Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed and an increased heart rate...

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by 4ction, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Does anyone know what the heart rate is risen too? Like how many beats per minute compared to just walking around outside with friends.

2. Taking your pulse when you consume cannabis can tell you this. :)
    Your Pulse and Your Target Heart Rate

Each individual's response may vary. I notice no increase in heart rate to speak of.

3. #63 ELF, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011

So smarts answer me this(maybe it will save some time/research)

I'm 22,
    I was born with tachycardia(normal 100beats a min) and low blood pressure(plus I rarely run and didn't go to a gym for about 30month)

been a planthead since 17or18(can't remember lol)

between 18-21 did 4 js daily 7 days a week.

in a regular week spent about 5-6-7grams(more or less) of AK-47(thc 18%)

about my 21st bday started getting huge paranoia attacks everyfuckingtime(heart rate up to

130-140orMore for one hour, shortness of breath, tight chest pains, cold sticky limbs, at least 3times

almost blacked out but only if I had 1/1.5gram in 3bong t0kes)

went to my doc he checked me said my heart is great

quit it for one year anyways

thinking of coming back to the groove

whats your opinion on that?!

Now I think if a make a tiny j(say break 1gram in idk 6-10 doses) should be OK

cause over-smoking like I used to is just unpleasant, costly and stupid

Thanks sorry got sorta long

4. me too

5. Being a graduate neuroscience major who has read quite a bit of research articles and books regarding the mechanisms of marijuana, I can happily answer your question. It doesn't matter if you smoke weed or eat it, you will still get tachycardia. THC is what raises your heart rate, not the smoke. Tachycardia isn't something to worry about, it just means that your heart rate is above 100BPM. In able for your cardiac output to decrease, your heart rate would have to be near or above your maximum heart rate, which is usually 180-200BPM for young healthy adults. Cardiac Output = stroke volume x heart rate. Yes stroke volume does decrease when the heart beats faster (because of less ventricle filling) but your cardiac output will still increase so there's really nothing to worry about. If THC is causing your heart to beat faster than 170BPM, then yes you should quit. THC should induce tachycardia, increase cardiac output with increased cardiac labor and oxygen demand. THC willl also produce vasodilation at the periphery, orthostatic hypotension, and reduced platelet aggregation. Since the heart will have to work harder, bradycardia can actually occur in heavy users, which is a lowered resting heart rate which is very healthy and is usually acquired through heavy endurance training. The actual mechanism of THC raising the heart rate is complex since THC causes stimulation and inhibition of many mechanisms that can influence the heart but the overall increase in heart rate is believed to be from inhibition of the vagal nerve. CBD has little effect on heart rate but increases coronary blood flow and CBN decreases the heart rate so I would imagine that vaporizing should favor tachycardia over smoking. If anyone knows what effect THC does to the coronary arteries, chime in because I sure don't. The max heart rate after smoking marijuana will peak at approximately 25 minutes after smoking so if your concerned, I would recommend measuring your BP and heart rate around 25 minutes or so.[/QUOTE]

I shall add that u never ever mix caffeine in any way with thc from a j. do not consume coffee, energy drinks, coke or pepsi while or after smoking for at least 2 hours. remember Netherlands coffee shops? well those are not coffee shops for a year or so anymore. The dutch government prohibited to sell any caffeine products in the same place that sells thc products. coffee - upper, hemp - downer. mixing both is worse than drinking 4loco and already ended up in 911 for some

6. Comparing cannabis with tobacco

7. #67 peter laska, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
    i just re-read some of my writing on here and have this to say - it's the anticholinergic effect that speeds up conduction at sinoatrial and atrioventricular nodes in the heart. THC has only a little vasodilatation effect. If your heart is racing, it's not just because of vasodilation. Instead, it's largely because the neurotransmitter acetylcholine is being blocked at the M2 receptor in the heart.

You can read that THC is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor on wiki. I think the inhibition of acetylcholinesterase (the breakdown enzyme of acetylcholine) is caused by acetylcholine being blocked. Acetylcholine is blocked and then the body doesn't know that it needs to break it down; the body says there is no reason to make acetylcholinesterase.

Peter Laska