Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed and Depression

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by LedFloyd, Mar 7, 2009.

1. I'm a depressed guy. I was hospitalized a lot, I'm on medication, etc, etc, et cetera.

I also blaze every now and again- weed good or bad for depression?

2. good, very good

3. #3 garrison68, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
    Any depressive bouts I get are knocked out by weed, especially types that are primarily sativa.

4. I can't imagine being where I am today without discovering weed for my depression. :smoke:

5. Weed has vastly improved my anxiety induced depression. I have had extreme anxiety problems since i was a child. I have been hospitalized once and i have been on paxil for the past 2 years. Weed is the best when im feeling down. I just smoke .2-.3 to take the edge off and listen to some pepper and reflect.

6. Same here. Weed has been a savior for my anxiety/depression. It's too bad MI laws only prescribe MMJ for physical debilitations and not mental ones.

7. i feel depressed when i smoke weed now , it didnt used to be like that but ive been smoking for like 2 years. quit for a month, felt fine so started smoking again and immediately got depressed, now i quit for a month and it took a few weeks to get out of my depression stage but im feeling better again

8. I think smoking alot of weed over a long period of time can make people depressed.

9. on the real though, weed is AMAZING with my anger issues. before i smoked i was an agressive bullie ass-hole.
    now i just smoke and let the anger fade away. i smoke daily now, for two years and im a different more chill, and enjoyable person
    although it has made me a bit more of a puss at times, lol
    i say that cuz it makes me evaluate every situation and i get a bit cautiouse wen it comes to everything, its like i go from a lion to a cat. but its for the best....i stay out of trouble a lot more now, before weed i was out on the streets, running from the cops and getting locked up, and always drunk. now i just chill at home and with my girl a lot and dont hardly ever drink. maybe like once every month ill have a beer or two.
    so weed has been great for my mood in that aspect. but i find sometimes it makes me overthink a bit too much which result in paranoid thoughts....
    that aside......its the best thing thats ever happened! i luv my herb.:smoke::smoke::smoke:

10. I was on psych. meds and In & out of the hospital every 2 weeks to 2 months for 3 years. I smoke (since I got of "their" meds) and it stops me from hurting me. Also, it helps me be a more compasionate person. Although there's a fine line between getting lifted and never getting off the couch or leaving the house. It took me the better part of 2 years to really figure out where I needed to be. I am better for it. I haven't been hospitalized since I "switched meds". I still regularly see my psychiatrist/psychotherapist, refuse meds every time, and let him know what I'm smoking. He approves but doesn't have the power in this state to prescribe cannabis to me. I am moving back to WA in a few years and I'm really hoping to get a prescription when I do.:hello:

11. i've been smoking daily for about four months now, and i have pretty intense depression. i've never been hospitalized for it, because my mom is a nurse and loves to overmedicate me. when i moved out, i self medicated (which is dumb if you don't know what you're doing). then i started smoking regularly. i have no idea if it correlates with anything, but i only take half my prescribed dose of meds and then i smoke a bowl. i've been doing alright since. maybe it's just a change in thinking, or attitude?

12. Try taking 5-htp, it is great for depression.

13. It varies from person to person, but if weed helps aleviate your symptoms of depression (and possible anxiety), then I'd say continue smoking.

14. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071023183937.htm

They did a study and found marijuana to be an effective treatment for depression in low doses. In high doses, the opposite occurred and it made the depression symptoms worse.

And in my own personal life I've noticed this as well (although it varies depending on your mindset and the environment you're in). So if you're using it for this way or have an intent of using it this way you need to kind of manage it.

15. I find it's good for depression. When I get depressed, I get unmotivated and just sit at home doing nothing. But if I blaze, I feel like calling up some buds and doing something.

16. It's generally accepted as effective anti-depressant, however, as with everything it can affect everyone differently.