Weed and Memory

Discussion in 'General' started by ReallyRed, Nov 17, 2009.

1. #1 ReallyRed, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2009
    we all know that most of us have a rough time remembering some things while high, but who has noticed that their memory has actually improved after using weed (while sober?) i know it's circumstantial but when i was young i had a real shitty memory and through most of highschool (when i was the uber-potisforlosers-square...) now it's almost like i can recall a hellova lot more stuff than i used to and sometimes with a little more clarity.

did some research on it too... given that Cannabis binds to the receptors that bind with anandamide (the cannabinoid receptors) which regulate the same stuff that marijuana affects, i was kinda thinking.

if marijuana affects the brain and body's naturally produced cannabinoids like how meth affects dopamine levels (or is it seratonin? can't recall the specific one) then it could be reasonable to assume that over time, smoking marijuana could stunt the brains ability to forget (that's apparently what anandamide helps with... forgetting things, amongst other things)

if so, i'd like to get some thoughts on this... since you became a smoker, have you noticed if your memory has gotten better while sober since you started?

compound this with the studies i've read that leads people to think that THC can help spur more neurons to grow (i'd find the link but i'm on the lazy side tonight... google is your friend i guess) do you think it could be safe to say that weed has the potential to make you smarter (when you're sober... while high i think all bets are off ;P)

2. Irony? :p

I somewhat agree, but I am torn. I truly don't believe cannabis use affects my memory in any positive manner, however prior to using marijuana my memory was not so amazing. These days my memory is pretty good, better than it used to be.

I hesitate to believe that cannabis has played a role in that change, but it is interesting to note that after I started using marijuana regularly is when I felt my memory had gotten much better.

3. heheh, you got me on that one :D

i'd love to have access to a science team and a grant to study this. though i'm no scientist to be honest (hey, any neurobiologists in the city?)

but yeah, i am quite aware that it could be something purely coincidental given that a lot of people i know that start smoking herb usually start about the same time (mid to late adolescence) which would make it hard to determine if it's a natural phenomenon from maturing or as a result of the weed.

4. I really don't think it affects memory because if it did...uh...what were we talkin' about?

5. I wouldn't go so far to say that my memory has improved, but I do notice I'm a lot more content and relaxed about things after smoking. I really do believe that the pleasure you experience during the high can affect your mind in a positive way in the long run.

6. when i get really high i dont remember what i've done during the time that i was high, like when im sober again and look back at it i dont remember much, some things i remember but its mostly a haze.

7. When i'm baked out of my mind, I'll get into a story and then all of the sudden forget what I was talking out. Like, I can't remember to save my life. Pisses me off until I realize no one else remembers what I was talking about either.