Weed for depression?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sergeant Grimm, Jun 8, 2009.

1. I have been taking a prescription drug for severe depression for almost ten years now and I am now at the maximum dosage they allow. I have been giving it time, but it just seems like I am always pissed, upset, down or just plain bleh. So my question would be if you guys think smoking out helps cope or deal with depression?

BTW I am just starting to smoke

2. weed will make you happier and socialable, but then it would be that you'd need it everytime. and itll make you lazy. well depends what kinda person you are and what mood you bring into the highness. soo..........................:cool:

i'd rather smoke weed than take anti-depressants.

3. Well, I am a college student, so naturally I am lazy anyways. But the few times I have smoked it was a pretty nice experience. I have only had one bad high out of like fifteen. I know, fifteen, whoa! :)

4. okay then, go for it. but dont smoke too much and make your happy mood be dependent on smoking weed, but stop the anti-depressants because their not doing their job. so why keep taking them?

ohyeahh, im not a doctor. :)
    im just giving you my two cents.

5. Well, when I am not on them I get worse, almost suicidal. I am on 450MG of Welbutrin a day, which insurance doesn't even cover, but when I don't take it I crash like none other. I become a hermit and just sit around and think about how stupid shit that shouldn't be talked about. So, the medicine helps, just not as much as I would like it too.

6. well, dont wanna be mean, but thats what you get for taking anti-depressants because they never solve anything.

all i can say is, smoke weed, i guess. but dont over smoke and dont take your medication and smoke weed at the same time.

hmm, smoke weed when you go out and take your meds on days you have nothing to do. iono what the fuck im saying. im just rambeling. lol

7. Apparently, at least according to my friends back home, Jesus is the answer to all. Not that I don't believe, because I do, but there is just some shit that ain't solved by praying.

/random rant

Don't worry man, I rant too^^ :)

8. given my experiences with weed, i'd say yes.
    of course, people all react differently or what not, so it may not help for you.

i'd try it out if i were you. maybe stop or lower your dosage and smoke weed and see if it does anything.
    just make sure to keep some pills on hand, and i don't see how the situation could unfold badly. :)

i don't know if there's mmj available to you for that where you are, but... maybe talk to your doctor about it?

9. it helps with my depression. i say try it.

10. Just to get a feel, how much do you smoke and what would you say your level of depression is/was?

11. Yes it does for me! I have to do both though. Neither is strong enough on it's own. It also helps with anxiety. Smoke Indica's, Sativas could make you a bit more edgy. :smoking:

12. medical marijuana.

13. Sorry for my ignorance, as I am new to the field, but how can/do I know the difference between the two?

14. #15 Glass Jar, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2009
    Cannabis > Anti-depressants any day!

Just don't smoke so much you get super-stoned and non-functional.

If you're going to be self-medicating using cannabis you need to get a really good feel for how it affects you, like literally each toke taking you to a different level of highness.

I'm not an everyday smoker, so literally 3 or 4 healthy inhales will get me to a nice, functional, happy place. Find your perfect level of medication for the mindset you want to be at, and I guarantee you'll be happy and more functional than if you were on anti-depressants.

Good luck! :wave:

EDIT:
    Sativa's are more of a mental mindfuck high, Indica's are more of a stonier relaxing body high. I'd agree that for just a relaxing, happier effect the Indica's would be more useful for you.

As far as telling the difference, a lot of dealers lie about the strains that their weed are. If you can't find a trustworthy dealer (which can be hard in some colleges, I don't know about Purdue's marijuana scene), honestly there's not a huge difference if you're not smoking a lot and you're a beginner. Just literally take mental or physical notes on how you feel after each individual toke, give yourself like 10 minutes after each one when you're figuring out your dosage for the first time. Of course there's no risk of overdosing on marijuana, but if you're self-medicating with it, you should be just as methodical with finding your dosage as if you were using a prescription pill.

15. Ah, yeah. That wouldn't be possible unfortunately as Indiana is pretty strict when it comes to illegal drugs, mainly due to the perverse amount of meth heads here.

16. Sorry to say, but I disagree. LOL you were rambling but it's ok. He needs to get on another anti-depressant. You don't just stop, especially after 10 yrs!

Wellbrutrin is the cheapest. It is also not a very clean drug. Try Cymbalta, it is a cleaner drug with fewer side effects and works well for me. Been on the same dose for 5 yrs. I supplement it with mj and the two together works very well.

17. Thanks man! Is there any kind you would suggest? I got a friend heading up to Detroit this weekend and she is going to pick me up a quarter of something. I haven't decided what kind.

18. I tried a few others at the beginning but I had an allergic reaction to them. Paxil and something else, they had a ingredient that made me manic. I will ask him about it though, next time I go.

19. Sativa strains are more a more social alert high. Indica's are more relaxing. You can tell by the way you feel after you smoke.