Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed has crippled me!

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Gadaran, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Maybe poor posture from being firmly up your own arse did it bro. Seems more likely.

I don't really see your stay here being a long one if you shout down people with rudeness just because they have a differing opinion. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person IMO.

2. alright. so youre good now? if so start smoking more weed and if something happens report back

3. in which ways do you consume cannabis? I find smoking to be the most problematic for people that are sensitive to it. maybe take up vaping or dabing, maybe even edibles. as a no smoke alternative.

also have you talked to your back doctor about supports such as a waste band or something like dr ho's waste band where it inflates taking pressure off the spin/lower back?

and if you say it's a mental something that is manifesting as back pain maybe talk to somebody to get it off your chest or come to terms with it.

if your going to stick with pot, albeit potentially causing such problems, it's going to a bit of a bumpy road till you have explored all avenues, both with pot and other messures

4. I've had muscle spasms from back pain as well, 2 herniated discs in my lower back and cannabis never did anything but alleviate pain, reduce the feeling of inflammation and irritation, let my muscles relax, and let me sleep without being in constant pain. I was bedridden for almost 4 months. I have family members who have similar stories and who have also used cannabis with no problems.

The spine is a complicated network and very easily troubled. With a serious injury it's hard to simply say that weed alone is the culprit. In a side note, have you tried edibles or vaping weed? All I can think of is that maybe while smoking it, coughing could hurt your back. I just don't see how putting cannabinoids in your brain would worsen your physical condition.

Hope you recover and do well. I mean that. Your attitude towards others in this thread has been kind of snarky and negative though. That doesn't make people want to help you, but I'm willing to share my post with my thoughts and experiences.
    Best of luck, man.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Oh my word, thank you! A really decent, intelligent response..

You're absolutely right, of course - if it's a combination of factors, it'll need to be a multi-pronged approach. I guess there's a part of me that wants to believe it's one specific thing that I can change, and I can carry on as normal. But there's another part of me that knows - and has known for years - that its larger than that.

It was amazing, when I started searching last night, to read all the posts from people who've suffered with back pain as, they suspected, a result of smoking weed - people who had no history of such, describing symptoms identical to mine (that have baffled several doctors, who I furnished with only partial information), and even using the word 'spasm' with frightening regularity.

It's decidedly un-amazing to get trolled by idiots who have nothing valuable to add. I very rarely use forums, or any social media for that matter, because of those types. Seriously, of all the communities where you'd hope and expect to find chilled out, inclusive, thoughtful people such as yourself, it's a real shame to find oneself in that kind of company. That kind of person gives pot smokers a bad name.

I smoke mainly - with tobacco mostly. I've tried vaping, and will probably go back to it as part of my ongoing trials, and my continuing effort to quit. I do use a back support belt, and I've recently invested in a kneeling chair, which should improve my core muscles. I'm not an especially stressed out person, but life has its ups and downs, you know. The period I mentioned earlier was some time ago, and no coincidence that it was a particularly bad time for my back, and the first time I experienced the cramps. I bought a lot of weed when she dumped me!

So yeah, they are ongoing trials. I waited a long time to google my symptoms because, from my doctor's reaction, I figured there was something anomalous going on down there. But I waited to post anything online until I was sure of the connection, and I am sure. Other decent people were good enough to speculate on what might be causing the same problems for others, and organic fertilisers, growing outdoors and particular strains were suggested as possibilities. Sadly, I don't think that's the case for me.

Anyway, thank-you again. I'm sure others will surface in time who have experienced this, though it is clearly uncommon. Your words were a great comfort.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Of course, I know just how awful real back pain can be. Have you ever given acupuncture a try? I had nothing but beneficial and positive experiences with it in regards to lower back pain. I'm not sure how much you believe in the power of body energy and the many meridians that it flows through, but I myself have been involved with it since I was about 10. During my year of horrible pain from my herniated discs I used acupuncture twice a month and had excellent results. The energy blockages can manifest themselves in all sorts of ways, from physical pain, stress, depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc.

One form of it that helped me was where the worker would attach small wires to the ends of the needles in my back and it would pulse a small electrical burst into certain areas. I won't lie, it was a hard 20 minutes to get through, but it genuinely helped. As of one year later I have fully recovered with no surgery, which I was told I would absolutely need.
    Just another route of treatment to consider my friend.

7. Sorry that was meant for Reod above..

You'll have to forgive me if I'm a little blunt.. and for the pun. Cheesemonger clearly took offence to the 'cart and horse' comment, which wasn't narky at all, and was simply because he'd/she'd got the wrong end of the stick. I guess it made him feel daft, though it wasn't intended that way. The other guy was just being a twat, and he's been trolling my responses to other fora aswell. I don't really have the patience for that right now, to be honest, and certainly don't like being accused of lying.

You're right, Rose - I'm quite sure it's a combination of factors. But the undeniable fact is it happens when I'm 'on' and not when I'm 'off'. Just to be clear, my 'on' routine is 24-7, from morning coffee to daft o'clock bedtime, and was constant from my early twenties to my mid thirties. Since then I have been experimenting and diarising in an attempt to figure it out, and there's no doubt as to the correlation. I am fully employed and lead an otherwise active life that doesn't change in nature whether I am on or off.

I am fully accepting that the causes may be many, and that there is no magic bullet. But that electrical charge that causes the spasm is a signal from the brain. A stoned brain. That doesn't sound unlikely to me at all. Most people who've experienced it can handle it, though it's unpleasant, because it doesn't trigger a bigger problem. I live daily with the psychological causes of my back injury, and I am a zen master now when it comes to keeping that muscle relaxed. I could bring on a cramp now, just by thinking about it. When you're stoned, as you know, controlling the direction of your thoughts can be tricky, so there's one connection right there.

So when you had your spasms, would you describe them as cramps? Did they lock on and not release for some time, and come and go with that labour-like rhythm? It would also be good to determine whether the initial spasm is the same thing as the cramp, or whether one just brings on the other. I would also be very keen to hear from a doctor who knows about how the spinal column stores and utilises chemicals. I have an inkling there's something there, but it's far from my area!

8. Wow, Rose, that's really useful! Thank-you. Just gonna read through again...

9. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I suffer from chronic insomnia, which is why I took to pot in my twenties, and why I'm back on it now. That, plus asthma and a bad back - it's the holy triumvirate of debilitation. Can't walk, can't breathe, can't sleep! Cannabis helps with all of those, and I've always extolled its virtues. Which is why I so desperately want to find a way through this..

10. Serious question: Does weed help you with your asthma in any way? [FYI, Pot is GREAT for those little aches and pains that we seem to accumulate with age.]

11. Yes my spasms felt like a cramp accompanied by a wave of pain, would hit for about a minute or so, release, and would often occur again shortly after, a few times a day. From what I understand it's not uncommon for people with low back pain. I've been told it can also be affected by an ion imbalance. You've mentioned you're drinking plenty of fluids though so I'd imagine your electrolytes are in check, and that you're not only drinking water alone.

I found a special pillow that would keep my legs elevated which helped my pain decrease, and I spent time on an inversion table as well that felt so incredible. You commented that standing would make you feel like your spine was compressing on itself, an inversion table is an extremely pleasurable and somewhat fun way to combat that. Feels like your spine stretches back out, relieves pain, pressure, and gravity helps align your spinal column correctly. :)

12. Don't get me started on what it does to my asthma, lol! That's a whole other story. The answer is no, it doesn't. But the bigger answer is I'm not convinced I have asthma. I only get it for three months of the year - June to August - and at its worst at the end of a dry spell, just before the rain comes. And I only get it when I smoke weed. I think it's a fungal spore allergy, but the tests are prohibitively expensive, so the NHS won't perform them routinely.

I kinda wish you hadn't asked that, coz now I look like a massive hypochondriac, and I'm laying guilt at weed's door again, which is bound to enrage at least two people! I have a friend who has the exact same problem as me and, amazingly, it turned out we were both hospitalised on the same night!

13. Ah hah! Yes! I have a curling bar, and I used to go hang off it occasionally. It was amazing. I haven't done it in recent years though, coz the last time, the second I put my feet on the floor, it triggered a cramp. Gutted.

14. Yeah, I think what's unusual about mine is that the disc is pressing on a nerve, and when the cramp kicks in, it's basically compounding the whole lot. I'm not making it up - the paramedic in July said he'd never seen anything like it, and he was in his fifties. I've known some pain over the years, not least of which was a tooth infection that was so painful I forgot who I was and was living in cartoon-land for two days. But this is something else.

15. Ion imbalance.. Google time.

16. Holy shit. Could smoking weed cause or exacerbate that sort of chemical imbalance?

17. Jesus, that's fucking it!! You're a genius! It's an electrolyte imbalance - causes muscle spasms!

18. Time to get a new doctor..

19. Glad to have helped a bit, at the very least it may result in subtle but noticeable changes in your spasms and overall pain level. You can take supplements for the different electrolytes if they aren't a part of your normal diet. Though from what I've heard your issues are also very physical and disc/nerve related, so continuing chiropractic care and your general doctor is a must, possibly trying out acupuncture, too. The little subtle changes can lead up to very noticeable changes over time.

Allowing your body to heal itself by caring for your cells. As for your question, I have no answer for whether smoking weed could affect your ion levels, but that's a great question to ask your doctor.

Hope you continue your research and learn more, take care of yourself Gadaran! Best of luck and hang in there, back pain sucks and being bedridden is horrible. You'll come out of this though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Magnesium deficiency. I just know it. Cause: excessive sweating. I sweat for England, and regularly soak the entire bed, to my partner's dismay. It's a perfect storm - Tramadol makes me sweat like hell, I'm confined to bed for days. Just bought a memory foam mattress, which is not helping. Obviously I should get some tests.
    What's the weed connection? Is it really purely psychosomatic?