Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed and depression

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Gibsisrib, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Ive been smoking for a long time now and lately every time i smoke i just get all depressed for no reason. its usually when im coming down.
    its kinda hard to explain but is it normal to feel sorta depressed from blazing all the time.
    Maybe i just gotta take a month off and just chill out

2. The first two times I ever smoked was with my brothers friend. He has been smoking since he was 11 or 12 (hes 16 now). Thats what he told me. He said that eventually once you smoke long enough, weed is a downer.....

But its probably on a per case by case basis depending on your personality and general mood.

3. Breaks are extremely important. Everything is good in moderation!

4. There is always a reason to be depressed... I don't understand how you can just be depressed for no reason, any certain thoughts proliferate your brain when you're high?

I remember watching something on TV while I was lit like a tree, and it made me think about my parents dieing and it made me so sad lol.

5. yah thats happened to me more than a couple times since ive become a daily smoker. best tip would be keep it in moderation . i also realized that sometimes when i got in a depressed mood id think of the littlest things that were wrong and get all hung up on them, but then i would try to think of what i have to be happy about rather than what i have to be sad about and it helped..

6. i feel that herb amplifies my current mood, so when i am depressed i try not to smoke as it amplifies the depression... don't know if this is common for fellow tokers, but def'ly true for me.

7. If you get depressed from weed, you got problems. Big big problems. Stop smoking if you think it's the weed.

8. Absolutely it can do that. Breaks are good.

Also, smoking less -- that is, not getting as high -- can help. I find that the things I enjoy best about the herb I can get with a single hit (granted, samples vary -- mostly I have decent sativa-dominant varieties of local New England outdoor), and the effects I wish to avoid (depression, anxiety, muddy-headedness, lethargy) don't come until I smoke more than that.

It took me several decades to learn this. Nowadays I smoke whenever I want, often every day or nearly so, yet use no more than ten grams or so in a busy year.

Even so, there come those times when it becomes more of a liability than an asset. That's when to let it go a while. Listen to your body & listen to your head.

9. thats what I was thinking.

10. I was thinking (from the thread title)

Weed + Depression = -depression

But then, I'm severely depressed, and pots the only thing that really helps. It can make me a little down at times, more so because I wasted some time or usually because I should go to bed but don't want to, because then I'm one step closer to tomorrow. When things are really bad it doesn't erase all my symptoms, but it messes with how much I think about them.

Come home crying, smoke a bowl crying, start making dinner crying, turn on music crying, sing crying, do a little happy dance to a favorite song, have an oh-shit-dinner's-burning moment, walk by a mirror and wonder why your eyes are all swollen, remember and start crying, eat dinner and laugh for an hour at your cat.

It helps if you put your mind into it. It will make you feel better, not worse. Just keep telling yourself it's so and you'll reduce negative side effects. Sounds silly, I know.

11. if you're not enjoying it anymore why are you still smoking man

take a t-break, it's in your best interest. Thirty days should do it.

12. not at all true
    I'm 18, been smoking since I was 12
    weed doesn't become a downer

I believe that weed can be taken with anti-depressants and will maintain depression even better

13. Well.. I have just recently started smoking on a regular basis.. I dont think after you smoke weed for a long time it becomes a downer. In my opinion.. How you feel blazed is all about your overall mood. Just like with most all drugs. Shrooms for instance if your trying shrooms for the first time and your all worried that your going to see a fucking T-rex coming at you your prolly gonna trip.. Ill admit sometimes when I smoke I do get depressed but I feel it is because I have alot going on in my life at the moment. I have to find a place to live by june. I have to find a job. I hahve to find a way to pay for college. I am only 17 and I dont get my license till july. So I worry about that constantly when im stoned and I feel that if i smoke more it will help.. But when Im high all I do is think.

14. There's nothing wrong with self-medicating with something that's good for your mind.

15. So then, would there be something wrong about giving medication? I don't see where someone should draw the line.

16. Buy better weed. Like some dank sativa. If your smoking mids that's possibly why your getting a bad comedown. Also I drink something that'll give me energy, like a soda with caffeine or a Monster energy drink. Or one of those cold frappuccinos.. mmm. :smoking:

17. weed always help my mood, i get depressed when i lose my high though. sux if im out of weed. good thing im not though :smoking:
    the only thing is i think about intense weird shit wen im high...

18. i had a friend that smoked it pretty much for around 1 month solid and he got pretty depressed in general and had a major downer on everything.

He gave it a break for a while and was slightly better but in my opinion he needs to give it a wide berth for a bit as in stop smoking fully:eek:

19. I know exactly what you mean.

Much love.

20. exactly...