Weed frying my brain?

Discussion in 'General' started by splickedyliit, Jul 10, 2017.

1. #1 splickedyliit, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    So I'm 18 years old and I'm a very moderate toker. To put it into perspective, I've smoked about 6 or 7 grams of marijuana in the past 7 months whereas some of you smoke that in a week or even a day lol. On a week that I do choose to smoke, I'll usually go for only 1 or 2 (or even 3, maximum) nights to toke. On a night I'll occasionally smoke 1/3 of a joint, but usually I prefer just a medium-sized bowl to chill for a couple of hours and get a good night's sleep.

Now here's where my title comes in: I've read a lot of articles on the effects of cannabis on the developing brain and it's kind of scaring me. As I've said I'm only 18 and my brain still needs several more years to develop. I feel that my brain is fried/damaged from smoking all those grams in that sometimes I can't focus/ think clearly, have frequent short-term memory, and some symptoms of ADHD and dyslexia. I feel like my intelligence is getting lower. I haven't given up smoking long enough to see if these are short-term or long-term effects I am experiencing, but I'm willing to quit for a while starting now to see. It is currently summer so a lot of things could also be a factor such as: my sleep schedule being all over the place, my diet (currently eating less to lose weight), the heat (I'm often dehydrated, which I'm trying to fix), and I play tons of video games and watch TV for hours whenever I'm off of work. This is the first time that I'm noticing changes in my ability to think and act and it's worrying me.

Obviously these are signs that I should change something, but I still wanted to ask: How serious is smoking while the brain is developing? Should I quit smoking at my age? Have I smoked so much that I've permanently damaged my brain? Have you experienced anything like this? Any advice would be appreciated!

Edit: Now that I've been off of it for a couple of days, I feel back to normal, 110%! I guess it's just the way I react to it. Thanks for all the advice!

2. Maybe you should just put it down for a few years. Go get a degree or start a family. Start your life. You're only 18. As for the permanent damage, only the scientists know the answer to that. And what they know is all just conjecture, a guess.

I've been smoking for the better part of my life. I started when I was 15. I'm now 55. There are bunches of people on here that are just like me. I can't say that I'm a burnt out druggie. There are people that have way more brain power than me that began smoking when they were young. Scientists, doctors and lawyers etc. I don't really subscribe to the permanent damage theory because of the people I've met over the course of my life.

If you feel that it's holding you back, by all means stop smoking at least until you are at a place in your life where it doesn't hold you back.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. It can affect the developing mind in the manner you described. Everyone is different, so some might not notice, others will.

You might want to abstain, it sounds like you're having issues with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reefer madness and sadly, you trust your doctors instead of your own head. Stop reading into propaganda as this is what is killing our youth by the massive prescriptions.

Think like a human and believe that all herb bearing seeds are Good as you know they are. Doubt is cancerous.

• Like Like x 3
  5. I'm about to turn 19 and I've been smoking for about 10 months. 8 months of near daily, 4 of those have been pretty heavy by my standards and I'm now on a month-long cheaty t-break. I do have short term memory issues, but I've always had those. I feel as long I I am moderate with my usage when i have to think, such as test periods, I can think clearly. If I'm smoking 4 bowls of an indica each day though, shit starts to get hazy.

I don't think cannabis is affecting you to such a degree since you really don't smoke a lot. If I were you I would make a doctors appointment, they'll tell you what you need to know

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hi Sparklez, you're up early today.

• Like Like x 1
  7. A friend of mine just passed from what I fear may have been OD. Shit has me scorned on this drug war when lives that could be saved with real medicine go pushed over to the abuse of medications because they have no access to weed.

Not going to hijack OP's thread here but I would like to prevent another unnecessary death from abusing drugs if I can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Stop smoking.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

9. I been smoking daily since I was 14 years old. It was the opposite for me. My grades improved, I focused more, and my anxiety disappeared, whereas before I was prescribed ADHD medicine, anxiety meds, and sleeping meds. I took none of that after using cannabis and as a result, in school I've excelled better than ever and I feel better.

Sounds like you're buying into the whole reefer madness and you're a hypochondriac. You smoke significantly less than I ever imagined possible, so with the very little amount you've smoked, I highly doubt weed has much of anything to do with how you're feeling. And I Dunno what else you do, but maybe you're blaming weed for what other drugs are doing, like maybe prescription meds or alcohol or other drugs. I don't know what you use or what you eat.

Anyways, weed affects everyone differently, just like everything else that alters the mind in the world does, ever, even prescription meds.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. You know there are so many posts on this site about things like this. 90% of these posts are just silly. There are so many other factors on whomever posts these threads that there is literally no way ANYONE can even start to give any real advice.
    If it makes you feel good and you enjoy smoking then smoke. If you don't like it then stop. If you're worried about long term effects stop. Do you. It don't matter what we say. Almost anything is fine in moderation. There are 5 year old kids that use cannabis in some manner or form for true medical issues. They don't grow up and become idiots who can't remember their own phone number.
    There's a stigma attached to cannabis that many of us work hard to try to erase from this world. Do your own research. Read the very few white papers published on the subject. Make your own decisions. And don't listen to the masses. Cause we all know that the masses are asses. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. I'm 18 myself, and I can tell you from my experience that it hasn't made me less intelligent. I would suggest incorporating some puzzles in ur daily routine to sharpen the edges of the sword. I would recommend sudoku and ken ken. These two games definitely make you use your short term memory and have a great affect on it as well. Personally, weed has enhanced my creativity. Creativity and intelligence go hand in hand very well. It opens many windows that give you more ideas, perspective, and just expands your perception overall.

• Like Like x 1
  12. i had a near death experience, and put away the bong immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. sounds like you need to start taking DABS!!