Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Depression Weed combined with depression/anxiety and ADHD?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by pizzaqueen7, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Hi guys, I'm pretty new to these forums but I've been wondering about this stuff for a while. I'm also pretty high right now so forgive me if this is kinda all over the place. A few months ago I was diagnosed with inattentive type ADHD (w/o hyperactivity). My doctor is waiting to put me on ADHD medication until I can get my depression and anxiety under control. ANYWAY I've had depression and anxiety combined for almost 3 years and it's been manageable but for the past 4-5 ish months its been a lot worse. This could be due to a lot of things that were happening in my life, but basically I'm wondering if it could be because I've been smoking daily for the past 4 months as well or if the smoking at least contributed to it. Also, when I do start taking ADHD medication will smoking daily be an issue with it? (I know all medications are different but generally speaking)

2. While the actual bud does not typically have a negative effect on depression/anxiety, do consider if your habitual smoking is having an impact on other aspects of your life. Are you choosing to smoke over socializing with friends, exercising regularly, eating healthy? This simple stuff can have a big impact on mental health, and I know at times I've caught myself starting to prioritize having a daily smoke over other productive actions.

I have a MMJ prescription FOR anxiety, and it works very well when incorporated well into a healthy lifestyle.
    Everything in moderation! :smoke:

Also, definitely tell your doctor you smoke before being put on any medication. Some things don't mix. If you're living in an illegal state/country, your relationship with your doc is confidential so no worries.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 gracefuldancingblue, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
    I'm in the same boat as you, with the ADHD, anxiety and depression, but I've found that smoking weed has helped them, so I doubt that the weed is a causal factor in yours getting worse. I also don't know of any medications for this sort of thing that you can't take if you smoke weed -

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  4. Guys, the stigma around weed makes smoking it to have a hard emotional pressure (feeling regret). Just don't put weed as a priority, everyone will see it as a problem, see it as a solution, how can you smoke weed to feel better, listen to chill music while you're high in circumstances were you would probably be depressed.

5. it helps with depression, but not so much if you sit around and do nothing. Try getting enough exercise every day, getting all your tasks done and then enjoy, it's much more relaxing. Also, smaller doses are better, it's hard to function while completely blasted. This is even more true for introverts or highly sensitive people, as being high, you may pick up on everyone's vibes and emotions, and being out in the world can be very overstimulating, too much to process

also high cbd strains are great

6. that is the delicate balance but.... a person on daily high dose canna oil ( RSO / RSHO) etc will most likely not be depressed while actively consuming the cannabis oil... there is merit " to low dose the cannabis " with results but a high dose approach cannot miss

7. I smoke for the same reasons I've noticed when I'm depressed my other symptoms are worse add ptsd OCD etc. in my opinion you need to find strains that work for you so you can continue to do the things you love and make u happy. Took me about two years to find different strains that I could function on all parts of my day ( work, driving, at home, with friends etc..)
    I smoke all day long 3 to 4 different strains and no one would suspect a thing.

8. Honestly, if you feel like cannabis has become a blockage to you achieving the mental state you want to have, then quit for a bit, see how it makes you feel. It'll always be there, it's not going away anytime soon. You know where to get the stuff. Right now I'm taking a t-break and it's been good for my mental health personally. I'm also feeling pretty good because I'm with my family enjoying what little time I have left of vacation before I gotta fly back to finish out my schooling. IDK man, I've dealt with these feelings before, anxiety and depression, and from what I have experienced the best way to solve it is to find out what is causing it and avoid that pattern. My pattern for me was running to cannabis for ALL my happiness, which was a terrible move. I was putting all my eggs in one basket, once that basket is gone, I was hopeless. SO I was like "am I going to live like shit because i'm too pussy to talk to people sober? FUCK THAT! I AIN'T GOING OUT LIKE DAT!" so I quit weed for a couple years and was all about that healthy life. I was on top of my game! I really didn't get back into smoking until I met my ex girlfriend. Then she because my source of my happiness/depression because, again, I put all my eggs in one basket. Lesson learned. Never put all your eggs in one basket. I don't know if my story helps you or not, but I'm throwing it out there. Good Luck and I hope you reach that level of stable happiness in which you feel confident and comfortable in your skin no matter where you are. Peace out! :biggrin: