Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed and anesthesia

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by br3w, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I'm wanting to smoke with a friend tonight and maybe have an edible but I'm having my wisdom teeth removed on the 11th and I've read and heard that weed within 30 days of an operation can cause the anesthesia to not work.. Would I be most likely fine to smoke tonight? Have you guys smoked and then had your anesthesia work no problems?
    Thanks, will rep for proper answers!

2. Oh god i really really hope that's not true because i'm getting my wisdom teeth removed as well.

3. I've never heard such a thing. This past Monday I smoked all day, got in an accident Monday night, and was in surgery by 8 am Tuesday morning- definitely still worked for me.

4. Nothing to that rumor. I had a few patients during my surgery rotation who were regular smokers and that didn't stop them from getting their surgeries. No worries.

5. Something tells me you're not a licensed physician...

6. Depends on what anesthetic! With propofol, it takes a bit more to put you under!

Propofol Sedation Is Reduced by {Delta}9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Mice (full - 2008)
    Propofol Sedation Is Reduced by

Induction dose of propofol in patients using cannabis. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Induction dose of propofol in patients using cannabis. PubMed Journal article abstract

Pharmaceutical Drug-Herb Interaction List (news – 2011) Pharmaceutical Drug-Herb Interaction List | Targeted Cannabinoid Therapy

However with most pain-killing drugs, the effects are enhanced.

Cannabis as an adjunct to or substitute for opiates in the treatment of chronic pain. (abst – 2012) Cannabis as an adjunct to or su... [J Psychoactive Drugs. 2012 Apr-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoids, in combination with (NSAIDS), produce a synergistic analgesic effect (news - 2006) Cannabinoids Enhance Analgesic Effects Of Anti-Inflammatory Drugs, Study Says

Granny

7. Youll be fine. I got a root canal done a while back and was toking daily throughout the process.

8. Licensed PA.