially, I can't even leave my house. I moved to a new house and other than my mother and his parents, not one person has been to the house, and we've lived here for 2 1/2 years now. He has friends, but they don't want to hang out with him, if I'm around, because I make them feel uncomfortable too. So he kinda chose me over them (First person to ever do that). But since he's not a homebody and craves friendships, I just tell him to go out and I'll stay home.

Even when I'm actually feeling sociable, which is very rare. Even when I'm thinking I'm talking 50% more than I normally do, I'll laugh and obviously be having a good time (which also hasn't happened in a few years), and people will still be uncomfortable around me and say I look really bored or like I'm about to cry, and then it'll flip me out and I'll have to excuse myself to my room, because it'll be the rare occasion that I'm actually feeling sociable, and I'm very content with my surroundings. Then suddenly someone actually tells me I'm being too quiet and it weirds them out. It'll be the extremely rare occasion where I'm actually not being quiet, then suddenly that content feeling goes away, in the span of a second. Nobody has ever once told me I'm "being too quiet" when I lived in California, even if I was being too quiet. I really wish there was something I could do, because I feel extremely neglected and I hate being at my house all the time, but its the only place I feel safe. Even strangers will yell out "whore" out there window, or throw a big gulp at me when I'm walking my dog. I won't even know these people. As for new people I try meeting, I can't even get a phone number to save my life. If my car needs a jump, and I'm in a populated parking lot and I have jumping cables, I'll spend hours asking for a jump and no one will do it, till I finally decide to call my mom or fiance to drive over to me and help me. However, if I'm with my fiance, someone will immediately come over (always someone with a truck, haha) and give us a jump start. lol.

I'm starting to think I have a curse against me, even a psychic told me "I have a shadow with me, from committing suicide in a past life. So I'll never make a friend until I do this banishing spell that costs $90 per candle and I need 9 candles" Total scam, I didn't do it, obviously, but she knew nothing about me and she was right about the friend thing. Although I pretended like I had a buttload of friends, I even walked into her shop chit chatting with my fiance on the phone, before I saw her. So htf did she know that??" Only reason I went there, was it was part of a college experiment.

Anyway, here's my super long update, I don't even know if it'll be read. I just wanted to rant, and I prefer to go public with my experiences rather than writing in a journal. So this is journal entry #3655 and I think I finally gave up!

19. ^^^
    Way too fuckin' long to read.

Short and sweet reply....

Some people are just meant to be loner stoners. Nothing wrong with that. If you must be around people don't get stoned just get lifted

20. I get the same problem. My friends are cool though but when they call me out on why I'm so quiet it makes things worse and I get even quieter. I used to really enjoy weed and it made me laugh a lot when I was young but now that I'm older (29) it just makes me very insecure. How do I fix this ?