Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed = Artist's Best Friend?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Jayjangle, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I know there is this old stereotype that marijuana is mostly used by 'hippy' or 'hipster' artists for motivation. I like to think of myself as a frequent smoker who is otherwise no different from other artists. However, I cannot ignore the fact that it helps me focus on my work and removes the possibility of boredom setting in within an hour. I work more efficiently and uniquely after smoking.

One thing that I have always struggled with is depth perception in my art...for example, picturing how a street would look descending toward the viewer from a strange angle. During sober art sessions I would wind up banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out. Baked, however, I am able to better understand the concept of depth and viewer angle due to an altered state of mind.

Anyone have any thoughts or observations on the matter?

2. i write my best music while stoned.

3. If you actually believe (sober) that the work you did while high was better then power to you. I know as a classical music student it is completely impossible to play well when high or even during the phase hours afterwards (if it lingers). You can't completely control your involuntary actions that are essentially to playing at a high level.

I can understand though, It let's you calm down and that leads to you believing you are focusing more, at least from my experience.

4. Jamming while stoned makes for the best jams, for me. Easy to get lost in it, and make it go on forever and ever.

5. this. love jamming on the drums when baked.

6. Every mix, party, or rave I've ever DJ'ed I was blazed and it makes it more fun for me and in that connection, it sounds better. I think it just helps you think like <> than []

7. Personally, I don't think being stoned helps you be more creative. In my opinion, it just helps you appreciate the little nuances of life.

Word.

8. I am horrible at drawing when sober... but once i light up its like night and day!! When i smoke i keep pictures in my head a lot better and i just draw wats on my mind... weed makes people better at things they normally suck at lol

9. To me, weed takes our linear world and rounds out the edges and blurs the lines of what we've been trained to understand are the only way to do things. It opens me up to a different wavelength of appreciating colors, patterns, sounds, shapes and sizes. I love a blank stretched canvas and oil painting from scratch while blazed. Music is my main thing and I write songs and harmonies much better when I'm just high enough for a head change and no "couch lock". Prefer to be sober when actually recording so that I hear what everyone else will hear. Sativa's work the best for me and art because it gives me energy and motivation to create. A stoney Indica has it's place but it usually places me right on the couch just thinking about what I'd like to do when I'm not feeling so lazy. Herb can be an integral part of an artists muse for sure.

10. I am actually going in to record at an industry level studio tomorrow morning, tracking the vocals to a song I wrote 2 days ago. I write portions of my music stoned, it can help relax me or change my perspective on what I'm writing a little, but I also KNOW that my music ear is much more accurate when it comes to being in tune if I'm not stoned. Tones can mesh together. The technical side of it can get removed too much, and it can become too unstructured.

So to me, it's useful. But no, an artist's best friend is his or her own self.

11. I'm majoring in studio arts, and I can honestly say I'm not more creative art wise when high. My attention span shortens whilst blazed and its sometimes harder for me to concentrate on one thing for a long time. But other times I love to work on projects when high..... idk I would say weed doesn't make me a better artist.

12. I get more ideas when I smoke...but honestly my drawings come out lop-sided and wonky. But there was a time where I had major 'artist's block' when I smoked a lot.

13. I love being stoned while freestyling and writing music. I just dont give a fuck what other people think about it then and can get lost in my endless imagination.

14. Okay I don't know what classical instrument you play, but I have been playing viola for the last 12 years and have also been a semi-professional (opera) singer/student for the last 3 years and I can attest that I've gotten some of my best rehearsing done while high. It really more or less depends on the person. Cannabis seems to be an enhancer, so I guess it just depends on where your focus is at the time. I would never play viola while high in public or in an orchestra rehearsal lol....I wouldn't be able to focus at all. But every brass player (trumpet, trumbone, tuba, *not so much french hornists* lol) I know practices high, plays in orchestra high, if they play jazz...they're usually always high, etc. lol most classical musicians in the NYC area where I am, love pot....well maybe not so much the Asian ones. :)

15. Its hard to get ideas when im high, but if i get one its easy to focuse on it

16. I am a career composer of orchestral music......the theory and immense facts that need to be drawn upon at any given moment (e.g. the sound quality of an Oboe in it's upper register, or whether a certain passage for violin should consist of all up bows, opposed to a mix of up/down), doesn't comply with being high.......I have taken a 10-15 year break, and plan to start smoking again when all these things become second nature for me :smoke:

17. ^
    Dedication, that's what's up.