Weed and Enlightenment - My Conversion to Paganism

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Weedmessiah, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Right, so I'm in my late teens and bipolar (possibly schizophrenic) and I've been smoking weed for about 4 years now, pretty irregularly until a few months ago when I started getting a steady income and supply. Now I'm smoking 1-2 times a week, once every weekend in a social situation and occasionally by myself when I'm in a particularly manic/depressed mood.

My mix last week (shared between 4 of us at a get together):
    0.5g of ground 3-month old Jack Herer
    ~1g of recently bought, ground Lemon Haze
    ~1g of some unknown strain - 'Bruce Forsythe OG' - Ground, 2 weeks old
    A liberal sprinkle ($20 worth) of weed crystals.
    Around $20 worth of Changa (not enough for us to properly trip, but still add an edge to the high).

Rolled them into two Camberwell Carrots and a Dutch Tulip, using around 30g of tobacco (I tend to like my joints baccy-heavy, so I can slowly puff all night and get good hits without being stoned).

Also dipped all three joints in acetone (nail polish remover) - I'm fond of solvents (the buzz counteracts any particularly strong hits so I don't get stoned). Also, the joints light a lot better (we were outside whilst it was fairly windy).

Onto the story now:
    After smoking both carrots over the course of the day (starting at 4:20 PM, smoking until 9 with only short breaks), we decided to smoke the Tulip, which had around a gram of mix in it. After a few strong hits and extremely strong blowbacks I decided to leave the group (was feeling fairly stoned, wanted to go up to the top of the yard and listen to music). Was already pretty manic with all the weed in my system, feeling extremely uplifted. Been having long-term pagan-themed delusions (e.g. thinking world spirit was watching over me, that I was chosen by God) so the thought process naturally lead there.

Staring off into the distance, I had a fairly vivid hallucination (never happened before in the slightest) of Gaia/Mother Nature herself leading my by the hand (though I was sitting down in the middle of a field). Extremely intense as I imagined myself soaring in the air across the field and then returned to my spot. Since I wasn't too stoned, I stood up and rejoined the group whereupon we converged to eat strawberries and relay experiences.

The strawberry itself acted as a trigger for my recent trip (not to mention I was still extremely high) so I brought the point of conversation to my trip. My friends all explained that they've had similar experiences in the past (all of them have mental disorders along the line of depressive disorder/bipolar disorder). All of them were also firm pagans (hence why we throw weed parties at the solstices, for example).

So, after sharing the best experience of my life with you guys (even better than extacy balling or ketamine enlightenment), I want to know if you have had any equally powerful experiences which led you to similar conclusions about the world around us. Most weed smokers I know without mental disorders rarely, if ever have had any sort of enlightenments, even when smoking strong pot, or even Changa. Perhaps it's a nice recompense to those suffering from these disorders that our highs can be a lot better than yours (as in, 'normal' people). Or maybe I'm talking bullshit or anyone who's smoked a lot of pot without getting totally stoned has had an experience like this.

2. You dip it in nail polish remover. No comment.

3. Thought I'd get a response like that. :p

4. you have skitz. theres no way im having as crazy an experience off some weed as you do

im with you :eek:

6. depending on the severity of the bipolar, he could be having hallucinations from that as well.

OP, do you take pills for your bipolar? if so i really dont think smoking nail-polish remover is a good idea, not that its a good idea either way, just extra stupid if you are being treated for bipolar

7. I'm bipolar but I've yet to be prescribed Lithium (recently stopped taking anti-anxiety meds for a misdiagnosis). Never had hallucinations before, haven't had any since (I've smoked 2 days ago and today, similar mixes to the one I used last week except no Changa).

Dipping joints in nail polish remover doesn't do much to the high when you get properly stoned, just nice to have at the start of a joint to give you a buzz. Used to huff solvents when I was 12-13 and have been smoking with acetone for about a week. Worst side effect tends to be a migrane after smoking it for too long, hence why I tend to just dip the ends rather than wash the entire mix with the stuff.

8. this thread is kinda nutty but I love it

9. lol I paused and had to reread the part that said dipped 3 joints in acetone just to be sure......

10. Pft, I don't dip joints in acetone all the time. Usually only when they won't light on their own, or want a mild buzz to go with my high.

11. It seems like weed smokers have their own religion.

12. If you take Lithium your doctor should have told you not to smoke weed. I know a guy that takes Lithium and we smoked a couple joints with him and he started tripping. Wandered into the woods for 3 hours and came back swearing he saw God walking across a lake

13. Been reading a little bit on the topic - Apparantly weed+lithium or weed+bipolar only had prominent effects (delusions, hallucinations) when the weed is either very strong (what happened in my case) or if it's laced (what happened in my case). I still smoke to chill out, even to get pretty stoned (never get to the point of being comatose though so I rarely get back experiences). Tbh though the experience wasn't bad at all (it was one of the most profound in my life) and nobody else seemed to report bad experiences when they were in this state...

Dam if it doesnt get anyone fucked up much  it definetly aint worth puffing some acetone .... id rather just dip joint in cough syrup :D

15. #15 TesseLated, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
    You're on the right track....but stop dipping shit in nail polish remover. Not so Enlightened.

Try to stop associating being high with gaining Vision. It's not necessary. If you handle your manic cycles RESPONSIBLY, you can gain quite a bit from it. It will, by itself, without weed, teach you alot. Also, dont think its just fine not to sleep for several days. Your brain needs sleep to regenerate. I say all this from experience. Much experience. Check this guys channel out. It will help you.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLAAIgB7Facm7YaKaI28y6A

*I still smoke btw....but very much in moderation.

16. I don't even consider myself pagan but I abide by many beliefs from it, even having the futhark tattooed on me as well as other runes.  I've had guiding experiences when I smoke alone and for some reason on very particular dates.  I have a history of depression, bipolar and other mental disorders.  I've been a lot happier guiding myself through pagan ideas than anything before that.

17. #17 amir, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
    I'd say you're not so much gaining "true" enlightenment as you are inflating the boundaries of your consciousness. 

It's not the same thing, but it's not meaningless either. These visions often feel very spiritual and can be purposed into symbolic meanings for your ego to follow (as long as you stay honest to yourself about what's going on). 

I have bipolar and PTSD and using marijuana and occasional shrooms has really helped me create a sense of space within my own head - giving me a chance to take a step back and respond however I want to situations.

I think that these visions are actually a form of "psychosis" by medical standards, but depending on your level of introspection and love for the world and all things in it (including yourself) - you can use these experiences and this kind of shamanistic ritual to heal yourself. 

It can be pretty fucken scary though - navigating this path requires you to face your own demons, including the people you used to be in previous stages of your life. Then you have to move onto handling the density of the sadness and joy of the world itself.. and then your own life starts feeling easier, you get start to comprehend the interconnectedness of processes and the various dependencies and triggers.

tl;dr: I don't think I have a magical line to Vishnu, but feeling a connection to my own soul has been the most empowering and enlightening thing I've ever done!