Weed is now 3+X stronger than the mid 1990's

Discussion in 'General' started by weedforum123, Aug 9, 2018.

1. This is something I had on my mind because weed is becoming legal in US states.
    Thinking about how people who used to smoke in the 90s or earlier might try weed again after a long time and get too stonned. lol They'd learn quick though.
    Or the stereotype that 'to get high, a person smokes their own joint' (and 1 joint probably isn't considered a lot like smoking a whole blunt. It's kind of like newbs or non smokers think smoking a solo joint is like drinking just 3 beers for a buzz.

These charts (assuming they're correct which they probably are) show what I was thinking is that weed is at least 3x stronger now. Probably 4-5X stronger on average.

And the charts end at 2008 for some reason it's probably much higher than just 11% THC.
    Average THC % 1997 was about 5%.
    A lot of dispensary strains nowadays are like 25%, so 5X stronger.
    Some go as high as low-mid 30s % THC. So one joint would be like smoking 7 joints, or one bong hit would be like 7 hits.

I think it's a good thing there's less smoke, less tar when you smoke less (or just vape it). But I used to be a joint guy, sometimes I'd smoke a joint by myself or split a fat blunt between one or two other people or sometimes even a whole blunt solo but that was mid-late 90s weed. I liked the taste of hydro joints the best but it was probably only %8 THC.
    I'd have to either roll pinner joints now or mix tobacco in unless I want to just use a pipe or vaporizer for a few puffs. Or put the joint out 1/3 through.
    I dunno, I guess I'm a bit of a lightweight even though I used to smoke quite a bit and multiple times a day but just not too much at once. There's also the tolerance build up, hence why these pot head rappers and stuff nowadays smoke blunt after blunt like they're not even getting high. I haven't smoked in so long probably one hit of %20 THC would get me good.
    There's also more to weed than just THC and CBD, growers can focus on trying to get even higher % than 35 THC but some are focusing on other aspects.

There are also low-THC modern strains which probably taste amazing and are 5-10% (or even much lower if you can even find these though, or strains low in THC and high in CBD).

I dunno I was just thinking this and then found these charts confirm it:
    marijuana thc levels chart - Google Search

Anorak | Smurfing: how the US war on drugs makes criminals of tourists

And check out this hightimes magazine from 1977. lol some of these comments are funny. Those buds may be untrimmed hence how they look and might have crystals and smell good and all but I highly doubt the THC levels were anywhere near what some people in the comments are claiming those strains can compete with modern ones.
    High Time's Top 40 Buds of 1977 - I Love Weed

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Not really a true comparison. Usually the "average" was because of all the brick weed confiscated.
    Here is one example of a very trippy, sneaks up on you sativa strain, note the THC levels.

Oaxacan Highland has become legendary in the days since its introduction. Its THC content has been measured at between 15% and 23%.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bs.

I had some very good bud in the mid to late 90s, shit I still haven't seen at dispensaries.

There was nearly no way to contain the smell and breaking up buds with your hands was impossible.

Dispensary bud barely smells potent.

I switched to extracts for this reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. If I could find that strain of skunk from the 90s I don't think I would grow any other strain. In fact, I'm thinking of going back to just growing skunk strains in hope of finding a similar variant.

• Like Like x 1
  5. For some reason my mother believes that pot is weaker than when she was a teenager in the 70-80s. She grew up with Maui Wowie shipped from Hawaii so maybe she isn't wrong?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. We were smoking it in 76-77.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Back in middle America where i was in the 70's we only had access to a couple of types... we called them "good shit" and "bad shit"... but the best shit was Afghanistan Hash... i do wonder how much stronger een mid 90's was than 70's... "lids" went for $10 or $15 bucks have no idea what they weighed but a nice roll in a baggie including some stems... we roughed it in those days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. After 911 the borders tightened up and forced Americans to grow their own. At least that’s how it happened to me and many others. The potency sky rocketed in the years following. And thanks in large part to the internet and info spreading along with seed banks becoming more common.

• Like Like x 1
  9. A real OG stoner here. I was born in the 90s :laughing:

My dad told me this is bullshit because, he could get really dank hash in Texas and, imported the strain Mango from Oregon and, California and, brick weed from mexico depending on his budget.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Is this news to u. I still buy weak weed I don’t have the tolerance for high thc weed

• Like Like x 1
  11. I don't get any higher now than I did back in the day. I don't think it matters what the THC level is, our bodies adjust and the high stays the same.

12. I still grow many land races

the toke and hit is the same now as back when

its all bullshit

trying to compare GSC to Williams Wonder

compare OG, or GG to Red Point is total bull

great for selling to teens tho

What has changed is the way the THC is measured..in fact the 'method' alters Annually

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. i could say the same as far as memory goes back to the 70's which is faulty at best.. what i did notice having not used on a regular basis for decades was the edibles effect.... actually there was a time in 1983 a buddy who had grown some skunk weed in his back yard baked some brownies... this was the 1st time i had partaken of baked pot and ate one or 2 as if they were regular... maybe i was waiting on the smoked joint effect but.... turned out i got so wasted i couldn't drive... my date who didn't partake drove us to a restaurant for dinner several freeway miles away... sitting there i felt like a big billowy hand was pushing my head down in the booth we were sitting in....

Also if i take edibles daily for awhile even a small amount it accumulates to the point i see tracers of movement and awareness is way too sharp to be comfortable... every speck on a mirror or wall stands out like an insect about to move.... so i have to dry out... haven't really taken edibles in a couple of years but did enjoy the psychedelic type visuals with eyes closed if taken at bedtime... a light show in the mind and extremely pleasant bodily sensations...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. I think in America 2018 slavery is still as effective as 1818. Weed is probably the same potent too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. What the hell does that even mean??

Stupid.

J

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. I call BS.

Yes we had some crappy weed but we also had some of the very best back in the day.

If youv never tried a true Sativa then watch out.

Not going to get into a whole big thing here but theres too damn many strains these days. Everything had been cross bred to Hell & back.

J

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. all crap,weed is weed until you put all the poison from the bottle in that goes right to the lungs hahah,stronger shit,try some true vietnam black right from vietnam then say this haahah,why it is asumed to be more potent these days cause your all young and wasnt there lmao,i dont need any numbers behind a strain to tell me it more potent,hell if that was so,no one would grow but one strain of the peers review of folks talking,potentcy can be manipulated by harvest of trichs and what you like.i like cloudy for days and amber for evenings,something else to put in play here is closet growing wasnt even hardly thought about,so most folk had to go to dealers ,dealers sell dont give a shit about quality just like the dispensary,gardeners take pride in there work and outcome,there the rest of the story

• Like Like x 1
  18. Laws governing "subjects" in America haven't changed in 200 years over economic disparity (slavery/poverty). If life was fair and laws were just, cannabis would never be used as a tool to keep people down. But Jim still crows reefer madness.

As far as potency goes, people can make propaganda erase your historical knowledge, but weed is far more genetically perfect than human beings. Hence potency today is what youth believes to be unnatainable even 40 years ago due to sheer ignorance.

19. All I know is that weed 10 years ago was much stronger (to me) than now or maybe it was better or different. I just liked it more.

20. end game you get high and or pain relife,i like um both hahaha

Grasscity Deals Near You