Weed causing my depression?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheElcinator, Oct 9, 2011.

1. So I have been smoking regularly on and off for the past few months, but I have gone a couple weeks a few times without smoking.

The last week I have been having huge emotional break downs and mood swings, making me angry, upset, and slightly violent.

I personally think it's my depression coming back. My husband thinks it's 'coming down' from smoking. So he wants me to do an 'experiment' of not smoking for at least a week and seeing what happens to my emotions. Last time I smoked was 4 days ago, and I had a break down yesterday.

I'm doing it to please him, but IMHO I don't think it's going to change anything. I've stopped smoking weed in the past under more drastic situations before and not had ANY issue. (I used to smoke every day, all day, for 3 months straight, then one day I just dropped it, and didn't even look back, no side affects or anything)

What do you think about coming down from Mary Jane? Have you ever had huge mood swings after not smoking?

2. fuck stress, have sex!

3. The cause and solution to all problems. More or less.. especially if you smoke too much, meaning (for me) 3 jays a day or something around that general area.

4. Any stress in your life? Depression can be caused by some many things its hard to say.

5. Sounds like your using marijuana as a crutch to your depression. Using it to escape and for that happiness on a generally sad day. Bad mood? At the end of the day weed is whats picking you up, not fixing the problem. So without it, naturally, you feel like that.

I would recommend intermittent smoking. Quit for a while, feel depressed by it, see whats depressing you and fix it. Then smoke up and with your new profoundness improve your life and uplift your mood.

Just a thought. With depression you need to make sober happiness priority numero uno. When using weed for depression it just gets worse, times wasted, MJ becomes a problem and the highs just suck.

6. I really doubt weed is causing your depression. Is it possible you were depressed before you started smoking weed? Now that you smoke you get some relief. When you're not high the depression becomes more noticible.

7. Cannabis would not be directly causing your depression, but it could be a factor. Maybe getting high was suppressing your past mental issues and now that your body is use to it it's starting to let things out.

8. Hate to chime in like this but... could be PMS? The mood swings and angry/emotional moods point to that. Our hormones are some powerful fucking chemicals and unfortunately as the fairer sex ours go into clusterfuck overdrive on a monthly basis. I personally NEED nugs when I'm PMS-ing, it makes me less irritable and bitchy.

But if it's depression.... definitely lay off the nug for a little bit. In my experience it can worsen depression by making me lazy/unmotivated to do things and the best "cure" for depression is to do something productive/creative.

Also, if you've been a heavy smoker for a long time you definitely will feel some "withdrawal" effects from stopping. I always feel irritable and have cravings the first 2-3 days of not smoking.

Good luck with it all!

9. Do you take any meds for the depression? I would highly recommend it. I know some people are against meds but this is worth it. Before my girlfriend got meds for her depression, it was horrible. Break downs ever couple days. But now the difference is literally like light and day. She's a brand new person after being on depression meds.

10. I agree with JoePain25, it sounds like your using marijuana as a crutch to your depression. Even you don't think that you are, you should try exercising daily and eating a healthy diet to treat your depression. It has been proven time and time again to help with depression. Shoot~ exercise and a healthy diet helped me with my depression tremendously.

Exercise: How Does This Promote A Healthy Mind And Body? - Dr. Emmons - VIDEO - EmpowHER.com

Depression and mental disorders can be prevented and treated with simple healing foods

It helped so much, I don't even smoke weed anymore. It's just that awesome.:D

11. Definitely agree with this

I still smoke daily but i've cut back a ton and started exercising and eating better. I feel better now than I have in my 4 years of smoking.

Proper diet and exercise goes a LONG way for your mood :D

12. [quote name='"JoePain25"']

Sounds like your using marijuana as a crutch to your depression. Using it to escape and for that happiness on a generally sad day. Bad mood? At the end of the day weed is whats picking you up, not fixing the problem. So without it, naturally, you feel like that.

I would recommend intermittent smoking. Quit for a while, feel depressed by it, see whats depressing you and fix it. Then smoke up and with your new profoundness improve your life and uplift your mood.

Just a thought. With depression you need to make sober happiness priority numero uno. When using weed for depression it just gets worse, times wasted, MJ becomes a problem and the highs just suck.[/quote]

I don't feel I ever used it as a crutch. I never smoked for an emotional boost. I only ever smoked with friends, when they offered it to me.

13. dude try sativa, sativa makes u happy

14. If smoking weed ails your depressive symptoms, then you are using it as a crutch. Whether you realize it or not.

15. [quote name='"BUDDAMUNK"']

If smoking weed ails your depressive symptoms, then you are using it as a crutch. Whether you realize it or not.[/quote]

Maybe, but I never smoked on my own terms. I just don't turn down any offers. Lol I understand though.

16. [quote name='"Loud202Pack"']dude try sativa, sativa makes u happy[/quote]

Lol I love Sativa