Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed is a gateway drug

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by imadamnlegend, Jan 2, 2011.

1. I know that everyone on here is gonna contest this and to a certain extent i agree. However, i'm sure at least 50 percent of you have taken other drugs, predominantly psychedics.

Weed makes you want to experience more. Its not that we get bored of weed, its just that we want to explore our bodies, our spirits and our minds further, and to do this we can often need another psychedellic.

The reason i think a lot of pot smokers try these other drugs and non-pot smokers don't, is because we discover something inside that we want to explore, something that weed virgins will never experience.

I also think that those willing to try marijuana are generally more open to drugs, and its not weed that directly guides us towards drugs. People that are open to use cannabis are most likely going to be open to try other drugs, whilst assessing the risks and rewards of thse drugs.

:smoke:

2. people like to blame objects or other people outside of themselves for their problems or bad decisions. The whole 'gateway drug theory' is a joke to people like me who have common sense. So ill just lol and watch everyone argue about it.:wave:

3. not very true before i smoked some weed i have never thought of even drinking and i still dont think about drinking or doing anything else i have been offered acid and shit and i fell no need to use anything else its a personal thing some ppl may have an addictive personality and want tho chase a high

4. i respect your opinion (and even find some agreement with mine), but i also disagree. see, i think that humans in general always have wanted (and will want) a way to change their state of conciousness. whether its alcohol and plants (which both have deep roots in human history) or synthetic drugs (which has began to make just as large, if not, a larger impact) , humans do it, and i think it goes much deeper than cannabis.

5. Yep 100% agree. I just think that people that smoke weed are way more likely to use other drugs than a person that oesn't, simply because they are more open about shifts in consciousness.

6. I smoke weed everyday and I've never wanted to try any other drug EVEN when pressured to do so.

7. same here i have been asked to do hard drugs and shit and i just say no all you have to do is just say no lol like i said its about your personality and how you get addictied to things

8. So the correlation of bud smokers moving on to experience other molecules stems its causation from the bud itself? I see...

No I actually think your wrong though, individuals will do what they please

9. The reason people call weed a 'gateway drug' is because one does not go from a weed virgin, someone who hasn't used any substances and has never been not-sober to using coke, ecstasy, or LSD. Some do, but a very very small percentage of people. A new user of drugs, be it whatever, starts out on the most mild substance that is the easiest to obtain; weed.

But the whole idea of using this shit as a scare tactic is nonsensical and ridiculous though. It's like saying, "don't smoke weed, or else you'll wanna try meth and heroin." People who listen to propaganda don't care what the truth is, all they know are, "drugs are bad, don't do drugs, mmkay??" So they will continue to quote and re-quote the same bullshit science propaganda til the cows come home.

10. marijuana, a schedule 1 substance, is apparently a gateway drug to things like amphetamines and cocaine, which are schedule 2 substances.

so... this means that marijuana, at least according to the federal government, is more dangerous than cocaine and those other substances.

So it is apparently a gateway drug to less-dangerous substances, at least according to the federal government.

I thought that that was an interesting idea haha.

on another note, i don't really buy the gateway drug theory. I'm not particularly motivated to go out and do harder drugs as a result of my marijuana usage.

11. this statistic is similar to saying that going to the movies leads to buying popcorn and a pop. Just because people who go to the movies without boundaries and indulge in treats does not directly relate going to the movies with buying popcorn.

12. marijuana, a schedule 1 substance, is apparently a gateway drug to things like amphetamines and cocaine, which are schedule 2 substances.

so... this means that marijuana, at least according to the federal government, is more dangerous than cocaine and those other substances.

So it is apparently a gateway drug to less-dangerous substances, at least according to the federal government.

I thought that that was an interesting idea haha.

on another note, i don't really buy the gateway drug theory. I'm not particularly motivated to go out and do harder drugs as a result of my marijuana usage.

13. Yeah its called peer pressure. The same reason people start smoking in the first place.

14. You try other drugs after smoking weed because most of the time you the person buying the pot is forced to deal with drug dealer. IE someone who makes money off selling drugs. So of course hes going to try and sell you more different drugs, so he can make more money. The truth is with legalization the gateway theory would be irrelevant. Also just use your own common sense and stop blaming a flower, thanks :smoke:

15. you can be addictied to candy and shit i will say again its about your personality and how you become addicted to stuff if i dont have weed for a month its no prob ya know

16. I can agree with the Op on that it did want me to expeince more and i dont think it was a bad thing I dont ever wanna try coke.meth/crack stuff like that but i did wanna try stuff liek mushrooms

17. I for one, said I would never try weed in my life.

I was convinced otherwise, because my friends told me, and I've done my research, that weed has near zero bad affects on your body.

I would never explore any other drugs, because of harm and addiction, and other factors.

18. Weed itself isnt a gateway drug...a person ultimately makes the decision. If i decided i wanna do a hard drug thats my choice it means i dont have self control or im uneducated. Im satisfied with my high from bud. Dont get me wrong ive done shrooms but ive had no desire to try a hard drug.

19. Also in my experience, heavy drinkers who don't smoke bud are far more prone to use cocaine than tokers who don't drink.

20. It could just be that a a higher percentage of pot smokers are more open minded to trying such things. It's not the marijuana that makes them that way they are like that to begin with. Correlation does not prove causation.